How to repair/stop a slight tear in cone?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

vkaxeman

How to repair/stop a slight tear in cone?

Post by vkaxeman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:23 pm

1972 Greenback Pulsonic 102 3 Cone
P1120845SlightTear800x600.jpg
P1120845SlightTear800x600.jpg (263.72 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
P1120849SlightTear800x600.jpg
P1120849SlightTear800x600.jpg (234.68 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
My first project: 1959HW to 12xxx Courtesy of the Late Great Rockstah a.k.a. Edward Van Abrahamian

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: How to repair/stop a slight tear in cone?

Post by 54strat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 pm

A repair in the surround like you have there needs to be flexable. Scumback Jim may offer a more "correct" way to do it but I repaired a tear in the surround of an EV monitor speaker with a thin coat of silicone. It's lasted for over 15 years so far even with a lot of kick drum and bass in my monitor mix, and it was way worse than what I see in yours. Just paint a thin coat of silicone on it with a flux brush. Jim or someone may be able to point your towards some of that black "dope" they use, But silicone will work too.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by BaronGreenback » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 am

are you sure thats an actual tear and not just a crack in the doping? looks like nothing to me if im honest, not something i would worry about anyway.

but you could put a small amount of rubber based glue on there. something that is still flexible when it dries. copydex is good if you are in uk, dont know if its available in US. apply it thinly and sparingly, not a big blob!

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and help! Much appreciated!
Based on your replies, I'm thinking very thin amount of doping.
Ok, so doping, anyone know where to buy that stuff?
My first project: 1959HW to 12xxx Courtesy of the Late Great Rockstah a.k.a. Edward Van Abrahamian

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

54strat wrote:...Scumback Jim may offer a more "correct" way to do it...
+1
Yes there are a few techniques involved.
One way involves using paper and Elmer's.
With a fanned paint brush apply glue to the area then paper and then brush on more glue over the paper.

I have seen newspaper used and paper towels. (I use Viva which has a cloth-like texture.)

With the amount of glue; enough to saturate the area with a thin coat so the paper-patch sticks in place.
Then another thin layer over the paper to begin the fusion process.
I use the clear Elmer's, not the milky white.
Sometimes it's not pretty depending on the tear. Whether it be from a slip of a screwdriver (ouch!) or something else that makes for an unusual rip; but functionality is paper-to-paper or paper-on-paper which ensures the reinforcement and a good bond with transference of sound.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 am

Jim Seavall of Scumback Speakers kindly answered how he would repair this on another post of mine:

"As for the 72 speaker, yes I have the glue to do this as well, but for that small a crack, I would just get some white Elmer's paper glue and put a thin layer on it, let it dry for 24 hours. I'd put some on the front only, as getting it on the back could be tough, unless you use a toothpick or similar to put some on the back since it's so close to the frame."

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 33#p384775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Jim!

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 pm

JimiJames wrote:
54strat wrote:...Scumback Jim may offer a more "correct" way to do it...
+1
Yes there are a few techniques involved.
One way involves using paper and Elmer's.
With a fanned paint brush apply glue to the area then paper and then brush on more glue over the paper.

I have seen newspaper used and paper towels. (I use Viva which has a cloth-like texture.)

With the amount of glue; enough to saturate the area with a thin coat so the paper-patch sticks in place.
Then another thin layer over the paper to begin the fusion process.
I use the clear Elmer's, not the milky white.
Sometimes it's not pretty depending on the tear. Whether it be from a slip of a screwdriver (ouch!) or something else that makes for an unusual rip; but functionality is paper-to-paper or paper-on-paper which ensures the reinforcement and a good bond with transference of sound.
I've used this technique many times. I use black/dark grey tissue paper...the type you'd find in art/craft stores. This blends very well, color wise.
~guitar007