JTM45 Voltage Readings - HELP!

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mutts
Just the numbers in order: 7

JTM45 Voltage Readings - HELP!

Post by mutts » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I started testing my JTM45 build and I am concerned about some voltage readings that I'm getting (see attached file). My readings are shown bolded in the table along with the JTM spec values. The readings highlighted in red are obviously concerning especially on pins 1 and 6 of V1, V2, and V3. The higher than normal voltages make me wonder if the 8.2K resistor on my board might be faulty - I haven't checked it yet. For what it's worth the readings were similarily high without the output tubes installed; the readings in my chart are with the output tubes installed.

Other than this the amp does sound great but I think it requires some further investigation before any catastrophe strikes. Any insight from the guys on the forum would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Voltage Readings.pdf
Voltage Readings
(118.65 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: JTM45 Voltage Readings - HELP!

Post by julkke » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 am

By all means check that dropping resistor.

mutts

Post by mutts » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks Julkke, I think there could also be a problem with the V3 tube. It's glowing but I have to look hard to see it (not like V1 and V2). My thought is if V3 isn't putting out I'm not dropping enough voltage across the 8.2K resistor and thus elevating voltages on V1 and V2. Just a thought.

mutts

Post by mutts » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Just to close this thread I offer my final conclusions to the perceived issue with preamp voltages. It so happens that this was a similar concern experienced by BentFork (see posting below). As our good friend Roe pointed out the preamp voltages in question although high compared to the values in George's instructions aren't really out of wack compared to spec values on an original JTM45. I was not able to find a Marshall schematic for the JTM45 with voltage values but did find one for the Fender Bassman - attached. Roe is right ... no surprise here. So in this case Larry's quote applies "The problem is usually sitting in front of the amp". Indeed!

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p306720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
bassman-5f6-a-schematic2.gif
bassman-5f6-a-schematic2.gif (44.94 KiB) Viewed 2088 times