Brown Soun Tone Tubby??

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dirtydeeds22

Brown Soun Tone Tubby??

Post by dirtydeeds22 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:19 am

Anyone? Anyone?
Real expensive, but intruiging!!!

Jeff
I WANNA BE ANARCHY

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat May 14, 2005 8:03 am

I really wanna try the hemp cone speakers.......but at that price I might as well try AlNiCo......

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat May 14, 2005 12:30 pm

I want to try them too. But the price is prohibative.

Dan from Anthrax had one in an iso cab, but I don't know which model it was.

I have thinking that I really need a 2-12 or 4-12 with alnicos for my JTM 45 clone.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:17 pm

Hey guys,

I my last cab was loaded with Tone Tubby's (ceramics, not the alnicos)

I can understand the "prohibitive nature there" I have the same feeling for the celestion gh-30's. I have a 1960A loaded with the g-75's, and it seems that these arent the most popular speakers to play through, after reading about everybody wanting to check out V30's, and the like. I never hear anyone LOVING their G75's.

My expirience with the TT's was unreal. I would not even think of calling them a ~prohibitive~ now that I have played through them. They are VERY dynamic, articulate, and have a MASSIVE amount of punch.

You should got to the tone tubby home page and really check it out. Santana, billy gibbons, and eric clapton use them in some of their amps, so that should tell you something. But...........man it is hard to buy before you try. I understand that one all to well. But to sum up this response............You will not be disapointed, I can tell you that much.
Best regards,
Dave

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:08 pm

Eminence has a hemp speaker licensed from Tone Tubby. That might be a cheaper way to get into one.

P.S. G12T-75s are a very good speaker, but is also a very 80s high gain type speaker. Very scooped mid. Nothing wrong with it if you like the sound. I think a lot of players (especially lead players) like the added lows and mid punch of the V30s, but they don't work for everyone. I like them and I also like the G12H-30, which is very 70s rock.
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:08 pm

All accounts I've heard have been that they are amazing as well.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:39 pm

Hello again,

I just wanted to take this one step further.
The new crate V30 head (El84 driven...vox knock off amp, 30 watts Class "A" ~circutry~ ie; cathode biased) is being sold right now through musicians friend. It is compiling a huge high end review rating at the moment. The head is sold with a matching 2x12 cab loaded with two 12' Tone Tubby ceramics, (40/40)
Let me tell you from personal expirience, that amp is riding on those two Tone Tubbys. Take away that cabinet and that unit would have a very different rating right now.
I just really wanted to emphasize the quality of those tone tubbys.
Hope that helps out even more.
Take care of yourself,
Dave

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:46 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]Hello again,

I just wanted to take this one step further.
The new crate V30 head (El84 driven...vox knock off amp, 30 watts Class "A" ~circutry~ ie; cathode biased) is being sold right now through musicians friend. It is compiling a huge high end review rating at the moment. The head is sold with a matching 2x12 cab loaded with two 12' Tone Tubby ceramics, (40/40)
Let me tell you from personal expirience, that amp is riding on those two Tone Tubbys. Take away that cabinet and that unit would have a very different rating right now.
I just really wanted to emphasize the quality of those tone tubbys.
Hope that helps out even more.
You should really visit this link and look around alot.There is everything you ever wanted to know about the cost, production, and logistical dynamics of the tone tubbys...even santana, clapton and gibbons are on the site mentioning the use of these speakers. If you need anymore info, please email me. I know how hard it is to deal with a product that you have no access to.

http://www.tonetubby.com/speaker.htm

Take care of yourself,
Dave

Tybone

Post by Tybone » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:46 am

I am hooked on the tubbies. I have a pair of alnico papercones in a Bluesbreaker RI. Lordy Lord! The crunch AND have good bottom. The distinct lack of bottom in the Blue was bothersome for me with some amps and the TT's fix that. The TT's are early papercones but they won out (by a hair) over a Weber 1230-55 and a Scumback SA12H-75.

I have been using one alnico and one ceramic in an avatar 2x12. It is the bomb. Great bottom great grind and LOUD! Every amp I have likes that combination. I will eventually get to 2 of each in an x pattern in a 1960a slant cab.

Having said all of that, if you get a pair you must de-couple your ears from your amp settings. i.e. "But when I have the controls set like this the amp should sound like that". The tone tubbies are differnet than celestions in how they treat top end frequecies. They are fatter sounding. The celestions "seem" to have way more upper frequencies and presence when you a/b them. btw...I have a pair of Cannabis rex that I was hoping would be close to the ceramic tone tubbies. They are not. The TT's have a HUGE magnet and the CR's have an "M" size magnet. The frequency reponse is quite differnet to my ears.

Hope this helps.

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:19 am

I use two alnico hemp TT cabs. One for my Trainwreck clone and one for my MKIIC+. I have tried them with my Marshalls and they do sound good but don't have a sound typical of Marshalls which is really what I am after.

All TT are not the same. Papers aren't the same as hemp. Magnetics aren't the same as alnicos. H1 aren't the same as H1e or H1edd the more treated the more highs. The standard H1e I find the best.

Also they take an inordinate amount of break in and sound pretty poor out of the box. I hook mine to a Variac for 8 hours over two days or so and they open up and really respond.

Often your first impression is that they are dark and that there aren't any highs but this goes away after playing them a while. You can push your amp in the treble range harder which I really like.

Tybone

Post by Tybone » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Here is a link to some clips I did using an 18 Watt TMB and Tone Tubby Alnico Hempcones (Original Hempcone). The amp was a 2x12 combo.

http://trinityamps.cohrs.ca/BillyLespaux2.mp3

http://trinityamps.cohrs.ca/BillyBeck.mp3

They were not very well broken in but you get the general idea.
The paper cones sound different than that. I had to go play the amp again this moring before work. I have a BB Booster plug into her and it is a very rich creamy touch sensitive lead tone. Clips to follow.

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Star*Guitar » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:30 pm

I'm surpised nobody commented on those clips..Man they are sweet...It made me stand up and take notice.

I was going for a heritage GM...now you got me thinking Tone Tubby...I will definitely give one a test spin.

Billy Gibbons uses one of those in a mic'd iso box in concert. That way he sounds the same from venue to venue.
Star*Guitar