Mixing speakers with Celestion G12M Greenback Reissues

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

BBN-Boys

Mixing speakers with Celestion G12M Greenback Reissues

Post by BBN-Boys » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:48 pm

I currently have two Marshall 4x12 cabs.
One 4x12 is loaded with Celestion G12M Greenback Reissues (25W each) and the other 4x12 is loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 (60w each). I primarily use the Celestion Vintage 30 cab for my high gain "modern" sound and get good results. The Greenback cab seems to have a very strong mid-to-high or "mid hump" frequency focus. I kinda like the sound of the Greenbacks but at times I seem to miss much of the bass or fullness of the Vintage 30s.

I've heard of players mixing speakers in a X pattern and getting good results. What would you recommend mixing with the Celestion G12M Greenback Reissues to get a fuller sound??? I've read some UN-favorable results mixing Greenback with Celestion G12H speakers in the same cab. That does it sound like. As I understand, the Celestion G12H are sort of a "in-between" speaker of Greenbacks and Vintage 30s. My other option is to replace all the greenbacks with G12H speakers.

Thanks

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:28 pm

I dont agree with that. Maybe with all celestions but a good G12H30 clone like the 1230-55hz I have sounds great mixed with a GB even a RI. Maybe try the herritage celestions since people are diggin them, webbers, people are talkin scumback now. I like Webbers but I totally dont find the G12H30/G12M mix to be bad. I like it.

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:47 pm

I wouldn't say a G12H-30 is between a Greenback and V30 at all. The G12H-30 is a much beefier sounding speaker than a Greenback with a good amount of punchy low end. It doesn't bottom out like the Greenbacks do. The larger magnet just contributes to an overall punchier sound.

The G12H-30 and V30 are similar sounding speakers with the V30 having a high mid spike that helps it sparkle a little more on clean sounds and also punch through a loud band. However, that isn't to say it is superior. I really like the sound of G12H-30s. It is the sound of 70s rock!

A popular combination is to mix G12H-30s and V30s. They sort of fill out the sound a little more that way. However, I think I'd be tempted to relace the Greenbacks with a complete set of G12H-30s. The Weber G1230-55 is also a very nice speaker.

Celestion's web site has good clips of all the speakers. That might help you decide if the G12H-30 is the sound you are looking for.
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...