Head Cab Front Panel

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Wattever
Just the numbers in order: 7

Head Cab Front Panel

Post by Wattever » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:50 am

Could someone please tell me the correct way to attach the front panel on a Marshall style head cab.

I can see that the back panels just screw on with exposed head screws, but what about the fronts? I can't imagine them holding with screws from behind just going into the 3/8 Baltic birch.

The only solution I can think of is something like the wood/machine screw combination studs that some manufacturers use for mounting speakers.

TIA

Wattever

Re: Head Cab Front Panel

Post by Wattever » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 pm

It's REALLY hard to believe that no-one here has ever taken the front off a Marshall head cab, or at least noticed what kind of fasteners are holding it on from inside the back. :bang:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

The front panels are held on by screws that go through the internal battens which are drilled and countersunk and into the front panel using Pozidrive screws direct into the wood of the front panel. No glue. The panels are a snug fit with the gold tadpole piping.
Nothing complicated.
Main thing is to ensure the screws are not too long.
Neil

Wattever

Post by Wattever » Mon May 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for your reply!

It's hard to believe that the screws get enough bite into that thin of a piece of Baltic Birch, but apparently there’s enough to do the trick. It's one of the few things I’ve never heard anyone having a problem with on a Marshall. :wink:

I've currently got 5 or 6 head cabs in various stages of construction I really have to get back to... :palm:

Thanks again!