Got a used Metro JTM-45, now for some updates

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VMR
Just the numbers in order: 7

Got a used Metro JTM-45, now for some updates

Post by VMR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

First off, I'm new here though I have been lurking for a while as I plotted on getting a Marshall. Te last Marshall I had was a 100 watt Super Lead I bought new in 1971 (I think). I sold it after college, as my glory days of playing in a band were over and I embarked on a full time career. Since then I have owned many different Fenders and am no stranger to working on them. But then this Metro JTM-45 popped up on Craig's list for a great price and I did not resist the impulse to nab it! :rock:

I could see from the photos that whoever built it was, well, not very experienced. Oh it worked, and it sounded pretty dang good, but I knew it could be better. So I set to work tidying things up. I even discovered there was no ground wire from the 1st preamp cathode! Idon't know how the amp even worked. I am still waiting on a few parts, like more Sozos to replace the caps that aren't already Sozos, and a set of NOS carbon comps for all the tone path positions.

So far it sounds amazing through the Weber 12 in my Deluxe Reverb. I guess I'll need a dedicated cab for it at some point.

Here are the obligatory pics:

Here she is all dressed up:

Here's the chassis as I got it:

And here's the chassis so far:

I'll update once I get the new parts in.

VMR

Re: Got a used Metro JTM-45, now for some updates

Post by VMR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Here's a close up where you can see how I re-did the grounding of the pots. The amp is quiet as a mouse. No need for the more elaborate Larry grounding. I will replace that cap on the presence pot and the other 3 PI caps with Sozos once they get here. I still need to tidy up that bias wiring as well.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:58 am

Nice work.

These sound best through a 4 x12 but a nice 2x12 will be fine :wink:
Neil

VMR

Post by VMR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Here's pretty much the final version with all the Sozo's and NOS carbon comps installed. Sounds fantastic. It's got more chime than an AC30 at moderate volume.