Has anyone tried Eminence Private Jacks yet?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

1Way

Post by 1Way » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:38 am

Wow, just checked out the gear page forum and found a taste test of several speakers. I downloaded 31 mp3 files and listened to them all twice over. Two choices were the best to my ears, the Scumback speaker models M and H was my favorites. I almost don't want to say it, but the P.J.'s were my least favorite speakers. However, the test was presented by Mr. Scumbag, so I hope that, yet wonder if, the test and recordings was done fairly. But I didn't happen to notice anyone challenging that issue.
NIght
Last edited by 1Way on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

62sg
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by 62sg » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:40 am

Definitely with you on the 'independant' testing.I would always prefer these type so results are not favored in one direction or the other. I will check that out this weekend, 1Way. Thanks for the tip. John
JOHN

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:11 am

been playing since the early 70's...tried the jaxx an they do the job love em

BWilcox

Post by BWilcox » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:44 am

Hi All,

I finally had a chance to load a Private-Jack (16 Ohm) into my DR-Z Z-Best 2x12 cabinet. The other speaker is a Celestion RI G12M25.

This cabinet was originally loaded with a G12H30 RI and a G12M25 RI. The approximate playing hours is 100.

The Private-Jack was broken-in with my sons stereo. 30 Watts (rms) into the 8-Ohm port for 8 hours. VH-1 was the music source.

The Private-Jack sounded great! This speaker is not as bright as the Celestion RI. The familiar mid-range break-up was evident. The high-freq sound was smoother and somewhat lower in level wrt. the Celestion G12M25 RI. The bass response was very good.

Cone-Cry was not detected.
Bruce

newking70
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by newking70 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:35 pm

1Way wrote:Wow, just checked out the gear page forum and found a taste test of several speakers. I downloaded 31 mp3 files and listened to them all twice over. Two choices were the best to my ears, the Scumback speaker models M and H was my favorites. I almost don't want to say it, but the P.J.'s were my least favorite speakers. However, the test was presented by Mr. Scumbag, so I hope that, yet wonder if, the test and recordings was done fairly. But I didn't happen to notice anyone challenging that issue.
NIght
i too like the scumback sa12h, you might want to contact andy z at www.instituteofnoise.com they did some independant test on various speakers...... i really like the scumbacks

erigm

Post by erigm » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:04 am

Ok, I bought two Eminence Legend GB12's for the top two spots of my 412 (V30's in the bottom slots) and I can't stand them. They sound cheap. They have no midrange and sound paper thin. I then bought a 212 from Avatar with Eminence Wizards, and I really like those, but wouldn't mind something a little smoother in the top and even more girth and bass.

My question is this ... would I like the Private Jacks if I don't like the Legend GB12's? Would I even like real pre-rola greenbacks? I like the clips of people I hear using real greenbacks, but I don't want to spend that much money. Eminence MUST make something that sounds like the classic recordings I like. Any suggestions? Thanks!

erigm

Rickfox
Just the numbers in order: 7

Private Jacks

Post by Rickfox » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Hey Erigm, I'm one of the older guys around here!:) Back in the 70's, I played through a Marshall 100 and 2 4X12 cabs with greenbacks. This was my main rig for many years. Now I use a Metro 50 with a Marshall 2X12 cab. The speakers are 1 G12H30 and a Private Jack. As I said earlier, my stage sound is quite similar to my old rig. I'm sorry your experience with Eminence is as it is, but I love the PJ!! I'm thinking 4X12 again, and a pair of PJ's will be in there, if not all four!
Rick

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:19 pm

My question is this ... would I like the Private Jacks if I don't like the Legend GB12's?
That's a tough call.....I can't say for certain but I would have to imagine that the 2 would be at least similar.

That being said, I am sure that the Private Jack is a better sounding speaker than the legend gb12 (I can't recall anybody reporting about how great they were and couldn' wait to get more, etc).....
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

erigm

Post by erigm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Well, the GB12's sound good mixed with the V30's. I got the two 16ohm speakers wired in parallel for 8ohms. I wired the other speakers the same way (2 16ohm V30's) and each pair has their own jack, so I can run any combination. I really like my 16ohm Eminence Wizards in my 212 cab, and my impression was they were supposed to be close to a G12H 30 watter. I guess I was wondering if the Private Jacks sound more like the Wizards than the GB12's.

Is there a limit on this board to when you can post things for sale?
erigm

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:23 pm

I put a PJ and a G12H30 in a 2x12 cab and they sounded real good, better than the two G12H30's that were originally in it. Recently built a 4x12 Marshall style cab and put 2 G12H30's and 2 PJ's in it, sounds even better.

Ken

Steppan

Post by Steppan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Until 3 months ago, I was with 10 eminence spks in my bedroom. lol!
Six GB12 and 4 Wizards.

I built two 2x12 cab's and sold them with the 4 gb12 on the floor.
Kept one 2x12 and that 4x12 (that I built too) on the pic. The two cabinets mixed is the most amazing tone I ever had with my poor rig. The bright edge of GB12's with fat thick bottom of Wizards is f.. cool.

My amp is a (now, it was a jcm800) superlead made by a guy here from brazil. Here's a clip I recorded with only 4x12 cab loaded with wizards.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=3414409

erigm

Post by erigm » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm liking the GB12's more and more. I think, judging from what others have said, I would probably like 4 private jacks in a 4x12.
erigm