Angled VS Straight Cab

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Ruben

Angled VS Straight Cab

Post by Ruben » Fri May 12, 2006 4:56 am

Can somebody tell me the difference between the angled and straight cabs? Are the straight cabs bassier?

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johniss0001 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:37 am

you just answered your own question base cabs have more bass while the angled cab projects the sound to your ear and is more trebley
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Fri May 12, 2006 9:18 am

Ok, thanks :oops:

BUT....is it just the way they are built they give better base response?

The reason I ask is because I own a 75 Checkerboard (Angled, 4 GM 12'S) and looking for a second cab. I can buy a 1960 AX (angled 4 x GM 12's) or a straight '70's original basketweave cabinet. But I'm not going to stack it. Just side by side when playing. Do you think I'll be better of buying the 1960AX this way?

Thanks,

Ruben

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Fri May 12, 2006 10:04 am

If you're not gonna stack it, it's totally irrelevant which you get, so just get the one you think sounds the best. I don't stack my two cabs, but I still got a 1960A and a 1960B to give me more tonal variety.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri May 12, 2006 10:12 am

i play both cabs - i own a straight. the thing i like about a straight is you get the whole cab working. u hear the baffle working more. straights thumb more. slants have that break in the middle of the baffle. my 2 cents.

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Fri May 12, 2006 1:38 pm

I like straight because they sound more cohesive to me. I get more of an out of phase thing going on if I walk around a slant ... probably because the speakers are pointing in different directions.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat May 13, 2006 5:27 pm

gnugear wrote:I like straight because they sound more cohesive to me. I get more of an out of phase thing going on if I walk around a slant ... probably because the speakers are pointing in different directions.
There is interference issues and phase 'dead' spots with any speakers angled towards or away from each other but I think more then anything I hate having the speaker pointed directly at me. Maybe not right at me but angled cabs beam more since their pointed towards you more. Plus with a strait cab you get all the xtra space behind the head for hiding beer (the kind taht isnt sponsoring your band), picks, setlists and all kinds of shit.
Last edited by Billy Batz on Sun May 14, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Sat May 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Dan, how the hell r ya? long time no see. :)

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun May 14, 2006 8:31 am

All good I guess. Just busy. New job. New hours. New lifestyle. Still trying to read every thread here tho :lol:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:24 am

Billy Batz wrote:All good I guess. Just busy. New job. New hours. New lifestyle. Still trying to read every thread here tho :lol:
Just gives the rest of us a chance to catch up in number of posts!!! Only a grand to go....... :roll: guess we're not as talkative as Dan......

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun May 14, 2006 8:31 pm

Ive posted like 20x this whole month and you still havent made a dent. Jezus. Do I have to take command of your handle and post! Youll get your chance. At least Im raking in some dough for once. Im eying one of those Historic/Herritage or whatever, white SGs like Clapton used in Cream. $3k+ :shock: More then I spent on any single piece of gear ever but damn theyre sweet as hell.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:45 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Ive posted like 20x this whole month and you still havent made a dent. Jezus. Do I have to take command of your handle and post! Youll get your chance. At least Im raking in some dough for once. Im eying one of those Historic/Herritage or whatever, white SGs like Clapton used in Cream. $3k+ :shock: More then I spent on any single piece of gear ever but damn theyre sweet as hell.
Mark's the only one of us that can match you for yakking on the forum!!

How are you liking the UA for bedroom levels after some time with it? My wife's hours changed and if I don't find an attenuator solution that will allow me to play with people in the house, I'll never get to play -- literally.........might have to part with some gear to make it happen.

Besides, I still want a nicer Les Paul.....if I got another SG it would have to be the white three-pickup Custom from the Custom Shop!!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon May 15, 2006 6:17 am

Yeah I think that SG is more or less the one Im thinking of. Almost $4k. Jeeezus.

So far I still love the UA. You get some conflicting opinions about it but I dont understand how that can be. Below that certain volume attenuation the UA just kills the standard units more and more and at the lowest possible volume it still sounds very good even if not perfect. Where other attenuators I hate using them at all low, the UA sounds pretty good to me. I also cant see how anyone can actually use the plexi switch but some people find it necessary. Go figure. I dont see any other options accept the same ol units and the Richter and only 2 people here have tried that. I like the UA more with my new cab even.

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Mon May 15, 2006 7:43 am

Billy Batz wrote:Yeah I think that SG is more or less the one Im thinking of. Almost $4k.
That's a sweet axe! I saw in Vintage Guitar magazine that there's an Elliot Easton signature SG coming out soon, also in white with a similar tailpiece. I don't recal if it had the 3 pickups, though.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 am

I love sgs it is a killer axe i am still happy with my sg pro the whammy is perfect so is the p90s, played a modern sg once and it was heavy compared to mine. There is just something about sgs they look better than pauls imo they are curvy just like women. :lol: 8)
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall