WGS Green Berets in a 4x12 - How do they hold up?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

GilmourD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

WGS Green Berets in a 4x12 - How do they hold up?

Post by GilmourD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:37 pm

I know a few of you guys have WGS Green Berets so I figured I'd ask.

I've got a Peavey 412MS cab (loaded stock with Sheffield 1290s) that I've been thinking about replacing at least two (maybe all four) of the speakers in with WGS Green Berets. The Sheffield 1290s have a midrange scoop that's great for heavier Marshall tones and my Fender heads clean and with an OD pedal.

I was wondering how they hold up getting smashed with "100" watts from a 1959 type amp?

Now, I will more than likely almost always run my Bugera 1960 (or whatever amp) with my Jet City Jettenuator, but just in case I do decide that I want to knock the windows out of my neighbor's place, will the windows or the speakers give up first?

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: WGS Green Berets in a 4x12 - How do they hold up?

Post by stef » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Just pull two tubes (V5 and V6) and they'll be fine. Amp impedance switch on 8ohm if using a 16ohm cab with tubes pulled

GilmourD

Post by GilmourD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 pm

stef wrote:Just pull two tubes (V5 and V6) and they'll be fine. Amp impedance switch on 8ohm if using a 16ohm cab with tubes pulled
I know that's a potential solution, but still leaves me wondering how much they can really take. I mean, some Marshall cabs in the '60s were loaded with 20 watters, and a lot were loaded with 25 watt greenbacks and run as halfstacks with a full quad in the amp.

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by sixpakldp » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 pm

A while back I purchased two 50 watt invaders for a 2x12 and was curious as to why they didn't make a higher power version and here is the answer I got from wgs

http://wgs4.com/2x12-high-power-greenback

Ask in their forum and they should be able to help. Unfortunately, I really disliked those speakers and eventually sold them and got two 100 wat scumback M75's. I tried to like them but they were thin and had this odd nasal quality about them that you had to dial out with the treble and presence control. At first I thought maybe they needed broken in, but after a year of playing them hard, I still didn't like them. I had the opportunity to a/b/c them with the scumbacks (no break in) and Celestion evh in the same cab. The order was as you expect with the clear winner being the scumback, followed by the evh and then wgs.

It's all subjective though. My buddy has a twin loaded with wgs and it sounds pretty good.

GilmourD

Post by GilmourD » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:44 pm

sixpakldp wrote:A while back I purchased two 50 watt invaders for a 2x12 and was curious as to why they didn't make a higher power version and here is the answer I got from wgs

http://wgs4.com/2x12-high-power-greenback

Ask in their forum and they should be able to help. Unfortunately, I really disliked those speakers and eventually sold them and got two 100 wat scumback M75's. I tried to like them but they were thin and had this odd nasal quality about them that you had to dial out with the treble and presence control. At first I thought maybe they needed broken in, but after a year of playing them hard, I still didn't like them. I had the opportunity to a/b/c them with the scumbacks (no break in) and Celestion evh in the same cab. The order was as you expect with the clear winner being the scumback, followed by the evh and then wgs.

It's all subjective though. My buddy has a twin loaded with wgs and it sounds pretty good.
In all fairness to the Invaders, they do sound different than the Green Berets and I hear that nasal quality in the online clips.