G12s

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

beaulieu

G12s

Post by beaulieu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Any info on the G 12 s Celestions? Has 102-003 lead cones. from 1970 what would be a value on a pair of these? Thanks Mark
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: G12s

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:47 pm

The G12S are the soft magnet and if memory serves me correct they are only rated at 20 watts each. These used to be used in a lot of column pa speaker boxes. Nice cones but under powered. Value wise I wouldn't pay more than £100 for a pair
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

jape88

Post by jape88 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:46 am

I used to have a quad of the T1417's lovely sounding smooth speaker, they were a little underpowered (20w) for my 50watter to make me comfortably when the volume increased but did have a nice sweet spot. I'd say they lacked a little in the bass dept. especially at lower volumes. Defo worth a try if you can get them for a good price, BUT check the cones for damp marks discoloration, check the cone join to the frame and spider for excessive rust and looseness. If you can't get to the speakers ask for some pics and a ask the seller if there's any cone rub/cry or vibrations at volume.

Are the speakers minus cover caps usually have a little red celestion sticker in the middle of the magnet or do they have the green plastic caps? if it's the latter then it's a T1517, I've not tried those but having the pulsonic 003 and the small mag I would imagine they are the same speaker.

Value :what: who know's the market has dropped so much, I sold mine in the good 'ole days. I would say a tad more than John has quoted though but it all depends on condition, I have seen a few in the UK go for less as well!!!!

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:53 am

they are great speakers when used with the right amp. they suit low powered amps very nicely. you can find them in old combos and things.

only a few years ago you could buy a pre-rola period quad for about £100. nowadays its maybe £200 to £250 but thats still very low in my opinion. considering you can buy a single G12M speaker for that price, which is the same speaker but just has a slightly larger magnet...

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:04 pm

vintage speakers are funny in the uk the prices vary soo much. I have been given these speakers in the past and like you jape I have sold them. Not to sound nasty but the prices for celestions are all hype for a second hand speaker that very few people know the condition of is taking a big risk. I have bought speakers without hearing them on a whim just because they are cheap. If you are looking for a groovie low wattage speaker I recommend the goodmans there are some nice 25 watters out there. The G12s used to appear in the low end combos like the cheap carlsbros and some laneys and wem gear. My friend's dominator has one in it and for that amp they work.
I am a bit of a cheap skate most I have ever spent on speakers is £300 and that was for a fully loaded 4x15. I got about 12 goodmans speakers for less than £300 and I got a quad of dualcone 8 ohm G12H for free. mind you some of the goodmans I have need reconed 3 to be precise so that's 15 goodmans i actually have for less than £300.
John Ross

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:56 am

well, condition is very important on old speakers that is why prices fluctuate so much. it is not all hype at all. buyers need to be confident they are getting good speakers for sale prices to be good. it is too much of a risk with most ebay sellers because they dont test their speakers properly, some people wont even play through them, or sometimes cant even be bothered photographing them and showing the cones etc. that can easily be money down the drain for buyers and puts people off bidding high prices, there are a lot of duff speakers out there. buying blind just based on a picture of them sitting in a cab is a bad idea. i never pay top whack in that scenario.

On the other hand there are reputable dealers out there that know what to look for, and how to test them properly and they usually get good prices for their speakers because they are a much safer buy.

another reason is there is not much buyer knowledge about old speakers, and people will usually only buy what they know about - speaker models people are really familiar with will bring good prices such as the pre-rola G12M greenbacks or vox blues. but you can forget it with the G12S. that is also why fanes and goodmans sell so cheaply in comparison. some of them are great speakers but its celestion or nothing for most players.

personally i like trying different speaker brands. i was surprised by a nice 1970's eminence square back i bought last year. they can be picked up for next to nothing. crazy.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 am

Completely agree baron. What I mean by hype is everybody goes for celestion all or nothing. People don't know how to test vintage speakers properly and I agree it can be a bit of a gamble. This is one of the reasons I tend to stay away from used vintage celestions. I don't dig celestion speakers I think they are shrill and just too much flub but if people want that then that's their thing our ears are all wired differently.

Very few people I would buy vintage speakers from if it were celestions melvin at amps-n-bits usually a very very safe bet more expensive as you say baron but melvin will look after you.

I am lucky with speakers as I have a signal generator and I can sweep test the speakers and see what works and doesn't and the average person doesn't have these. I listen to speakers at all volumes and listen for strange noises. Sometimes though gambles do pay off and you are lucky and get something cheap but vintage gear is a big risk.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your post.
John Ross

beaulieu

Post by beaulieu » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:30 pm

did your eminace square mad speakers...were the black w green writing? I have some old speakers out of organs and I thinkI have a pair of old eminace id like to get in the hands to someone that will use them rather then have them sit a get unsed. I ck ID numbers tomorrow. Mark

Black speakers with green numbers//letters A5130616-6 67-7914 these were 2 12's and also a 15 canme out of same organ.
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

jape88

Post by jape88 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 am

7914 would date them to the 14th week in '79.