Goodman speaker

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Goodman speaker

Post by BaronGreenback » Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 am

any chance of reposting the original picture? ive got a pair of goodmans im trying to identify.

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Sat May 15, 2010 6:34 am

ok heres the speakers im trying to identify (still cant see the pic in the original post). note the pulsonic bass cone. these test at 16 Ohm on the meter.

someone told me these were the speakers used in the very first marshall bass cabs before they switched to celestion. is that true? (see bottom of page 173 in the doyle book)

any help appreciated.

HTH

Post by HTH » Sat May 15, 2010 7:34 am

I used to have four of those 014 Goodmans in my 4x12 - they weren't very tough in terms of power handling either, only took a few month before some utter pr*ck who we shared rehearsal space with blew three of them and never told me (obviously I found out at next rehearsal when I plugged in); he denied it of course - must have been the speaker fairies :roll: :evil:

I'd say they're nice speakers, really nice (especially with a plexi), but you'd want a 4x12 filled with them and a 50w head to be safe imo.

btw, here's a youtube clip of my gigging combo loaded with a 50w Goodmans P12 Power Range (liked I posted the picture of earlier)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-0_FCizKOI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the problem with the Goodmans power handling comes from the voice coil being smaller than equivalent Celestion speakers, so the heat in the VC builds up and the speaker burns out. Thats my theory anyway.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mislav

Post by mislav » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Hello. I know this speaker because I have the same kind. Would you could send me some sort of snapshot or video clip Goodmans 12 "speaker. :jimi: :hairband:

Majorlead78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re:

Post by Majorlead78 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm

45auto wrote:Goodmans? Allan Holdsworth mentioned that he loved these years ago.
Another user was Ian Bairnson. Not only was he the guitarist for the band Pilot (they had a hit with "Magic"), but he'd become THE long-time guitarist for Alan Parsons starting with the Alan Parsons Project's 1976 debut album, 'Tales of Mystery & Imagination', right up to Parsons' third solo album, 'The Time Machine', released in 1999.

"On any record up until 1981 you can be assured that I played my Les Paul Custom through a Marshall 50 head and 4x12 angle front cab. The speakers were not Celestions, I replaced them with Goodman speakers. Any Strat sounds on Project albums pre 1981 were from a 70s white Strat, which was just a part of many instruments we kept as a kind of Project arsenal. It was a truly horrible guitar! In these days we used careful mic placement for the basic sound and used the studio's effects if they were needed. I never owned a stomp box." - Ian Bairnson http://www.ianbairnson.com/gear/amps/amps.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:12 am

ancient thread alert. :lol:

its a shame there is no good info on goodmans knocking about. the problem is they can look the same, but actually goodmans made loads of different speaker models with different sized magnets, different cones, different spiders, etc, etc, just like celestion did. ive owned at least three types of goodmans (since my post above in 2010) that look the same with that silver label and black magnet cover. but they have been very different speakers.

usually there is a four digit stamp on the cone, and I think that is the model number of the speaker.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 am

I am a user and abuser of goodmans speakers and yes there were afew variations on them and I own most of the variations. I have some like yours baron infact i have 8, 4 in a working 4x12 and they sound absolutely heavenly with my old h/h 150 head and a bass guitar nice punchy tones and with my sound city 120 they sound clear 1 of the best speakers I have ever heard yet they are only rated at 25 watts those version they were used in the marshall bass 4x12s to around 67.

There was a similar version of that one made but with rubber edges not paper and they have a lot more movement and hit you in the chest those were the 12ohm version made for the wem columns and a lot were in wem cabinets.

Then you have the dual cone of that speaker which i have 4 speaker fames in scotland with them in and the cones are dead.

Then you had the audiom 12p ( I have an original booklet on these back in scotland) They came in 25 watts (green label) 50 watts (red label) both in 8 or 15 ohms

Many cab makers used the goodmans laney, selmer, elgen and afew of the other makers which slip my mind now used them. I love my goodmans speakers I can't get enough of them they don't have the same throw as celestions but they are tighter and don't sag which is what i look for in my speakers.

Goodmans speakers had different magnets that's true the early ones had lighter magnets and the red/green labels have heavier magnets and trust me it isn't fun lifting a marshall 4x12 with 4 of those badboys in it!
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 am

I will try and get some pics up of the other goodmans Ive owned. I have seen two 1967 Marshall pinstripe bass cabs with goodmans inside, found from two completely different sources and both had the exact same speaker model inside that I have not found anywhere else. They did not have pulsonic cones, but they were a heavy magnet version of those speakers. Similar to the ones above. If Im honest I didnt rate the tone too much with guitar, but they probably would have sounded alright through a bass.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 am

those old bass cones were specific for marshall if i mind right there are a lot of selmers and early voxes with goodmans cones and I loved the way they sounded.

I had a conversation with charlie watkins before things went sour with him about goodmans speakers. He told me that goodmans were the most expensive speaker at the time. Celestions were middle of the road and Fane were the cheapest.

Goodmans to me are what a speaker should be. Tight, thumpy with no sag like celestions but I will say my goodmans 4x12 compliments my marshall 4x15 nicely not the bassiest sounding bass/guitar rigs but it hits you in the chest. I feel the goodmans are louder than celestions.
John Ross

coffeecupman

Post by coffeecupman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:11 am

Yes I know this thread is ages old, but there is so little info about goodman's speakers I'm not just going to ignore a thread on them when I finally find one!!! :)

I've got an ancient cab which I'm not sure is original or not. It has 4 green backed Goodman 25ws in it, and it's got a Marshall badge front, complete with the RS grille cloth.

It's been through the wars, although there aren't any big tears or anything. "Dolls" is stenciled on the side, and there was a suggestion that it might have been owned by a member of the NY Dolls.

It's been in (climate controlled) storage for a while because I haven't managed to get the kind of play space where I can open up a 4x12 over the last while.

I actually started to doubt its authenticity because the cab structure is unlike pinstripe models. The walls of the cab are more thin than the cabs we're used to.

But if this were the beginning of the beginning of Marshall cabs (and it would be given the badge/coffin logo!!!) maybe the thing really is one of the first Marshall cabs!

I thought the speakers were replaced with Goodmans but if Marshall started out using Goodmans then the speakers could plausibly be originals as well.

The plot thickens!

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

First time logged in to this forum in years.
Green label 25 watt goodmans are late 60's early 70's Wem, seller, laney, elgen and a few other companies used goodmans please upload pics
John Ross

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 am

Funny I did not see this

I had an original late 67/eraly 68 pinstripe cab with Goodmans speakers, it was a B cab with 'thin' metal handles

I had the cab and Brian at Bygonetones had the speakers.

They were original to the cab as the owner had to take a grinder to the screws (before we got there!!)
Neil

shakti

Post by shakti » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am

Presumably that was a 1935B cab?

Interesting, as you see Hendrix occasionally with one or two "Bass"-logo pinstripe cabs in 1968 (Miami Pop for instance). Most likely they started out as Noel's cabs, but maybe Jimi liked the sound of them.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

Bygone_Tones

Post by Bygone_Tones » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:53 pm

neikeel wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 am
Funny I did not see this

I had an original late 67/eraly 68 pinstripe cab with Goodmans speakers, it was a B cab with 'thin' metal handles

I had the cab and Brian at Bygonetones had the speakers.

They were original to the cab as the owner had to take a grinder to the screws (before we got there!!)
I remember that guy, interesting back story of how he tried to give those cabs away to a guitar playing relative and he refused them. :| A free pinstripe stack, unbelievable. He also cut through the original wiring harness just to get the back off, aargh.

The Marshall goodmans speaker is model 1240. You will find that number stamped on the cone and also on the little sticker on the back, if it is still there. Seen them in a few different cabs now. Exclusive to Marshall I think. At least I haven't seen them anywhere else. They do not sound all that great with guitar though in my opinion, but they are bass speakers afterall.

Re Hendrix, it is very possible the original speakers were no longer in the cabs he was using on stage. He was known to go through a lot of speakers.

Some Goodmans info here:

http://www.ajaudio.co.uk/Loudspeakers%2 ... 20fame.htm