Just bought a Quad of Old g12h

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Just bought a Quad of Old g12h

Post by mightymike » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:47 pm

All 1972

2 are pre rola
he other 2 are transitional rola (basicly pre rola too)

They're gonna sound sweet in my Metro Basketweave cab.

Oh Man.

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:21 am

Oh Man. :)

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:39 am

Man, you've clearly got too much money at your disposal....I can help you spend that money!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :P :P

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:12 am

I'm selling 2 MM equiped amps, that are 1959s done to 12000ish EVH spec.(I have 3 of them, and will keep one) 2 are done. I just finished one a couple days ago, and posted pics in the Metroamp forum, wiring up heaters on the 3rd today.

So that was what was gonna fund my speakers, but these popped up before I was done. I'd called up Chris ****** before hiting the buy it now, just to make sure these where the "ones" to get. He said these are even better than some of the earlier 003 cones for doing the EVH thing.

He's gonna repair the one for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:03 am

Technically those are all transition speakers. They are only "pre-rolas" if it doesn't say rola on the sticker. Yours have the pre-rola cone but the rola label that is what mater's the solder tags are incidental to the cones and label. Great speakers no doubt about that.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:29 pm

The tone should be the same as Pre-Rola right?Construction
is the same, is what Chris told me..

Labels can be peeled. How many people out there
have speakers like mine, that were peeled, and don't know it? They think they have pre-rola, and how could you tell the diff? I couldn't.
What's different other than cosmetics?

I'm just glad to finally have some real speakers, as long as the tone is there, pedigree comes 2nd.

The BW cab I bought of George is so perfect for these. I have goosebumps thinking about it.

It's gonna be fun to see how this smooths out the tone, and which power tubes I'll be able to use and still retain the smooth.
It will be more than before, for sure.

I recently put in Sylvannia pre amp tubes, and NOS GE Fat bottles .
And compared to my Mullards and Siemens on the recording in my signature, are harsh. Not harsh live, just recording. Live it sounded the same, not much different.

Maybe with these new speakers, the Siemens will be too smooth?
The BW instead of Checkerboard will make a difference too.
This new aquisition opens up a whole new can of worms.
And I love it.

Can't wait to hear other styles through it too.
Bet my Strat tone will see an improvement with these.
The JTM 45/100 should like these speakers too.

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 am

I just picked up a quad of 55hz from the 70s and they sound terrific. Not sure how much different they sound from real greenback H30s but they're a heck of a lot cheaper!
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

daneswede

your EVH amp on FLea bay

Post by daneswede » Thu May 25, 2006 10:10 pm

mightymike wrote:I'm selling 2 MM equiped amps, that are 1959s done to 12000ish EVH spec.(I have 3 of them, and will keep one) 2 are done. I just finished one a couple days ago, and posted pics in the Metroamp forum, wiring up heaters on the 3rd today.

So that was what was gonna fund my speakers, but these popped up before I was done. I'd called up Chris ****** before hiting the buy it now, just to make sure these where the "ones" to get. He said these are even better than some of the earlier 003 cones for doing the EVH thing.

He's gonna repair the one for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
That was your Marshall inspired 12000 series amp for sale on Flea Bay wasnt it. I listened to the sound clip and you really nailed that EVH tone.
Was that right where you got the schems through some original pics of the inside of EVHS main amp that I think you said John Suhr took, THe guitar builder guy?? Strange. I had no idea that connection existed .

My buddy Dan wanted to drive to the west side of of FLA and grab that amp[ but he just bought a near mint 1977 NMV Randyu Rhoads inspired Marshall w/ mustards all original . Think the 77 NMVs have Drake??

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Thu May 25, 2006 10:23 pm

gnugear wrote:I just picked up a quad of 55hz from the 70s and they sound terrific. Not sure how much different they sound from real greenback H30s but they're a heck of a lot cheaper!
So the 55hzs from the 70's are in your 68' Basketweave. ?? I still have yet to try Pre Rola Type G12M25s or G12H30s but I could just imagine the warmth and depth they must have in a bottom cabinet.