Fender Twin Speakers

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Fender Twin Speakers

Post by sixpakldp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Just scored a 1974 SF Twin Reverb which appears to be loaded with the original Oxford 12L6 speakers. I'm not familiar with these at all but have read everything from them being junk, to they are OK but not as good as the 12T6 to stories of people swapping Jensens, Webers and then ending up back with the Oxfords in the end. The other thing that I see on other forums is people stating to have these re-coned because they get worn-out. Kind of contrary to what everyone on this forum is trying to do which is make speakers sound like old speakers.

Anyone have any experience good or bad with these? Are they really terrible and shouldn't even be tried or is it subjective and if you like'em keep'em?

I have a 2X12 8 ohm cab loaded with scumback 100 watt M75's that are going to get tried out, just because they sound awesome with anything they are connected to.

sixpakldp

Re: Fender Twin Speakers

Post by sixpakldp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Well nevermind this post... The amp was loaded with oxford 12T6 speakers however the magnets fell off during shipping and shattered all of the tubes. So it won't matter because those speakers are now toast.

Hopefully I can recoup some dough from the seller or ebay.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Sorry to hear that. I have a 1965 Super Reverb with a loose baffle from shipping which is bad enough. Always instruct sellers to ship combos with the grille facing DOWN in carton, with an extra layer of corrugated (or wood veneer) under it to protect cones from puncture, and also to remove tubes and place in bubble-wrap. Then mark carton which end is UP. This should be standard. Not foolproof, but greatly reduces the odds of this mishap. If an amp ships in it's normal upright position, the weight of the speakers is too much for old pine cabinets... :rockon:

sixpakldp

Post by sixpakldp » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Yeah it does suck. UPS is coming to look at the damage, hopefully I get enough back from someone to get some new, respectable speakers in the amp. What sucks even more is me being me I'll eventually recone them and in a strange way that will be a fun little project. I would assume I can epoxy the magnets back on and buy a recone kit. In the meantime I'll be thinking about what to put in the amp. Thinking about jensen c12n or some Jupiter speakers. My buddy has WGS speakers in his twin, however I had a pair of wgs invaders that were just not good. They got replaced with scumback M75's which are worlds better. I love those speakers, they are literally like magic.