Weber Gray Wolf & Legacy Speakers

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

maltone
Just the numbers in order: 7

Weber Gray Wolf & Legacy Speakers

Post by maltone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello. I'm here try and get some feedback from serious gear/head speaker junkies.
Amp: Joey modded DSL-100
Guitar: Gibson SG Standard, Burstbucker 3 bridge
Cab: On loan, 2X12 Mesa Rectifier with original older V30's from the 90's.

I'm thinking of trying out a different speaker set, likely from Weber. I've been speaking with C.J. and he's been a great help, but I think I've probably driven him half nuts with my questions. So I don't want to bother him anymore. I've settled (most likely on a Gray Wolf ceramic) with:

35 ounce magnet
75 watt rating per speaker
Standard British dust cap
Pre-Rola treatment (this replaces light dope as the doping option)

— I really wish someone would do a "British" Weber speaker comparison with an A-B box, as well as the one George's MetroAmp G12M Shootout https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/646 ... justed.wav

This is his RE-RECORDED version of the original comparison, and still I find the first few seconds (The original G12M) to be much more mid rich, and focused, more vowel like. The Greenback has this "EEOWWNG" kind of thing. That crossroads just seems softer, and the eq shifted or something. It's like saying this out loud: "AHHHH" = G12M, and the Crossroads = "AWWWW" - kind of like cupping your hands over your ears slightly, I have no idea why. It's not bad, just not as open sounding as the greenback.

Question: Would light doping VS pre-rola treatment actually sound, feel different? in the same speaker?

Having never heard a Gray Wolf in person except here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3fVS0pWQ0 through a Fender
It's a Weber Gray Wolf, 75W, Medium Dope. It seems kind of like a brighter, more crisp Greenback thing - sort of.

I'm almost willing to go to a more bright, mid focused speaker like the Gray Wolf with a 30 ounce magnet, because it doesn't seem softened, dark or squishy in the mids like some others. It seems really articulate, and expressive, and has that "EEOWNK—QUACK"middy greenback thing that I love.

We can probably assume, that the guy in the video ordered the stock 50 ounce magnet version of the Gray Wolf, but Weber can customize the magnet type for a 35 ounce, any kind of doping, pre-rola etc.

So does having a 30 ounce magnet instead of a 50 ounce make the speaker MORE rich in the mids, and less bright in the top end?

If I wanted to retain the pick attack and crispness, would I stick with a 30 ounce magnet, light doping instead of pre-rola?

Last, what kind of doping scheme is typical on the Celestion V30? — Sorry, for so much info, because I kind of have some idea about what to look for.... but not really.

maltone

Re: Weber Gray Wolf & Legacy Speakers

Post by maltone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm starting to think this isn't worthy of a reply. In the simplest terms, I guess I'd like to know..
IF you had a Legacy 12 & Gray wolf with exactly the same specs:

35 ounce magnet
75 watt rating per speaker
Standard British dust cap
light dope

Would they be the same speaker?

maltone

No help required

Post by maltone » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:41 am

Just made the decision to buy a pair of Scumback M75-PVC speakers.