celestions gold ...opinions ?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: celestions gold ...opinions ?

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Happy to help, frenchie. Good luck...even if you are going to use this method on "those other guy's" speakers. By the way, the times I posted were for MY speakers. You can expect it to take a lot longer with production Celestions. Figure on five times as long (over 100 hours per speaker). That's what I found out breaking in those three Heritages (two M's one H) :lol:
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:47 am

Yeah my cab builder told me too it was 100 hours for a celestion v30 , you're right ! And don't worry jim i'll surely order scumbacks from you , as soon as i'll have finished and sold my first diy amp head , i just wanna have a safety margin of money to order big items like speakers overseas , you never know with fees returns and shit ...for the moment i'm little short till i didn't have finished the first amp (still need a pt :? ) , and i need a speaker at least to plug the head for the first fire up ....

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 am

I just played through mine to break them in, I used a 100 watt head (moderate volumes) for a few hours and since then have had the 45 combo running for 9 months, I made the speaker lead from the speakers long enough to reach up to the top so that I can run a 100watt head (at 8ohms) with or without an attenuator through the Mojo 2x12 as it is wide enough to sit a large head cab on comfortably. The JTM45 sometimes just comes long for the ride in the combo :lol:

I did one gig with a 50watt head going through one speaker and the 45 driving the other for clean/dirty.

Nowhere near as tough as the G12Hs to break in (those I would happily variac) but they do have the tone now. The G12Hs took 2 years of intermittent use (thinking these may have to go :roll: ) followed by a good caning one night with a Superbass to do it :twisted: They sit very happily in my Matamp 'TV 4x12 cab'.
Neil

razelfrax

Post by razelfrax » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 am

I figured these speakers were the answer but after 50 hours I've got to admit that they're just not my thing. Too much uppermids . I realise they will get better with time but I think as a strat and tele player I need speakers with more lower mids and punchy full bass. Ive emailed Jim Scum lol and I'm confident that he can help me with my tone quest.
Very rough Demos lol http://www.reverbnation.com/slp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fender Supersonic
2x12 WGS et65's
Custom Shop S1 Tele Relic
Custom Shop 65 Lite Relic Strat

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I have the G10 Celestion Golds in my '63 Fender Vibroverb Reissue. Many here know that Celestion's reasoning behind the marketing of the Gold 10"s and 12"s is to produce the tones of a Vox Alnico Blue Bulldog 15 watt speaker but to provide higher power handling. The only amp that I have ever owned with Blue Bulldogs was an early 60's red panel non-top boost Vox AC-30 amp that I sold to Mark Benson (John Lennon in "1964 The Tribute"). Unfortunately, the cones were pretty worn in this old amp so it was virtually impossible to make any kind of comparison to the Celestion Gold series of speakers. I will say that unbelievably the G10's right out of the box impressed me when installed in my '63 Vibroverb Reissue amp. This was a kind of out of the ordinary experience for me as I've had to break in Jensen, Tone Tubby, and other Celestion speakers in the past. The G10's have all the jangle of a Blue Bulldog but also have the ability to stay tight focused and balanced (and naturally breakup is later with more headroom). The Celestion Gold speakers to me seem to be the epitomy of the vintage and classic tones of old. I have always been a purist when it comes to keeping things stock like using chosen Fender speakers with Fender amps and Celestion speakers with Marshall amps, and I took the chance with these speakers in my Fender VRRI. To my ears the overall results were just as I said before classic and vintage. BTW, in my Fender VRRI amp I used Tung Sol 5881 RI tubes, and the old Groove Tubes 12AX7M (or Mullard) pre-amp tubes. Some vacuum tube sales companies will recommend NOT USING the Tung Sol 5881 RI tubes in amps that exceed 450 volts on the plates OR amps with SS rectifiers. My Fender VRRI exceeds that 450 volt rating AND has a SS rectifier. I noted that some other amp owners on the web use the Tung Sol 5881 RI tubes in amps that meet or slightly exceed the 450 volts max. on the plate and the Tung Sol's handle the higher voltages with no issues. Fortunately for me this combination of tubes and speakers work great and sound magnificent.

Fever Dog

Post by Fever Dog » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:40 pm

I just got a pair of 12 inch golds for a jtm45. It sounds really good. They have to break in. I can hear them slowly changing. I initially had to change the EQ a lot. Using the treble pot at all was out of the question.

Right now I can run everything up the middle to get a really nice balanced sound. I have about 15 hours of low volume use on them. It's gonna take a while to get them settled. You can hear where it's headed. It's pretty cool.

I really like these a lot. I have a celestion blue in a 62 ampeg reverberocket. These speakers sound very similar.
http://www.myspace.com/bigterrible" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;