Been Here for a while 1st post

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

printman73
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Been Here for a while 1st post

Post by printman73 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 pm

This forum is great. I'm 62 and have been a printer for 42 years but a musician for 52 years. I was there with rock in the beginning. I tell my grandson that I played Jimmy when he was alive and he looks at me like, did I know him or something.

My first amp build was a valve Jr. changed to a champ with octal board (nice for the condo) 4 years ago. My next amp was a 5 E3 with Classictone tranny's (Great for the beginner and that Fender sound) 2 years ago. I have just finished my 3rd build the Metro JTM 45 (with Classictone Tranny's) . I had a chassis and face plates from Tube Depot (had to make a few changes to build the Metro design will get the metro chassis next time). I want to thank Valve Storm for having the parts and getting them to me quickly. Read a lot of threads on here and built the Lar/Mar master volume into it from the beginning (you only need one speaker out put right?). Thursday (8/1/13) went through all of the bench tests and had a few floating currents but decided not outrageous. Biased the KT-66's and started to fire it up. Huge malfunction but in the out put section. Went back to reading threads again and realized you don't confuse Mercury Magnetics to Magnetic Components and reversed the black and red OT wires. All of the readings within specs now. Fired it up today (Sat.) at 8 am. This is without a doubt a great moment. My first ever Marshall. No noise what-so-ever. This is a sweet sounding amp. Dimed with both channels tied together and using the Master this is why rock is rock.

Just want to thank Jim for getting me on the forum. I had some problems and couldn't pass the 6 string test with my full answer. But it is really great to have to refer to. And other than that it was not a hard build. Followed the build sheet and kept checking the solder joints (found a couple cold ones that saved my bacon) and re-checking the wire routes. Took about a week to build once I got all of the parts. Waited another week so my son could help me bench test it. He's building a plexi 50 and is almost done with it. Not as perfect looking as some but I will go for sound any day. Will post pics later once I figure out how to do it. Sorry I had to bloviate so much but If I can help a Novice (always download the tranny specs and layouts for how they hook up) builder get a little confidence then my time is well spent. Won't get the cabinet done for a while I'm thinking of the cream color tolex. Pic will be on the next post.

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Been Here for a while 1st post

Post by stef » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 am

Welcome :toast:

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Been Here for a while 1st post

Post by axeman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Welcome sir. :toast: