'68 bottom cab resto

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

emmjaydubya
Just the numbers in order: 7

'68 bottom cab resto

Post by emmjaydubya » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:29 pm

A few pics of my '68 cab in another thread sparked some interest in some before and after shots, so I thought I'd just do a restoration thread on it for fun.

This cab came into my possession a little over a year ago by way of a trade with an old friend of mine. He had this cab probably coming up on 30 years and I had coveted it the whole time! :twisted: It had been covered in fuzzy Ozite and had a metal grill put in sometime in the early 80's:

When he showed interest in a trade, we made a deal and I had started this thread (http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38485) here in the speaker and cab section to get info on it. It had all of the original hardware with the skinny handles and I believed the speakers to be 20-watt 003 Pulsonic greenbacks original to the cab but after dating the speakers to July '68, that went out the window. I also found out that Celestion used up their supply of magnet covers with 20 watt stickers on the new 25-watt speakers and just glued a 25 sticker over the 20. Made sense because of the glue residue and the stickers I found in the bottom of the cab:

So last summer I started what would become a pretty challenging restoration. First I peeled off the Ozite and lost the grill. You could see black spots all over it where it seemed like someone had spraypainted the bare wood through the ripped holes in the original tolex. This cab definitely had a hard life before the carpet covering:

The baffle board still had basketweave around the perimeter:

And the little caster sockets were still there:

Stripping the glue from the wood was by far the most difficult part, probably took 3 or 4 days for as long as I could stand it. Had to use a high powered heat gun and several scrapers since they used industrial carpet glue. :bang: At this point I thought about how cool EVH's bare wood cabinets looked and considered stopping, ha!

Old Colorado band of yore:

Filled endless dents, dings and splintered off wood with filler and sanded down to a clean slate:

Did I mention the hard life before carpet?

Last edited by emmjaydubya on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

emmjaydubya

Re: '68 bottom cab resto

Post by emmjaydubya » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Next was covering with the re-issue Marshall tolex and I have to give some credit to Jim at Scumback, he has a few threads on TGP that are invaluable for tolex and grillcloth work!

Got tolex, tolex glue, white and gold piping, and re-issue Marshall basketweave grillcloth from http://www.tubesandmore.com/. Nothin' to it but to do it!

Gold piping was up next:

I decided to leave the original paint on the caster cups because they looked fine and I found black pyramid flat-heat wood screws like the originals, on the interweb:

I like my cabs ON THE FLOOR for best tone, casters are for shit when it comes to sound. So, like I've done to all of my cabs over the years, I made plywood skids for the bottom (ala Orange style) out of void-free Baltic birch:

The white piping Marshall sells is of course, refrigerator white. So I like to soak it in strong-ass coffee for quite a few hours so it looks a little more vintage-y. Matches the creamy plastic of the MG logo pretty well. Before and after:

The original rectangular plywood logo spacer on the baffleboard was long gone but at least the logo holes were intact for positioning a new one (MG logo fits perfectly) and the ghost outline in paint told me what the original dimensions were:

A new one, out of birch:

Nails and glue, just like factory. After sanding the baffleboard it appears that it's been three different colors over the years:

Then holes for the logo before black paint:

Baffleboard after installing basketweave and logo:

Installed the baffle and then the original handles. Someone had put fine-thread SAE (American thread) screws in the tee-nuts but the threads looked okay when I took them out. I found some stainless steel 2BA (English thread, pre-metric) x 3/4" online. I was lucky, the threads were fine!

Last edited by emmjaydubya on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Wow, what people did to their gear decades ago. Glad you restored it to its (close to) original glory!!

Thanks for sharing.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Nice pictures; Thanks for sharing.

Ahhh, the eighties and their expanded-metal grilles and ozite-covered racks...

What in the hell were we thinking!!? :? :what: :help: :palm:

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Haha so true. I was amongst them just like everybody else. Although I'm guilt free of doing this to an old Marshall, I will say it probably preserved it to a degree, that Ozite is tough shit!

Lastly I rewired it Marshall/George-style at 16ohms using 18 gauge topcoat wire:

The back is still unfinished because it has a JCM800 style jackplate, the kind that sinks the plug into the cab. A huge hole too big for a 60's jack that I haven't decided to fix yet, so it's just bare wood for now. As you can imagine the cab sounds amazing. it doesn't have as much of a midrange presence as my beloved early 70's top cab, but it definitely thumps with a plexi plugged in! Here it is with my 12,000 (http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39823) which has a Jeff Swanson-built head cab with MG logo and my just finished Variac/reactive load ammo box contraption from this thread: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41625

:shred:

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Glad to see those restoration threads I did years ago are still helping others out. Nice work on the cab, too!

Now you just need a new 5/8" thck 11 ply baltic birch back panel and an era correct jack plate/jack and you're good to go.

Yes, I have the correct jack plates that are repros. I bought a bunch years ago and have some extras...shoot me an email if you're interested.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 am

It's looks like you delivered that cab from an evil spell, what a liberation! :clap:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:47 pm

I will edit my statement, it HAS it's old glory!!! Very well done!!!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 am

Very nice job restoring that cab. I have a couple originals so when I came across this really bad one I stopped after the strip for the bare cab look.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 am

Very nice job :thumbsup:

Interesting to know the coffee trick works, I am debating whether to re-use some pretty tired original stuff or stained new, so I will do some test strips to see how long a soak it takes to get the right age!

ps Alex how does teh stripped one sound vs the others?
Neil

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

That looks awesome ! Could someone post links to those TGP restoration threads please? They may be of use to me as well..
Thanks.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks guys. Some plastics will stain and some won't, white piping does luckily. The shade is pretty comparable to my other old cab which still had its piping when I put new basketweave on it. I tried to stain a new Marshall logo once and that type of plastic won't. When I brew the coffee, I run it through the grounds three times and put the piping in when it's still hot.

I'll bet that cab stripped bare sounds great!

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 am

nice job indeed. yeah stripping the old glue off from someone elses re-cover job can be a real nightmare. i have seen superglue used a few times amongst other stuff. but i find the old brown coloured marshall stuff flies off if you use paint stripper and a scraper, or it will even rub off with a rag if there are any bits in small cracks etc.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 am

Indeed it does. I restored another bottom that was from mid '75. After stripping the tattered tolex, the original glue sanded off very easily. That was an easy resto, but I had to earn this one! Carpet glue is the devil!

RocketRob

Post by RocketRob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 pm

That looks great, fantastic result.

I've got a beat'n up 1922 I picked up used that I have been considering recovering.
I just keep coming back to the fact, I don't really use it any more, and it's just a 1922 :?

Once again, great job.
Robert