'66 Marshall Pinstripe 'A' cab resto

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

emmjaydubya
Just the numbers in order: 7

'66 Marshall Pinstripe 'A' cab resto

Post by emmjaydubya » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:18 am

Been a while since I've posted a thread, pretty excited that I just got ahold of an empty '66 pinstripe cab across the pond from Brian at Bygone Tones. Can't wait to bring it back to life and thought I would document the restoration. Obviously, everything from a cosmetic standpoint will be reproduction: Marshall tolex and piping, E.C. Collins pinstripe grillcloth and M.G. logo and leather handles. I suppose it will just end up looking like a hand-wired reissue anyway, but there's no replacing old plywood for that woody tone! I've restored a number of cabs, and I still have this spring/summer '68 B cab with the skinny metal handles from this thread:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41940

Tearing into an old cab, even if it's been fucked with, is like an archaeological dig.It still has lots of clues to tell you what it is and how long it's been around.This A cab was re-tolexed a long time ago and unfortunately, holes were cut into the sides for cheap plastic handles (in the wrong locations I'm pretty sure):

They used 2BA cheesehead screws when they put them in:

Oddly, they used 2BA tee-nuts that have the same markings as the tee-nuts that mount the speakers, they are identical. So I'm guessing they were from Marshall or from a Marshall?

I plan on reusing some of these tee-nuts under the top side for leather handles like it used to have (reproduction of course). The holes inside tell where the handles once were:

You can see the tell-tale markings of where the tee-nuts used to be:

Last edited by emmjaydubya on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

emmjaydubya

Re: '66 Marshall Pinstripe 'A' cab resto

Post by emmjaydubya » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:18 am

The only markings I found inside were a date (English-style D/M/Y) written in pen at the top of one side:

My guess is Sept. 16, 1972 is when the cab was re-tolexed and re-handled. The tolex looks like 70's Marshall, so maybe? Also found markings in grease pencil, factory marking?

Pretty sure the white piping is original to the cab but it was cut up into 4 pieces when it was reinstalled, so gotta be replaced. :(

Here's the cool part, the baffleboard! Trace amounts of O.G. pinstripe under factory staples!

If you ignore the holes for the large Marshall logo, you can see the holes for the small gold logo below them. I will extract the broken pins later:

It came with baffleboard screws, but most are incorrect. I have about 5 of the right ones, does anyone have any original spares they would part with? :D

The cab also came with the original 2BA countersunk speaker screws (pre-cheesehead). Never heard of these, guess we learn something new everyday:

The ply backboard still has traces of the foam that these early cabs had inside:

The screws don't look original, but pretty sure the scuffed up plastic jack plate is:

Last edited by emmjaydubya on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:08 am

The final clue of this cab's age was revealed when I peeled back the tolex from the top left edge . No dovetails to be found here, just early butt-joined ply:

Without the baffleboard or the back in place, I was surprised at how sturdy the four sides were. No cracks in the glue on the joints at all. This was what I was really worried about when it shipped all the way from the U.K., but looks like I ended up with a really solid early cab! :jimi:

First thing is stripping the cab and getting it sanded down. Then I'll tackle filling the handle holes and caster holes with 11-ply baltic birch, which will be the most challenging part, as I want the seams tight and flush! Then filling small holes and tolex/grillcloth etc...

More pics soon!

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 am

That'll be a fun project. No need to go to the gym the days you work on this cab! :lol:

Sorry about the handles, and hardware. I have metal handles that would fit your present plastic handle holes, or you could get original metal handles for $300 plus, but you'd probably have to dowel the holes, then redrill them for the proper fit.

In any case, good luck!

Jim
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:44 am

Excellent, will look forward to updates :popcorn:
Neil

axeman

Post by axeman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:46 am

:popcorn: Please take down measurements on the cab.
I need Metal Handles
Last edited by axeman on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 pm

axeman wrote::popcorn: Please take down measurements
I need Metal Handles
I have an original set here if you need measurements. They're also for sale. Be back on the 12th.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:36 am

I presume you are going to fill the side holes with matching ply and use some MG handles for the top? (I doubt this is going to see the road again :) ).
If you rout out a ring all the way round the hole 50% of the depth and then make up a panel with corresponding lip you can set the panel into the hole with good glue contact, then you can fill the gap (depending on how precise your cutting and routing is :wink: ).

You will still be able to tell on the inside, but as you say there are enough clues to its age. Did you get a set of chrome dome glides with it too?
Neil

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Yes Neil, precisely! MG leather handles and fill the holes, and no, this cab won't be for gigging, just for looking at and playing fun blues licks through. :)

That lip idea on the plywood is brilliant! I'll give that a try first. I wasn't exactly sure how I would fill it in, thought I might have to use biscuits and the like to hold it in but that idea of yours is the ticket I think.

I don't have any glides, I thought I would just do birch slats on the bottom like I've done on all my other cabs, great contact with the floor, sounds good and won't hurt the cab it sits on!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes I like the slats. I have those on an Orange cabana they do sit solidly with good contact.
Neil

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Exactly. I ripped the idea off from the Orange cabs I have owned in the past and really liked the sound. Never have been a fan of casters or the Homa screw-in bases touching the floor or stage. The solid contact of the plywood slats makes the cab sound in a way that pleases my ears for sure, more bass and more thumpy 'Marshall" sound if that makes sense.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Can you post some pictures once you get it all down to bare wood? I had no idea that Marshall did butt joints early on.

Thanks, looks like a fun project.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:05 pm

You bet, I plan on showing everything I do to it, just for you guys! :thumbsup:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:49 am

:popcorn:

:hide:

:thumbsup:
Neil

Metal Handles

Post by Metal Handles » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks for sharing the project MJW.

A real pinstripe cab is just beyond my collection and experience. I just go back as far as the '68 basketweaves.
Finger joints is all I know. I can't imagine how those corners hold together! All the different screw types. Cool.

I'm really enjoying seeing all these close ups. Keep 'em coming. :worthy: