Hot Cold storage bad for speakers?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

ampSnob

Hot Cold storage bad for speakers?

Post by ampSnob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 am

So I have this attic space above the garage where my recording studio is set up. It's not insulated but has a floor. I was thinking of putting a cab or two up there to give them some isolation so I can crank it without going deaf. It would probably be very similar conditions to storing speakers in an un-insulated storage space. My questions are, how bad is summer heat/winter cold on speakers? I don't want to trash my pulsonics. Would I need to make sure they are at a reasonable temp before I fire them up? Should I cover up the front when not in use to keep humidity fluctuations down? Thanks in advance

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Hot Cold storage bad for speakers?

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 am

You're not going to want to subject your old speakers (especially with Pulsonic cones) to that. The changing temperature does affect the paper cone with humidity, etc. making it age faster. They're already 40 years old.

I keep mine (and my cabs) in storage between 50-90 degrees.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Jef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Jef » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Suppose it depends on where you live, but here in New England, no you wouldn't want to do that.

ampSnob

Post by ampSnob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks, good to know. I really appreciate the info.

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johniss0001 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I have kept my cabs in a bit of a damp/cool lockup and i am fortunate my cabs have been ok there is a slight bit of humidity in there but not too bad and i am in a basement here in brighton england.

Only thing is if you store a cabinet in crap conditions my rules of thumb are 1 don't push the cabs hard and you have to run them up before hitting them hard as you may damage the cones
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

Lucas_09

Post by Lucas_09 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 am

I always prefer to rent out storage for all kinds of storage needs. Whether it is time to store my car or I am need of furniture storage in Mulgrave, I rent it out from My Self Storage comapny that facilitate storage space at reasonable price.

Peter_006

Post by Peter_006 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm

One of my friend also had a home studio that he had set up in a separate room. He also faced same problem to store his speakers safely. Then he went to self storage in Surry hills and bought perfect sized containers to store speakers.

David_09

Post by David_09 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 am

I totally agree with that inappropriate storage is really bad for speakers. Therefore, before leaving to UK for 10 months, I stored my speakers with self storage in Wynnum West.