speaker overtones????

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

tonejones

speaker overtones????

Post by tonejones » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi all,
I have noticed a certain overtone/cry?? from some speakers when involved in a Marshall type distorted sound..

In the Sheffield 1200s in my 5150 cab (Peavey's attempt at a Greenback) it sounds like a slight fuzzy overtone (if that makes sense)....I've also heard this out of a 5150 combo and many Marshalls....

While I love this sound......

Does anybody know exactly what this is???

Will this fuzzy overtone be noticeably different in say a Vin 30 than a Greenback than in a ??????

(A neat sidenote.....I didn't have this overtone from my amp, until I put an IEC Mullard in V1 of my amp)!!!!
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Anyone???

Bainzy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Bainzy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:53 pm

Speaker distortion maybe? It could be coming from the amp.

Try running the amp at different volume levels, if the sound you describe gets more prevalent when it's louder, then it's probably from the speakers.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Good call Bainzy.....

IIRC I do believe there is more of it when turned up, although it is there at low volume settings as well.......

It'll be a little while before I can test this premise further, as my band just went on forced maternity leave (but I guess that's always a possibility with a female lead singer) and turning up very loud in our rehersal space just isn't real practical.......

I do remember hearing this same overtone on the most distorted part of the A chord at the beginning of 'Won't Get Fooled Again', and from Malcolm and Angus when they were playing though combos on 'Behind The Music'........definitely a midrange thing.....