EVM 12L with non master volume plexi a good match?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

EVM 12L with non master volume plexi a good match?

Post by basile865 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:33 am

Hey everybody. Been reading up on the evm12L a good bit and from what I read it sounds very intriguing. Huge clear low end and mids. Thats really what I'm going for. Hendrix's "who knows" tone is a reference point for me - but I think no matter what speaker he was using, the fact that he had 24 of them at his fingertips allowed for a huge sound. My thoughts are that I could get the biggest sound out of a single 4x12 with evm12L's. I really have never had any experience with them up close and personal though and hope it wouldn't be some hi fi spanky fender sound. I just want the biggest thickest signal that doesn't flub at all.
This is my current rig in concert - its a mode four cab with vintage 30's but I still could've used a little bigger signal. Sorry the sound quality isn't the greatest, I mainly just want to show people where I'm coming from musically that way somebody could say the evm12L would be perfect or could say its all wrong for that style. Thanks for your help, oh and fast forward to 3 minutes on the vid to hear the setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZixmRkXqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I should add although I love rocking out I also love to play more atmospheric stuff, more into the jazz realm. I want to be able to take my strat from crazy woodstock rock all the way to a big box jazz guitar. A full spectrum.

Thanks everyone for input

wharris

Re: EVM 12L with non master volume plexi a good match?

Post by wharris » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I'd like to see some opinions on this, as I have been thinking about it as well. I am playing Les Pauls doing Rock/Blues and 70's rock.

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 am

basile865 wrote:Hey everybody. Been reading up on the evm12L a good bit and from what I read it sounds very intriguing. Huge clear low end and mids. Thats really what I'm going for. Hendrix's "who knows" tone is a reference point for me - but I think no matter what speaker he was using, the fact that he had 24 of them at his fingertips allowed for a huge sound. My thoughts are that I could get the biggest sound out of a single 4x12 with evm12L's. I really have never had any experience with them up close and personal though and hope it wouldn't be some hi fi spanky fender sound. I just want the biggest thickest signal that doesn't flub at all.
This is my current rig in concert - its a mode four cab with vintage 30's but I still could've used a little bigger signal. Sorry the sound quality isn't the greatest, I mainly just want to show people where I'm coming from musically that way somebody could say the evm12L would be perfect or could say its all wrong for that style. Thanks for your help, oh and fast forward to 3 minutes on the vid to hear the setup.
Funny, cause one of my 4-12's is a similar set up... a Mode 4 cab, and I swap the speakers around quite a bit. It previously had 2 EVM12L's and 2 SRO Alnico EV's in it. Absolutely MASSIVE tone, but you could anchor a cruise ship with it. That Mode 4 is an excellent cab!!
Currently its loaded with 4 original G12-65's.
EVM12L's are (IMO) a great speaker for what you're looking for. They wont be "hi-fi" or "spanky" sounding. They WILL reproduce the exact sound of your amp without much coloration at all. They have a very even, strong response across the board, unlike most Celestions, which are usually spiked or dipped somewhere in the frequency response, and DO color the sound for that reason.
There's also no speaker (cone) distortion with an EV. IF you had speaker breakup as part of your tone, then yes, EV's WILL sound cleaner... again, no coloration that way, just reproduction.
As far as bottom end not flubbing out, you've hit the answer on the head. EV's have the tightest, punchiest bottom end of any speaker I've ever heard. If you hear flubbing out, its your amp giving up, not the speaker.
To me, the only negative aspect of EV's is the weight... 4 of them is gonna make one heavy-ass cab, but you'll never ever hear a ballsier, fatter tone come out of a 4-12.

Tasty playing BTW!!
8) 8)

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 am

Try just two evm12l in a 4x12 cab put the speakers on the top and leave the bottom holes open, back closed. Al Estrada ran a cab like that when he was doing his EVH impersonation in the clips below. I have a cab like that I use with my SLO and Alex's Attenuator sounds huge even when not turned up so loud and doesn't need as much ambiance channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vIXuLpPpQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocabgZ-QVUU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

basile865

Post by basile865 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I can't imagine how bone crushing zakk wylde's rig must sound. Full stacks with evm12L's and 6550's..... :shock: I think evm12L's really might be the ticket though. The vintage 30's are the closest to what I'm going for after owning g12h75's, and scumback H55's, but even the vintage 30 has a speaker distortion to it that really sounds like it doesn't want to be doing that :lol: Thankyou!

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:00 pm

basile865 wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. I can't imagine how bone crushing zakk wylde's rig must sound. Full stacks with evm12L's and 6550's..... :shock: I think evm12L's really might be the ticket though. The vintage 30's are the closest to what I'm going for after owning g12h75's, and scumback H55's, but even the vintage 30 has a speaker distortion to it that really sounds like it doesn't want to be doing that :lol: Thankyou!
BTW, if you dont wanna spend mondo bucks on a quad of EVM's, the G12K-100's that the Mode Four 400 watt cab comes with are really nice too. Thats what was in my MF cab, and though they're in a different cab now (A Genz-Benz G-Flex 4-12) they are real nice for heavy clean tones too. VERY solid bottom and mids, though they're NOT EV's... BUT, they're a lot cheaper and weigh a little less.
I've never tried it, but a pair of G12K-100's matched up with a pair of EVM12L's would probably kick major ass.

basile865

Post by basile865 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 pm

whoa this new forum color scheme caught me off guard.....anyway, I was just going to say, I watched a speaker shootout on youtube that has most the familiar popular celestions, some eminence, and the EVM. The EVM is in my top fav's but the other that seemed to sound really nice was an eminence swamp thang. Looking at the specs it's a 59 oz. magnet and 150 watts. So atleast I know I'm leaning towards the darker voiced high wattage speakers. But the fact that a quad of EVM's would cost over $800 or over $400 for two, the eminence are looking nicer at $85 a piece.

Check out the comparison vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:27 am

basile865 wrote:The EVM is in my top fav's but the other that seemed to sound really nice was an eminence swamp thang. Looking at the specs it's a 59 oz. magnet and 150 watts. So atleast I know I'm leaning towards the darker voiced high wattage speakers. But the fact that a quad of EVM's would cost over $800 or over $400 for two, the eminence are looking nicer at $85 a piece.
Yeah, the new look caught me off guard too!!! I guess we really needed a smilie of Ed and Daves face too...
:roll: / :lol:

BRO!!!! Forget those Swamp Thangs!!! I used them with my Soldano and they sucked!! The EVM12L BLOWS those Swamp Thangs completely away... no comparison at all.
I thought the exact same thing you did, and honestly, even though spec-wise they seem like a good move, they're not. They'd probably do a "decent" job as a replacement in a Twin, but for a Marshall and the tone you're looking for???? No way.

THATS one comparison I actually did when searching out speakers for my Sol. The Swamps sounded dark and muffled, and the bottom end was "ok", but even the G12K-100 Celestions would kick the shit out of those Swamps. Once EV's went in, I never looked back.
I know the EV's are expensive, but like 908ssp said... even starting with a pair of them in your 4-12 would sound WAY better than even 4 Swamps. After you get the extra bucks, get a 2nd pair, or lke I said earlier, maybe a pair of G12K-100's would add a nice flavor to the tone. Actually, when I get the chance, Im gonna try that combination myself.
It would almost HAVE to sound awesome... maybe even nicer than 4 EV's cause of the ballsy, cutting tone of the G12K's, and the fierce top to bottom punch of the EV's. There would be no possibility of going wrong with something like that.
8) 8)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 pm

I had 2 12” EV SRO’s in a late 60’s 4-12 Marshall cab years ago. Left the other 2 holes open. Played a 50 watter flat out through it. Got lots of compliments on my “sound”. It did sound great. I miss that cab… :(
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

basile865

Post by basile865 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:57 pm

Well then nuff said! No swamp thangs. :dlr: :dlr: :dlr: :dlr: :evh: :vh: :dlr: :evh: (just wanted to make use of those new important VH smilies haha)

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:58 am

basile865 wrote: :dlr: :dlr: :dlr: :dlr: :evh: :vh: :dlr: :evh: (just wanted to make use of those new important VH smilies haha)
Yeah, we couldnt LIVE without those!!!
:lol: :lol:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
basile865 wrote: :dlr: :dlr: :dlr: :dlr: :evh: :vh: :dlr: :evh: (just wanted to make use of those new important VH smilies haha)

I can. :roll:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 am

NY Chief wrote:
fillmore nyc wrote:

I can. :roll:
Ahhh, ya caught me bullshiting again, Chiefy. I COULD live without 'em too... and I knew it when I wrote it.
:oops: :oops:

I DONT know why I do things like that... Its become a problem.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
fillmore nyc wrote:... maybe a pair of G12K-100's would add a nice flavor to the tone (with a pair of EV's). Actually, when I get the chance, Im gonna try that combination myself.
Since we've been talking about it, in my G-Flex 4-12 (which now has 4 G12K-100's) Im gonna swap the bottom two G12K-100's for a pair of EVM12L's within the next couple of days. Im using a Roccaforte prototype 50 watt head on that cab, which already has a huge tone. Ill post what I find with that combination.
I anticipate a soopa monsta killa...
:twisted: :twisted:

basile865

Post by basile865 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Hey guys - for anyone interested - I just hung out in the Metro Amp booth at the NC southeastern guitar and amp show. They had a guy named Dave running it who was really cool and knowledgeable. He let me test the 67 superbass 68 superlead full stack and blues breaker. They all were using different speakers but my favorite rig was the 67 superbass. the 68 stack was great but the 67 had a deeper, larger kick to it and more headroom which was more my style. Well he let me try them flat out cranked here and there (not too long as to piss off the neighboring booths 8) ) but guess what was loaded in the 67's cab? The Heritage version Celestion G12H30's. They actually had suprisingly plenty of headroom and a deep pure signal. There are a lot of people who have talked about hating these speakers and say theyre too bright but they sounded absolutely excellent in my opinion. Dave told me that out of the box they need breaking in just like any speaker but once they break in it was very clear to me that these are some great speakers. There was the heritage G12M's in the 68 stack and you could get some soring leads but the G12H30's had a lower percussive hit you in the chest bold signal. My favs. :mrgreen:

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey guys!
I'm soon to order a pair of EVM12L's for my 2X12 cab and for the same price I can have either the new Classic Reissue Models or NOS Original "Thick Plate" models . What do you think? Is there any difference in sound between them (of course the originals' seller says that his sound nothing like the new reissue...) :)
Thanks!