Cork Sniffin'

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Cork Sniffin'

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I think you would find if you went back and checked on most of the great guitar player tones from the 60/70's, that they used either pre rola or early to late 70's Celestion speakers, or Jensens.

In my experience, there are very few players that used "non colored" speakers, to use your term.

If you want just the straight guitar & amp tone, then a JBL G-125, EVM-12L, Altec Lansing or one of the other huge magnet, huge voice coil speakers will do this for you with a fair degree of success. Most players I talk to tell me they are too clean and clinical sounding, and want some color to their amp tones.

As for the digital modeling guys, they might find that works, but there's a fair amount of Axe FX and Kemper users that buy Scumbacks to finalize the tone their modelers are putting out.

So this really isn't a market I need to address, IMO.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:31 pm

A speaker that can sound like any and all speakers with a tonally neutral voice capable of covering say any speaker in the 20Hz to 20KHz range f.e. It's like the Digitech iStomp pedal idea, by itself it's an empty shell but when "programmed" becomes whatever you choose it to be. I can see how speaker manufacturers really wouldn't like the idea however, this is the direction in which our current technology is evolving and taking us. For better or for worse, somebody will expound upon this idea if it isn't already being tested as we speak.

Jesseth

Post by Jesseth » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:54 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:Go to this link, fill in the blanks, click the send button and I'll be happy to make a recommendation for your Haze 40 combo.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/recommend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! :rock:

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 am

Lefty Lou wrote: For better or for worse, somebody will expound upon this idea if it isn't already being tested as we speak.
You're missing the point, sir. You can't make one speaker be all things to all gear/players/tones/etc. It's not going to happen because of two major reasons, although there are more.

1) Each players "ideal tone" is slightly different from the next player.
2) A single speaker can't replicate a 17lb magnet with a 4" voice coil (EVM/JBL, etc) then suddenly become a 2lb magnet with a 1.75" voice coil. The responses/tones are different. A lot of it is mechanical, and cone coloration between the two specifications.

Then you bring in weight, tone response, etc. If I could get away with building one speaker only that did it all, I'd be happy. I'd have less inventory, less explaining, less headaches.

The digital technology can only make up for so much tonally, and speaker response as a "one size fits all" is one area that won't happen due to the reasons above (and probably more).

That's why there are so many car makers, food, clothes, phones, etc, etc.
310-833-6632

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey Jim, thought you might be interested in another alternative to the Hammond 125ESE tranny that you spoke of for a Gibson replacement output tranny. It's the Heyboer part # HTS-6173-1 which meets the requirements you mentioned. I believe its like $35 compared to $50 or greater with the Hammond OT. cool eh?

As for the speaker idea, that's all it (was/is) until someone makes it real.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 pm

If Heyboer is making one of those OT's great. As for the speaker idea...I'm sure someone must have tried to figure this out before now, and probably found out it's not a viable product for the reasons I mentioned.
310-833-6632

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am

Very interesting thread Sir Jim of Southbay and Lefty Lou.
That Gary Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen prefer a higher power capacity also Duane Allman for that matter shows they chose a strong clean signal over speaker distortion is a concept I personally have prescribed to.
Right from my earliest years, with Celestions I chose H-30 magnets over the M-25's.
Both these famous guitarists mentioned are famous for tunes that require superb note separation.
Back to Gary Moore he evolved his tones over the years.
In the early eighties he based his guitar Marshall setup on three 100 watt heads, each with it's own 4X12” cabinet.
Then in the nineties he used the EV speakers with his Soldano SL 100, then DSL 2000's and finally the Marshall 1959 Handwired series.
Yngwie is smother one whose tone relies on preamp boost and stacked hb pickups.
His earlier tone which many hardcore fans myself included prefer was his best.
Speaker distortion works with some artists also.
I must add my new Celestion Creambacks, theG12H-75's cover all bases for me personally.Try them for yourselves.
You'll be pleasently surprised!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:25 am

yngwie308 wrote:Very interesting thread Sir Jim of Southbay and Lefty Lou.
That Gary Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen prefer a higher power capacity also Duane Allman for that matter shows they chose a strong clean signal over speaker distortion is a concept I personally have prescribed to.
Right from my earliest years, with Celestions I chose H-30 magnets over the M-25's.
Both these famous guitarists mentioned are famous for tunes that require superb note separation.
Back to Gary Moore he evolved his tones over the years.
In the early eighties he based his guitar Marshall setup on three 100 watt heads, each with it's own 4X12” cabinet.
Then in the nineties he used the EV speakers with his Soldano SL 100, then DSL 2000's and finally the Marshall 1959 Handwired series.
Yngwie is smother one whose tone relies on preamp boost and stacked hb pickups.
His earlier tone which many hardcore fans myself included prefer was his best.
Lefty Lou wrote: I've heard him live, and believe me it isn't a pleasant experience at 100+ dBs playing arpeggios and scales at 100 mph. My ears were ready for a retread after only 15 minutes of his boutique "noise". I was pleading for him to leave the stage it was so bad. AC/DC came out and made up for the lack of even harmonics and my "ear fatigue" from the Yngwie experience.
yngwie308 wrote:Speaker distortion works with some artists also.
I must add my new Celestion Creambacks, theG12H-75's cover all bases for me personally.Try them for yourselves.
You'll be pleasently surprised!
yngwie308
Lefty Lou wrote: Just don't play very loud. LOL

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 am

I had a cab with G12-70s.... THey were killing the tone of an unmolested 1978 JMP 2203... Then I gigged the amp with V30.... wow, what a difference... then gigged the amp with greenbacks, WOW what a difference... G12-70s are dead, dull and bright... how in the HELL is it possible?

One nice thing to notice is that maybe Celestions is now investigating mr Scumback's work? :lol: that would make justice to those lychbacks, creambacks and all the reissue speakers based on the G12m25 :lol: :lol: I wonder how the sound though.

My actual cabinet has rola G12ms and scumbacks(blue frame) m75s in X pattern... they sound VERY close, with the scums being a bit smoother and rounder, what I like. :rock: :champ:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks