Seeking Guidance Building New Amp Configuration

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mconn02
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Seeking Guidance Building New Amp Configuration

Post by mconn02 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:51 pm

So after decades, I'm sick of (mostly Fender) SS combos, so even though I know I can't get the best of the best, I want to get a tube head and some quality speakers with some level of customization. Just for background, I haven't gigged in a long time (the 1990s?). I play British blues, rock, and rarely 70s-80s metal. I have an LP, SG, Tele, and Strat. I do pro audio at times and am interested in recoding off this rig. Otherwise it's a glorified practice amp for now. I'm not rich, but it's time. I will find $900-$1100 or so for this project.

My current thought is the Marshall DSL15H head. I think this gives a good chance at quality sound without blowing out my neighbors and becoming homeless, but still the potential of playing modest venues.

Speaker cabs are where things seem to get ugly. I'm not a fan of the C70/80 which seems to be in many Marshall low-end cabs. I also have an apartment, so a 4x12 would be massive overkill, assuming I could afford it regardless. And a 1936 is just getting too pricey.

My current thought is that I could get one or two 1x12 cabinets that aren't too expensive (say the Bugera 112TS) and swap in a Heritage G12M. It then occurred to me that I could mix and match--playing maybe a Heritage G12M & G12EVH together for hard rock, but then either alone or mixing the Heritage G12M with a G12M Greenback for blues-rock to rock-and-roll. Maybe these specific mixes won't sound great, but you get the picture. The nice thing, it seems, is that I could start with one 1x12 cab and then build over time.

So, aside from welcoming criticism on my proposed gear choices, I will ask:

(1) Does spending $600 on 2 1x12 cabs with quality Celestion speakers swapped in sound like a better investment than, say, $350 for a Marshall MX212 with 2 kinda eh Seventy80s?

(2) Getting ambitious, since the 112TS cabinets can connect (presumably in serial), would it be possible to have 4 1x12s configured in 2 pairs connected to the two 8ohm speaker outputs on the head--assuming (however unlikely) I may start gigging again in a year or more?

Over all these years, I really want that Marshall tone, and I understand that going at it on a budget will probably only get me kinda close, but suggestions for alternate heads outside that brand would really need to be compelling.

Thanks so much in advance!

guitar007

Re: Seeking Guidance Building New Amp Configuration

Post by guitar007 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 am

Can you post a link to an example of the tones you're shooting for? It will help in providing you an answer.
~guitar007

mconn02

Post by mconn02 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:30 am

guitar007 wrote:Can you post a link to an example of the tones you're shooting for? It will help in providing you an answer.
I'm not sure what you mean. I can't produce the tones since I don't have the rig. I could link other people's songs? I would really appreciate the clarification and guidance.

Thanks so much!

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm

You got it...a link to other people's songs.
~guitar007

mconn02

Post by mconn02 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:21 am

guitar007 wrote:You got it...a link to other people's songs.
Sorry for the delay--work should be illegal. I started to look for clips and then I realized that I was describing sounds almost everyone knows.

While I'd like some flexibility with this rig, the most important tone areas I'd like to reproduce would be using my Gibsons and getting in a Cream "Sunshine...", Boston "Peace of Mind", early AC/DC (not interested in post-Back in Black) zone. If I can crank it further and get Tipton's British Steel sound, that's a nice-to-have. I have a small Fender combo for clean blues, but having alternative tones on the clean channel would be nice, say for exploring Gilmour-esqe tones.

I hope this helps. Thanks for the queries so far!

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:12 pm

It's a tough call and "tone" is so personal. You may just need to get out out there and play everything you can (at volume...not very easy) to identify what you like and what you don't. I have a couple of those 1X12 Epihone Valve Jr cabs and they sound pretty good with G12Ms...and they're priced to sell.
~guitar007