Reasonable source for 4x12 cab in europe

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

leonard.gulyas
Just the numbers in order: 7

Reasonable source for 4x12 cab in europe

Post by leonard.gulyas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Dear members,

I would like to know if the tubeampdoctor.com (alias mojotone) 4x12 slant cab based on marshall 68' 4x12 is reasonable quality compared to george's replica cabs. I would order george's without a doubt if it was in europe (you know, tax, shipping and friends :( ) but with those charges in place I have to skip it.

So basically I need your opinion on that cab or an alternative based in europe.

Regards
Last edited by leonard.gulyas on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Reasonable source for 4x12 cab in europe

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Those cabs are not the equivalent of George's cabs, or even close in the quality. Sorry, I've bought a dozen Mojo cabs over the years for clients and the QC was pretty wide. I had three that were great, I had 9 that were "WTF?". That's why I started offering 4x12's four years back.

I've shipped about a dozen 4x12's to EU, shipping isn't cheap, figure $500-600 USD just for the shipping, plus the cab costs.

I've also shipped about 30 1x12's and 2x12's in the last 7 years there.

I'm not sure why no one in the EU builds a proper Marshall 69 spec cab, but I guess they have their reasons.

Good luck!

Jim
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm

I always thought british ebay was a great source of interesting cabs. I got mine there for cheap. Late JMP bass cab from 1979.

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I was checking it lately but I only found collection only cabs due to high shipping prices.

jape88

Post by jape88 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:22 pm

leonard.gulyas wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I was checking it lately but I only found collection only cabs due to high shipping prices.
I've just checked with a courier who I've sent and had collect a few 4x12's with and for me to send an empty angled (real wood :lol: ) 4x12 cab in a marshall shipping box from the UK to Hungary is 180 euros. The other advantage to buying within europe is that we don't get stung with the dreaded :evil: import tax. The reason most people put collection in their ads on ebay is they think the high cost will put people off, but if you contact them to say that you'll pay for collection your side a lot will do a deal.

In the UK you can pick up some great early 70's cabs that are virtually the same as a '68 (just needs the thicker strut and a ply back panel) or the later 70's one's which require having the vertical baffle strut adding. These really are great value for money buys and if you cost in the time to strip the tolex and find someone to cover in replica '68 finishings you've got a great cab with some aged mojo as well :mrgreen:

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 am

leonard.gulyas wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I was checking it lately but I only found collection only cabs due to high shipping prices.
Mine was also collection only. I arranged a courier to pick it up. Don't be afraid to ask sellers about the options. If you are ok with the prices they will be too. Mostly.

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 am

Thanks for the tips. I would really need your opinion on TAD cabs as they're a little bit less expensive considering the 69Eur shipping cost with UPS.

Thanks in advance.

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 am

You may want to check on parcel2go.com. I imported a few cabs from the UK to France and found really cheap prices on their site.

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:30 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:Those cabs are not the equivalent of George's cabs, or even close in the quality. Sorry, I've bought a dozen Mojo cabs over the years for clients and the QC was pretty wide. I had three that were great, I had 9 that were "WTF?". That's why I started offering 4x12's four years back.

I've shipped about a dozen 4x12's to EU, shipping isn't cheap, figure $500-600 USD just for the shipping, plus the cab costs.

I've also shipped about 30 1x12's and 2x12's in the last 7 years there.

I'm not sure why no one in the EU builds a proper Marshall 69 spec cab, but I guess they have their reasons.

Good luck!

Jim
I found these cabs from Gladius: http://proguitar.eu/ProGuitar.eu/LCC412A.html

Can somebody shed a light on the quality of these, I noticed they are narrower than a standard 4x12 cab, but it can be interesting and based from the pictures it seems quality is ok but recessed handle seems weak, I don't know. What is a "Thile system" can anybody enlighten me?

The Seller quoted a 68 Eur shipping price with insurance which seems very reasonable.

Regards

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 am

I've been thinking about one more option.

http://www.ampmaker.com/infocentre/thread-41.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy makes cabs in UK. I have a really nice head cab made by him. He also makes 2x12 cabs as you can see in that link I gave you. Maybe you can order a custom 4x12 Marshall replica. There are a few people on the forum with some experience with him. I don't know how good are his speaker cabs though. Maybe someone will chime in. Check his price tag. It may cost a little more to ship to Hungary but even with the shipping included I don't think it will exceed that ridiculous 999 eu for that empty Gladius cabinet.

jape88

Post by jape88 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:17 am

jimmyride wrote:I've been thinking about one more option.

http://www.ampmaker.com/infocentre/thread-41.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy makes cabs in UK. I have a really nice head cab made by him. He also makes 2x12 cabs as you can see in that link I gave you. Maybe you can order a custom 4x12 Marshall replica. There are a few people on the forum with some experience with him. I don't know how good are his speaker cabs though. Maybe someone will chime in. Check his price tag. It may cost a little more to ship to Hungary but even with the shipping included I don't think it will exceed that ridiculous 999 eu for that empty Gladius cabinet.
Chris does some great work, he used to build amps under the EVA name which were cool. He'll also recover a cab for you too if you send it to him, even cheaper if you get the tolex off! in fact Marshall will do the same too at a good price, tolex removed though, email Joanne and ask for a quote.
Last edited by jape88 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jape88

Post by jape88 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 am

leonard.gulyas wrote: I found these cabs from Gladius: http://proguitar.eu/ProGuitar.eu/LCC412A.html
The build looks ok and quality woods are used but...
•No metal handles
•Cab is ported at the back :(
•66cm wide and a SL is 74cm wide
•1000 euros, empty :shock:
I'm not going to bang on about buying used but you really do make a saving and if your into old marshalls then why not by the kit when they were made properly when the company were great :mrgreen:

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 am

I contacted Chris about a quote including shipping to 4x12 cabinet. I will let you know guys what's would be the price.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am

What do you guys think of this cab?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Marsh ... 35c339fdec

I contacted the seller directly and told me that I can get it around 1000$.

Is it worth it if the speakers are in good conditions?

Regards

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-Marshall ... 416f56c8b8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A like this one better. Slightly older, good shape and Goodmans speakers I have read great things about. More power handling so that you could run a 100-watter without blowing them.