Vintage Soundpost Dimensions

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Vintage Soundpost Dimensions

Post by chrisom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:33 am

After perusing about 25 pages of listed posts, I thought I'd just ask- :scratch:

I'm trying to upgrade the brace in my (2) 1960B cabinets. Can anybody tell me the dimensions of their sound-post beam in a vintage Marshall bottom cab?

It's sort of like a 2x4", but as we all know, a 2x4" is actually smaller than 2"x 4"...
I've heard there is some variation in sound-post brace dimensions, from cabinet to cabinet.
The one in my '69 cab is (1 and 7/8") by (3 and 3/4").

Also, can anybody tell me the dimensions of the 'square' wooden base-plate that goes between the sound-post and the front baffle on a bottom cabinet?

The smaller one I removed from my '73-'74 bottom cab was 11-ply and exactly 9/16" thick, & (4 and 1/4") wide x (1 and 1/4") tall. The older ones look to be 'around' 4" wide x 4" tall...

How thick are the older ones, and what are the length and width dimensions of the square base-plate? Thanks! :thumbsup:

bill bokey
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Vintage Soundpost Dimensions

Post by bill bokey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:06 am

chrisom wrote: The one in my '69 cab is (1 and 7/8") by (3 and 3/4").
I just checked a '71 1960B and it's 1 and 3/4 by 3 and 3/4. I'll check other cabs eventually.
chrisom wrote: Also, can anybody tell me the dimensions of the 'square' wooden base-plate that goes between the sound-post and the front baffle on a bottom cabinet?

The smaller one I removed from my '73-'74 bottom cab was 11-ply and exactly 9/16" thick, & (4 and 1/4") wide x (1 and 1/4") tall. The older ones look to be 'around' 4" wide x 4" tall...

How thick are the older ones, and what are the length and width dimensions of the square base-plate? Thanks! :thumbsup:
Still the 71 B cab :

3 and 3/4 square, 5/8 thick

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, Bill Bokey!
YOU ROCK! :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :thumbsup:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes, what starts off as 4"x2" rough sawn and is then machine is planed down, how far depends on the guy on the planer.

As it is not size critical it is not cut and measured further - just used as it comes off the pile!
Neil

the jaywalker

Post by the jaywalker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 pm

I used a piece of off-the-shelf 2x6 Douglas fir (actual size 1 3/4" x 5 3/4" or thereabout). I cut the two sides down to give it the square cornered look and net 4" wide. I did some fancy footwork on the end that contacts the baffle around the horizontal brace...a regular work of art for the obsessive at heart :D . I would have preferred pine but oh well..

As a side note this was for a 900 series 1960A cab. I added a vertical brace, a larger post and new check grill cloth. (I also converted it to a 2x12 - it can easily be changed back to 4x12). I cut a piece of pine 1" x 4" (3/4" x 3 3/4") to length for the vert. brace. Using a contour gauge I notched out to accommodate the existing screwed and glued horizontal brace and cut a 16 degree slant in the upper portion. At this point it went a little south on me in that I didn't realize how flexible the baffle is at the horizontal brace (hinge!). My 16 degree angle didn't seem quite right so I futzed with that a bit (should have left it alone!) then glued with pl plus and screwed the brace from the outside. After installing new cloth I put her back together and it came out ok but the grill cloth did relax a tiny bit. I have not yet tried a spray bottle w/water and a hair dryer. All this said so someone else might avoid the mistake.
Pics? Seems Photobucket has broke the internet.