Hmm. Really tempted here. 014's. Where's Jim?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jnewlyn
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Hmm. Really tempted here. 014's. Where's Jim?

Post by jnewlyn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Local, old Marshall angled cab. Pulled the back off and it's got G12H's with 102 014 cones. Are these the pre rola, Pulsonic 55Hz speakers?
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Re: Hmm. Really tempted here. 014's. Where's Jim?

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:28 am

I'm burnt up (sunburned) and jet lagged, but here (barely). Email me some pics. I'm still on EST so I'll probably be up around 5 am (if not sooner). The Advil PM's I took three hours ago haven't put me out yet, I wish they had. :palm:
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

jape88
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jape88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:20 am

Looks like you might of found a great buy there, if the price is right.

I take it there's no labels or covers with the Q about 014? Can you get the frame codes to help date it? 014 is a pulsonic produced 55Hz cone. Is the cab original to the the speakers? Rule of thumb should be Red and Black braided loom although they can unwind, vertical baffle strut, what sort of center strut does it have, square end or large vertical rectangle end? I'm guessing pics would be a whole lot easier but you haven't bought it yet, right?
Can you get a chance to play through it, even just a clean low E cranked would help? If you can get a speaker out from the baffle check where the spider meets the frame, you often get elements of rust there and in some cases it gets so bad that the spider can detatch itself so gently feel the join with your finger that nothing has come away. The other thing to check is damp staining, quite often you'll see tide marking in some old cones, especially viewed from the front of the cone which can't be spotted when the speakers are in the cab, but you can check the cab wood for staining from moisture or old spills or even mould ...these sort of things can effect the speakers performance, after all the cone is just paper that will absorb moisture and the like so it it's been sitting in a leaking garage for the last 10 years, it's probably going to sound like it LOL.
Again, all this can be eased if the owner wants rid for $200 ...then just load it in the truck and off you go :lol:
Hope some of this waffle helps.

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 am

T1281s usually don't have any label and they are bass cone G12Hs, great speaker !

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:45 am

That's what they are. T 1281. Two of them had the greenback plastic covers. The other two had no covers but date codes/Frame stamp #'s and cones all had the 014 #'s. The cab is definitely old and beat to shit. Upper right speaker exposed through hole in grill cloth and I can see the dust cover missing. When I reached in, I could gently and evenly push the cone and there weren't any apparent rubs, scratches or grinds. I would thoroughly go through this thing if I bought it anyway but I just wanted to confirm what cone/speakers these are. I'm really tempted at this thing but asking price is a thousand. Pretty sure I can work it but I'm just debating whether or not to have 40+ year old speakers. :what:
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:38 am

Beat to shit? Could be a good one. Shoot me a link via email if you decide to not go for it, I might be interested. I'm now going back to bed after answering 162 emails. :palm:
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Bunnest

Post by Bunnest » Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 pm

40+ year old speakers. :

My '72 april 102 3 cones just turned 40...still sound like NEW...but better... :thumbsup:
68 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
69 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
71 Marshall JMP 100 Metalface
66 BF Fender Pro Reverb
67 BF Fender Super Reverb