JTM45 Build (ALL DONE, w pics)

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

C J H

JTM45 Build (ALL DONE, w pics)

Post by C J H » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 am

Hi,

Posted some pics of the process of this build in my JTM100 thread. Thought I might as well do a seperate thread for this one as I´m gonna finish it before I start the JTM100 rebuild anyway. I´m building this one with my dad as a winterproject, right now I´ve done most of the buiding though.. My older brother helped out with the polishing. Amp is a "late blocklogo" inspired build with the following diffs at this time;

- 0.027 mustards instead och 0.022, due to price and availability obviously. I have 0.022 uf caps of different makes and type for PI input cap as I read this is the only spot there might be an audible difference with the 027/022 change. If it sounds good w 0.027 it stays.
- NOS CC´s in most of the recomended positions, CF and MO´s in the other spots
- Tone stack treble cap is a 300pf lemco and bright ch mixer is 430pf, should be 250pf and 500pf. Also due to availability. Have "new production" caps in correct values.
- Onboard filtercap is 22uF atm, might rip a 16uF from my other amp since its going back to dual 32´s anyway.
- OT will be a drake 103 replica and choke will be 3H
- Tubes will be golden lion kt66:s and a mix of 12ax7:s I have lying around to start with for the pre´s. Anyone have any tips on a good current production rectifiertube?

Would appriciate opinions on the alternate values we´ve used, will it sound shitty or even worse, f-ck something up? Also we are currently trying to decide what color the cab should be. Its down to smooth white (cream) and good old black, what do you guys reckon, and does anyone know a source for the wide piping running across the frontbaffle under the logo?

Progess so far;

- Buffed out and polished the aluchassis, not mirrorfinished but looks kinda like the polished chassis of a blocklogo
- Mounted most of the hardware, panels and so on. (.. I just couldn´t leave all the beautiful parts alone waiting for transformers)
- Did the heaters, much happier this time than on my last build (6 years ago).. They´re so crappy they´re the main reason I decided to redo that amp, while at it I´m making quite a few changes as well.
- Wired and mounted pots and inputs
- Prewired the board with jumpers, components and wires

Thats where we´re at right now, the transformerbundle is on it´s way as of yesterday and should be here sometime next week.

Pic showing the polished chassi

Pic showing heaters

Pic showing the wired board, board itself ofcourse by Brian H.

Pic of current status, board is only dropped in for the picture and to check fit.

Thats about it for now
Rock on
Jake
Last edited by C J H on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"blah blah, wof wof!"

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: JTM45 Build

Post by julkke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 am

Nice looking stuff there! Your choose of alternative value caps will give the amp a bit different flavour, which is hard to describe in words before you fire it up. I bet it will sound killer, maybe even better than a regular JTM!

C J H

Post by C J H » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Thank you my fellow scandinavian gatslinger! Yeah I guess there will be a unique nuance to it, have to wait and see if its good or shitty. Will probably switch around some stuff in it anyway, will voice this amp mainly for my les paul. Not saying that it won´t sound good with a strat like its "one or the other" but my SB is voiced with the strat in mind. Or I should say it sounds golden with the strat ´cause I haven´t "voiced" anything on that.. can´t even remeber what values I have in there.. :oops: Anyway it tends to turn a bit dark and a tad muddy w a les paul on some settings.

BTW, the link to your VH-clips is broken.. tried to have a listen earlier.

Jake
"blah blah, wof wof!"

julkke

Post by julkke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 am

Some of my clips might be old and I have removed them. :) Is this link working for you?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49322143/thebrownsound.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C J H

Post by C J H » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Finished this today! Took a while since i´ve only been tinkering with about 3 times a month but it turned out really great. Gonna finish it up with a Lar/mar ppimv tomorrow and the cabinet for it should be here later this week. Now its finally time to open up the 100watter and turn it into a blackflag!

As usual this forum was of great help!
"blah blah, wof wof!"

56goldtop

Post by 56goldtop » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Woah, three people from "Norden" in the same thread, it must be a record :o .

Looking good so far! Are you putting a logo on or anything?

C J H

Post by C J H » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Hah yeah I guess we arent that common on this forum, know thers a couple of norweigans and atleast one dane around as well. But yeah back to the amp,

Only one thing to tend to, it sometimes oscillate slightly when using high treble input I, really annoying. I´ll look it over this weekend.

Other than that, absolutley LOVE this amp. Don´t know if its the mustards, the OT, tubes or what but it just sounds so much richer than my 100 watter.. The EL34s in that one is really old though so they might contribute to it sounding duller.

Logo, yes a repro blocklogo went on the cab that i got today, only have 1 pic from my phone;

If you´re keen check in on my JTM100 thread after easter, should have some updates by then :champ:

:rockon:
"blah blah, wof wof!"

C J H

Post by C J H » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 am

Took some more today, will tidy it up with wirestrips this weekend once ive gotten to the bottom with the sligt osci-probs.

-Jake
"blah blah, wof wof!"

C J H

Post by C J H » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 am

All done, snapped some beautyshots last night. Now that I´ve played it for a bit more than a week I only have one thing to say; This amp sounds AMAZING!

From shimmery cleans, and full specturm of OD from punch to crunch to a smoothed out "womantone". What amazes me the most is how wet it sounds compared to my somewhat dry Superbass. Wonderful, very happy with it!

:rockon:
-Jake
"blah blah, wof wof!"

56goldtop

Re: JTM45 Build (ALL DONE, w pics)

Post by 56goldtop » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:24 am

Looks great :thumbsup: !

Elad E

Post by Elad E » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:28 am

great work!

may I ask where you got the head box?

also, how are you liking the PPIMV? I'm contemplating putting one in my JTM too.

wombat

Post by wombat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:04 pm

very nice!