Marshall 1960BHW, are they really that bad?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

marcandrepaquet
Just the numbers in order: 7

Marshall 1960BHW, are they really that bad?

Post by marcandrepaquet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:39 pm

I am going to buy a new cab to complete my full-stack setup this summer and i was heading toward a handwired marshall cab but the reviews on the internet kind of stopped me. Are they as bad as people say? For now i have a late 70's marshall with blackbacks g12h 75hz which i think is fine but sometimes i find it too trebly for my taste. Are the heritage g12h 55Hz better in that sens, i mean aren't they suppose to be bass speakers? Unfortunatly, i can't find them at my local dealers so it'll be impossible to try them before buying them.
Last edited by marcandrepaquet on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Marshall 1960BHW, are they really that bad?

Post by demonufo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm

marcandrepaquet wrote:Hi everyone, i am going to buy a new cab to complete my full-stack setup this summer and i was heading toward a handwired marshall cab but the reviews on the internet kind of stopped me. Are they as bad as people say? For now i have a late 70's marshall with blackbacks g12h 75hz which i think is fine but sometimes i find it too trebly for my taste. Are the heritage g12h 55Hz better in that sens, i mean aren't they suppose to be bass speakers? Unfortunatly, i can't find them at my local dealers so it'll be impossible to try them before buying them.
My heritage G12H-30 (55Hz) were horribly peaky when new, took many hundreds of hours to break in, and are still a tad harsher than any original greenback variants that I've had the good fortune to plug into, especially ANY of the 75Hz variants.

I think you may be looking in the wrong ballpark here... :(
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

marcandrepaquet

Post by marcandrepaquet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Well, what are the other options availlable in that price range (900-1000$ for a loaded cab)? Sure i'll like to try some of these Scumbag speakers but i'm in Canada and with the shipping fees going through the roof lately it'll put me well over my budget. But c'mon, they can't be THAT bad, no? Anyway, unless i came accross something interesting in the used market, i think i'll gave it a try.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

No, they're not bad, eventually they are good (I kept them after all), but I don't think 55Hz greenbacks are the sound you are looking for. Despite being initially designed as bass speakers, they all have a slightly spikier top end than the 75Hz versions in my experience. Certainly not as smooth anyways. You're looking in the wrong direction IMO.

Perhaps the amp is more the issue. Late 70's 4 holers can be pretty fierce. Especially the 100watters.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

stef

Post by stef » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm

demonufo wrote:Despite being initially designed as bass speakers, they all have a slightly spikier top end than the 75Hz versions in my experience. Certainly not as smooth anyways.
+1

It's hard to tell where's really the source of harsh treble and brightness you're hearing. Could be something in the amp (cold bias, preamp tubes, filter caps, 5nf bright cap with volume I backed down, etc), guitar (pots, pickups, bright sounding wood etc) or cab and speakers. Try your amp with different cabs, maybe brand new marshall 100watt cabs- vintage modern cabs, or tv reissue cabs..

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:24 pm

I bought mine (1960AHW) used for $400 from a guy who bought it blemished from Musician's Friend for $600 then played it for a few years. He demo'ed it for me with a Hughes & Ketner amp head playing a Les Paul Custom Classic. It sounded great! But I never really had access to the original gear that the other members have to A/B it against. It works for me though...

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:40 pm

I also have the 1960bhw cab and really like it. But, as has been stated it took hundreds of hours before they broke in. For me about a year and a half with home made beam blockers.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm

I agree, quite bright and loud, much better when broken in (not as rounded and mellow as their pre-rola namesakes - not really a shock). They will lift a dull amp but might be a bit jarring with an SLP or bright metal panel 100watter.

I wonder of a g65 equipped cab might be more what you are after (or the aesthetics of the HW cab - which I like lots - with a quad of -65s in it).
Neil

stratonenator

Post by stratonenator » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

The other important thing to remember is that cabs have to break in just like speakers, or guitars for that matter. It's pretty amazing what happens when the whole package gets broken in, way more musical and responsive. This really has to be done at volume, there isn't really a substitute
So you think your Mesa-Boogie is cool? You won't even be able to hear it over my Marshall Superlead

jape88

Post by jape88 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 am

stratonenator wrote:The other important thing to remember is that cabs have to break in just like speakers, or guitars for that matter. It's pretty amazing what happens when the whole package gets broken in, way more musical and responsive. This really has to be done at volume, there isn't really a substitute
I've never understood why people do buy new cabs and speakers? generally new cost more and take time to break in, like wise with amps, in a way it doesn't make a lot of sense although I can understand buying new with digital stuff).

How near are the metal handles to the real deal on these things or are they a one piece casting? I've been trying to track some real ones for sometime so it's looking like I might have to shoot for replicas.