start up problems

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:56 pm

Flames1950 wrote:
NY Chief wrote:
Flames1950 wrote:I'd start by taking the yellow 5VAC wires loose from the rectifier socket and verifying CAREFULLY that they are 5VAC. The red wire goes to the standby, so there's really nothing else in line to leak 90 volts to the rectifier socket. Does it read the same 90VAC with the standby off?
That's what I'm thinking, Flames. There ain't a helluva lot going on here. All readings have been with the standy switch OFF. I haven't even turned it on yet. I did a quick continuity check of the empty tube socket from the top side this morning. All open except 2 to 8. I'll pull the yellow leads off the socket and measure direct. If I get 90-100 VAC there it's gotta be the tranny, no?

I haven't installed the bias resistor yet (per the instructions) but that shouldn't make a diff, right?
Yeah, is you get 90VAC from the unhooked leads there's definitely something funny about the tranny. The bias resistors shouldn't matter, you're not drawing anything through them with the standby off and no tubes in.
Had an email conversation with George. He thinks it might be just sympathetic voltage readings seeing as how the DC is correct. Thinks it will stabilize with the tubes in. I'm gonna try it tonight.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:02 pm

I thought you posted that with the rectifier in you had no DC coming out? It may be easier to check it at the standby switch and a good ground, the standby doesn't have to be on. You'll just get DC on one side of the switch.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:06 pm

Aah, I see where you said you had 324 coming out.
If you have the DC coming out then I'd give it a try. Maybe your meter reads the ripple in the unfiltered DC voltage at that point as AC, since your DC is really only at pin 8 and ground? It would be strange but what the hey........

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:10 pm

Flames1950 wrote:Aah, I see where you said you had 324 coming out.
If you have the DC coming out then I'd give it a try. Maybe your meter reads the ripple in the unfiltered DC voltage at that point as AC, since your DC is really only at pin 8 and ground? It would be strange but what the hey........
I've got DC at pin 4 as well. That OK?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"