Beano Tone with a JTM45 Head?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Danhalen

Re: Beano Tone with a JTM45 Head?

Post by Danhalen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:28 pm

That sounds fantastic! I've been listening to a lot of Peter Green and early Clapton the last couple of days and you got it. 8)

bluessky
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bluessky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 am

Danhalen wrote:That sounds fantastic! I've been listening to a lot of Peter Green and early Clapton the last couple of days and you got it. 8)
Thanks -- really, I don't think I've received a nicer compliment ever! The Metro JTM45 is inspirational!

Danhalen

Post by Danhalen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:34 pm

I know what you mean. I got to try all the Metro amps before I chose mine and I had a really really hard time deciding between the JTM 45 and the JMP 50. I went for the 50 but I think I see a JTM in my future (not to mention the JTM 45/100 and Super bass/'67 lead I also see :D).

In all seriousness though the fat violin-like tone you can get out of the 45 is just the cat's pajamas imo. On the John Mayall Bluesbreaker's album that one high sustained note near the beginning of Steppin' Out is the single best sounding note ever played on an electric guitar to my ears. There's plenty of other stuff that comes close but that one note man I could listen to that note again and again and again (and I do!).

greensblues

Post by greensblues » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:18 pm

bluessky wrote:
Danhalen wrote:That sounds fantastic! I've been listening to a lot of Peter Green and early Clapton the last couple of days and you got it. 8)
Thanks -- really, I don't think I've received a nicer compliment ever! The Metro JTM45 is inspirational!

Although Clapton always used the Normal channel top right input on his Marshalls.
"By The Way, Which One's Pink?"

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Didn't Clapton use a germanium treble booster on that album? Seems like that'd be a pretty big part of the sound.

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:22 am

No, that was just a piece of speculation that appeared in a book, and was repeated to the point whereby it was eventually assumed to be gospel fact. There is no truth to it. When the amp is properly configured, with the right speakers, with the right guitar and pickups, that sound emerges.

Brad737

Post by Brad737 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi guys,
I FINALLY got my JTM. It's a nice sounding amp, but doesn't really sound that close to the Beano album's tones to me. I realize that the speakers have a lot to do with it, but what sort of settings do you all use? My JTM sounds quite a bit darker than my Super Lead.
Thanks,
Brad
Model citizen...Zero discipline

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:00 pm

The JTM is a darker sounding amp.

To get 'Beano' sounds, you're going to need:

- A PAF equipped guitar
- An open back 2X12 cab, preferably with alnicos
- Use Ch 1 (not Ch 2 as suggested previously)

If you've done it correctly, you should get something that sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKW2mnSK ... ature=plcp

Brad737

Post by Brad737 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Got all that. My Celestion Blues weren't really doing it for me. Do you just max out the Treble, Mid, and Bass? I haven't really used the Presence on my Super Lead. Do you folks use it in your JTMs?
Thanks,
Brad

Ted B wrote:The JTM is a darker sounding amp.

To get 'Beano' sounds, you're going to need:

- A PAF equipped guitar
- An open back 2X12 cab, preferably with alnicos
- Use Ch 1 (not Ch 2 as suggested previously)

If you've done it correctly, you should get something that sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKW2mnSK ... ature=plcp

Brad737

Post by Brad737 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15 pm

These settings REALLY got me in the ballpark. I swapped V1 with an old Telefunken, and swapped the rectifier with an old Mullard GZ34. I plugged into an open-back 212 with a G12H30/ V30 combo. While not exactly "Beano", I'd say I'm about 90% there. It really sounded nice. Like you guys said, a big, fat, warm violin tone. My JTM sounds "sustainy" (is that a word?) without too much gain, where it might sound harsh. Does that make sense? My Scumnicos should arrive soon, and by all accounts, should be the final ingredient.

Guitarwise, I was playing my PRS Modern Eagle and Singlecut (both modded with 57/08s pickups). I also have an R9 Les Paul with Fralin PAFs, but haven't dug it out yet. (Long story, but most of my guitars are in cases in the basement. Had some contractors working around the house, so I hid most of my gear.) As much as I love my PRSi, I think the LP is gonna be THE guitar for the JTM.

bluessky wrote:Presence = 2-ish maybe? I forget. No higher than 4.
Bass = 2
Middle = 10
Treble = 10
Volume = 10 High Treble channel (not jumpered)

Brad737

Post by Brad737 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Well my amp is complete. It's a stock JTM45 with the exception of the Sozo upgrade. I added some NOS glass, and a pair of 16 ohm Scumnico speakers. I wired them in parallel and run them mismatched at 16 ohms. From everything I've been able to read, that's how EC did it. I got the cabinet in a trade. It's a Style 1 cabinet built by Swanson. I have to say I'm simply blown away. The tone is absolutely INCREDIBLE. It's 100% perfect. Like I said in the Bluesbreaker speaker thread, I simply can't get any closer to the Beano tone. This is IT!
Attachments
P1050868.JPG
P1050868.JPG (294.2 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
P1050869.JPG
P1050869.JPG (252.13 KiB) Viewed 3618 times

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:07 am

Looks really sweet!

Mine runs Alnico Golds (I am in the UK) in a Mojo cab (I must say yours looks more compact and tidy) and I have mustards with GECS and mules.

The OT/selector/speaker mismatch even with the stock Metro Heyboer works very well too, more sizzle and harmonics when you push it, I have switched back and forth between 8 and 16ohms and usually prefer the 16ohm position, I need to move my NFB wire from the 16ohm tap to the speaker jack tho'. I have a project that will be quite similar to use an original RS OT to do the full Beano mismatch which will be quite interesting..................
Neil

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 am

neikeel wrote: I have a project that will be quite similar to use an original RS OT to do the full Beano mismatch which will be quite interesting...
What mismatch would that be and according to whom?

Brad737

Post by Brad737 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I've read on 2 or 3 websites that the original Bluesbreaker combos had two 16-ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8-ohmm load. But instead of setting the amp at 8, running it at 16. That's what I did with my Scumnicos. It sounds great to me! :)
Ted B wrote:
neikeel wrote: I have a project that will be quite similar to use an original RS OT to do the full Beano mismatch which will be quite interesting...
What mismatch would that be and according to whom?

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Brad737 wrote:I've read on 2 or 3 websites..
So it must be true?
Brad737 wrote: ... that the original Bluesbreaker combos had two 16-ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8-ohmm load. But instead of setting the amp at 8, running it at 16.
Folks said the same thing about a Rangemaster, which as it turns out, never existed.

There is no reason why the amp would have been set that way, certainly not by Ken Bran, nor by Clapton. In fact, there's a good possibility that amp didn't have an external impedance selector at all.

It's amusing how such conspiracy theories get started.