Eric Johnson talks about his new Eminence EJ1250 Speakers

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

OdgeUK
Just the numbers in order: 7

Eric Johnson talks about his new Eminence EJ1250 Speakers

Post by OdgeUK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 am

Last edited by OdgeUK on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
73 JMP 1987 w/LarMar
78 JMP 1987
79 2104
Peavey JSX 120
Marshall 1936 G12-65
Gibson LP Custom, Squier CV 50's Strat w/SD '59

OdgeUK

Re: Eric Johnson talks about his new Eminence EJ1250 guitar

Post by OdgeUK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am

73 JMP 1987 w/LarMar
78 JMP 1987
79 2104
Peavey JSX 120
Marshall 1936 G12-65
Gibson LP Custom, Squier CV 50's Strat w/SD '59

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 pm

mmm...paper voice coil ....is it me or it sounds familiar :scratch: ?

ps : congrats jim you moved the pachydermic mainstream industry once again :lol: makes you wonder what would the giants do if they had no ideas to steal , and backstab for :roll: so shamelessly in the open ...and i bet there's some crap written on their corporate brochure about how the company is focused on beeing innovative and ahead of it's time ,that's it i need a puke icon ...

somethin'else

Re: Eric Johnson talks about his new Eminence EJ1250 Speaker

Post by somethin'else » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Here ya go frenchie, dont' mention it...

I saw the NAMM one a week or so ago . . . I thought "hmm, 'versatile' speaker, nice offering".

I didn't know it was PVC and all that. But now I'm thinking, a week later, "EJ? Mr Sensitive Ear? Endorsing a speaker that 'perfectly blends American and British speakers' all in one?" How can that be? It can't be possible! I dunno, folks do put Blues and Golds in American and British amps alike . . .

But to me, EJ sounds the same through anything :? :hide:
dave

scooter.thomas

Post by scooter.thomas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:21 pm

frenchie wrote:mmm...paper voice coil ....is it me or it sounds familiar :scratch: ?

ps : congrats jim you moved the pachydermic mainstream industry once again :lol: makes you wonder what would the giants do if they had no ideas to steal , and backstab for :roll: so shamelessly in the open ...and i bet there's some crap written on their corporate brochure about how the company is focused on beeing innovative and ahead of it's time ,that's it i need a puke icon ...
What in the world are you talking about? Are you saying the paper voice coils that our daddys, grandaddys and great grandaddys used are a modern innovation? And stealing backstabbing giants ... that's some vivid imagination. As for brochure claims, the boots you're lickin' claim to be the best, without qualification.
"Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around." - Han Solo

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm

5 posts man ... quite an introduction ^^ as far as boot licking , well no i have no interest at all in doing that ( ask jim , i 've disagreed with him a few times in the past ) , just doing it in all fairness since the giants wouldn't have bet a penny on reissuing paper voice coils before letting the little ones taking all the risks and scars , i'm not saying jim innovate either and he never pretended so , i'm saying he has the balls to take the risks before big ones eagerly bite on his share ... but they claim the "all new groundbreaking" bullshit quite often for what is in fact borrowed ideas ... that's the nuance ...

don't confuse respect for risk takers and despise for followers with boot licking man that's a totally different story , never had a price cut on scumback , but one often interpret the behaviour of the others through the prism of his own bias as we say :wink:

scooter.thomas

Post by scooter.thomas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:16 pm

frenchie wrote: don't confuse respect for risk takers and despise for followers
George Alessandro has offered PVC speakers (AHEP speakers) for some time. "Jim" would be following him. I don't see it that way, but I'm (desperately) trying to follow your logic.

My guess -- and it's just supposition, as I have no insight -- would be Emi/EJ/Alessandro codeveloped the EJ1250 understanding the potential benefit of paper formers, long understood to sound better. I would imagine the product has been in development for some time, and completely apart from any other vendor's actions. And it bears repeating: paper formers are as old as Moses.

And I think folks that purchase PVC speakers are the real risk takers, since they stand to loose their investment if/when the formers deform or, god forbid, they get a speaker fire. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that paper formers are being offered, but there is a calculated risk.
"Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around." - Han Solo

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm

scooter.thomas wrote: And it bears repeating: paper formers are as old as Moses.
hummm moses , are you sure ? didn't moses wrote the commandments on ROCK tablets instead of paper ?? :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: kidding ... i was itchy making this one sorry

back on the topic , i m sorry i have no insight of the precise developpement calendar the ej1250 went through , you may well be right , my comment simply was related to what it appeared to be considering the release date of the two concurrent product to the public ....

Bunnest

Post by Bunnest » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm

come on man, it was written by Moses in STONE! you pick rocks up off the ground...

:scratch:
68 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
69 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
71 Marshall JMP 100 Metalface
66 BF Fender Pro Reverb
67 BF Fender Super Reverb

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 pm

sure thing bunnest , as you guessed english isn't my native language , so i'm far from flawless when it comes to this level of anglo-saxon subtility ... i'm only trying to put out sentences that barely stand up on their own while focusing on keeping the profound meaning unharmed ( which is the most important thing right ? ) , 80% of the time it seems to work , good enough ratio for my lazy ass ... sincerely sorry if my english mashing up hurt you man ....

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Finally heard the EJ speakers. (in a Marshall 4x12)
Kind of like an old Fender "Jensen" and a G12H combined.
It does have qualities of "Fender Tone" in it. Sounded pretty useful.
Austin Texas
http://www.doug-morrison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm

From the video I would say it sounds good for a lot of things but the highs are just not "right" for Marshall tones.