Grill cloth replacement.

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Grill cloth replacement.

Post by JimiJames » Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 am

(Besides needing a Quad of 6402's that I'd like to pick up A.S.A.P.)
What is the proper name for these samples, S&P Basketweave? Just S&P ?
Also are the sample pic's faded S&P?
I'd like to re-do a Marshall B that has "black" large check. (painted by previous owner ? came like that ? )
I prefer closest to the original material.
Would this be what are in these sample pic's ?

http://www.mojotone.com/core/media/medi ... 3fd1fb4e71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

neikeel

Re: Grill cloth replacement.

Post by neikeel » Sat May 25, 2013 3:29 pm

The sequence for Marshall cloth (AFAIK) is the RS cream Vynair stuff during the Block Logo era until '65 when the pinstripe came in until early 68 when the Salt n Pepper arrived.

The Salt n Pepper (AKA basketweave) cloth always started as black/grey and faded in UV to the brown colours most of the ones you see now. I have three of these and the different colours are in different parts depending on the amount of UV exposure!
The colour in your upper pic is the kind of midway in the process.
The exception, I believe is the oatmeal coloured cloth seen on the purple cabs in the late 60s/70s and reissued on the 'Hendrix' stacks early 90s. This seems to be the colour seen in your bottom pic.

Conventionally the S&P was followed by large chequerboard in the UK in 71/72 and small check in 76 and Black in 77. I think the chequerboard ran a little longer in the US?

What levant (tolex) is on your cab? Metal or plastic handles? Ply or particle board back?
If metal handles and smooth cloth and ply back I think the S&P would be and excellent choice, if plastic handles, elephant tolex and particle back then large check would work as a mid 70s cab.

Your choice of course 8)
Neil

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 am

Does one have an effect on the tone different than another? Meaning, do S&P and large check sound the same? I would think that these are thicker than the black and therefore have a minor affect on the highs.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun May 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Pinstripe trims most highs, followed by S&P followed by chequerboard and then black, all pretty EQ able with most amps.
Neil

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks for the details, neikeel. I really appreciated that. Thanks 8)
Good question rgorke. :thumbsup:
Yes ! That's where I'm going.
I have PS, large & small cheque, but no S&P BW. Never owned one ? huh ? :what: :scratch: :shrug:
Thus the re-do on the extra empty cab. I figured I might as well re-grill...
Yes my goal was to see & hear what a certain type speaker will sound like through a S&P BW.
It's brighter (brightest) than all my others...

I'm seeing what it would sound like in a live gig scenario standing 6-10 feet away.
Not mic'd & No P.A. Different application here. This will illuminate part of a tonal equation for me...

Along those lines, there's a reason why a BluesBreaker combo uses (horizontal) PS :wink:
I'd like to find the closest match S&P BW available... or used from a destroyed cab. Not worried about looks, so
no biggy if stained, just not ripped or torn.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 am

JimiJames wrote: I'm seeing what it would sound like in a live gig scenario standing 6-10 feet away.
Not mic'd & No P.A. Different application here. This will illuminate part of a tonal equation for me....
Bloody loud! I stopped using my '68 B cab with S&P and G12H prerolas as the optimum sound projection seemed to be at the back of any large hall particularly so if up on a highish stage! Sounds realy good but it is quite beamy too. I bought a set of beam blockers for it but I now use the matching S&P '69 A cab with G12Ms and three of these have a Weber beam blocker on them, the fourth is the upper left which I mic and use as my monitor, the blockers seem to spread the sound quite well, even up on stage and open air too.
Sweetest cab seems to be the pinstripe B with G12H25s but worried about trashing the original cloth so it stays at home.

Will be interested to hear your results
Neil

emmjaydubya
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by emmjaydubya » Wed May 29, 2013 11:35 pm

I've done my two cabs with S&P BW, my early 70's A cab with Mojo S&P and my '68 bottom with the Marshall re-issue S&P. If you're looking for the most accurate, funny, I don't think either one of them are. The Mojo is a little heavier grain (thicker weave), more like the original basketweave but less consistent as far as straight lines and thickness of the 'straw'. The Marshall is consistent and pretty near perfect looking, but a little lighter grain, not quite as thick and heavy if you will. Side by side is the only way you could tell, honestly. I prefer the Marshall basketweave, I think it looks better, and with an MG logo and some re-issue Marshall levant, love it!

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 pm

BTW, you can find the Marshall S&P and the large check grill cloth here (under Grill Cloth, Tolex and Piping):

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am

emmjaydubya wrote:I've done my two cabs with S&P BW, my early 70's A cab with Mojo S&P and my '68 bottom with the Marshall re-issue S&P. If you're looking for the most accurate, funny, I don't think either one of them are. The Mojo is a little heavier grain (thicker weave), more like the original basketweave but less consistent as far as straight lines and thickness of the 'straw'. The Marshall is consistent and pretty near perfect looking, but a little lighter grain, not quite as thick and heavy if you will. Side by side is the only way you could tell, honestly. I prefer the Marshall basketweave, I think it looks better, and with an MG logo and some re-issue Marshall levant, love it!

Looks good! 8)
Neil

stef

Post by stef » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 pm

:drool: