Does this exist?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

bobbytouche
Just the numbers in order: 7

Does this exist?

Post by bobbytouche » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:39 pm

I recently built a JTM 45 kit from Mojo. I'm really happy with it aside from this...

I jump the channels, which makes the two volume knobs difficult to mix every time I change volumes.

Is there an amp with the same basic circuit, but with a single input and single volume that will achieve the same (or similar) sound as if the two volumes are mixed equally?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm very inexperienced when it comes to amp circuitry.

bobbytouche

Re: Does this exist?

Post by bobbytouche » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Perhaps a 2203 would be close to what I'm looking for?

I should mention, I play clean and use pedals for my dirt and distortion.

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:35 pm

I'd say the 2203/4 is moving in the opposite direction of what you seem to be going for.
Perhaps pick one of the 2 channels on your JTM that you favor, and "voice" it to suit your tastes, if that makes sense.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

bobbytouche

Post by bobbytouche » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:57 pm

OnTheFritz wrote:I'd say the 2203/4 is moving in the opposite direction of what you seem to be going for.
Perhaps pick one of the 2 channels on your JTM that you favor, and "voice" it to suit your tastes, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I've mostly been plugging into the top bright channel, and then bridging the two from bottom bright to top normal (if that makes sense). The problem I have with using one channel is I can't dial in the same tone as if they're bridged. And as I said, when they're bridged, it's a pain to get the two volume knobs balanced equally as I'm constantly changing volume levels.

I guess this is one those times where I'm just being too picky. I dig the bright channel by itself, just not as much as the two "jumped", and the normal channel is way too bass heavy for me.

Of course, this is a DIY jobby, so I'm sure it's not a typical JTM sound.

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:26 pm

I would do some tweaking on the normal channel. I would first take the 470k mixer resistor and bypass it with a 470pf to 1000pf capacitor, make it like a "bright" channel. I like the 1000pf cap for more midrange, but that's just me. Then I would take out that 330uf (or whatever obscenely large size cap that they have bypassing the cathode resistor) and experiment with different cap values but I wouldn't go over 22uf. This would give you two "bright" channels but one being a little darker and fatter to blend in better, or just as an alternate, usable channel. I don't find the "normal" channel very usable, it's too dark and dull sounding.

Personally I have my amp bridged internally and I have V1a with a 1uf cap, V1b with the standard .68 cap. The 1uf cap is noticeably fatter but not bloated sounding, and when you run both channels bridged it fattens up the sound a bit more.

You're going to end up with a thicker sound, but still articulate, not bloated or dark and muddy. You'll get a touch more gain and some more sustain. I find that jumpering the channels and tweaking each individual channel you have options to get more complexity. I have one channel tweaked bright for that fast attack, and one channel tweaked darker and thicker for fatness and sustain. I love the results I'm getting.

As far as constantly changing your volume levels using your amp knobs, I think I would go crazy if I had to do that during a gig. I've got my rig set up to where I do everything with my guitar knob. The volume doesn't change much but the amount of grind does.

bobbytouche

Post by bobbytouche » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:11 pm

I do need to crack the amp open again as it's a bit noisy (not too bad) and the bright channel volume knob makes some strange squealing sounds as I roll it up and down, it's barely noticeable but bugs me.

I might try a couple of those changes you mentioned, thanks a bunch!