4 Webber Speaker Motor Load

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dirtycooter

Re: 4 Webber Speaker Motor Load

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:14 pm

I wana test this theory myself. If the guy replacing two speakers in a 4x12 with weber motors got nice useable reduction then I cannot see how this would not work.
I will test this with my resistor load I built and see. There is the benefit of reactive load from a correct set of speakers here and a power load added, minus subjective reactive load technique with makeshift inductors plus you skip over anything a reostat may introduce in theory :scratch: I mean if it worked 2 for 2 why would not a 3 to 1 ratio??
Won't take more than soldering in a 1/4" jack. I will try and report back as soon as I get time.
My thinking is if you ran 4 4x12's off one speaker jack and those 4x12's were wired series parallel to get back to 16ohms load total and 3 of those were silent then it would have to bog some stuff down someplace. I will check it out.
that would make with my resistors a 400watt total load. 300 being extra. Theoretically you could potentially create a 1300watt total load if you wired 12 resistors/motors and 1 4x12 this way.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:42 pm

That'll work as you expect. I was trying to convey that 3 blocks of 4 motors and a 4x12 would not behave any differently than 3 single motors and a 4x12 wired up in series/parallel. In fact technically the simpler way should be superior.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 pm

So....
would the 4x12 see only 1/4 the power here?? Say a 100w plexi is like 160w cranked. Would the cab see 40watts of that only? Pull two tubes and see only 20watts? I think I am onto something but I been wrong before :lol:
only though I am getting some reactively correct fluctuation back at the OT its seeing this with a tougher resistance/load to move :scratch:

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Yes that's about the size of it. :)

The motors won't be notably different in load to the cab either. Resistors however would be even at some frequencies, higher load at others, and lower load at the rest, depending on the response of the speaker/motors. Neither method is technically worse than the other as far as the component life is concerned, but your ears will pick a winner for sure.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 am

I use 2 of the lower watt speaker motors to take the place of two greenbacks. mounted and wired in the cab, pull two tubes and leave 2 greenbacks. no attenuator needed, no master. love it! try it. you'll get half the volume you have now and you'll find no need for the tone sucker I mean attenuator,