JTM45 build questions

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

chopperferrari
Just the numbers in order: 13492

JTM45 build questions

Post by chopperferrari » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:37 am

Hi guys,

I'm compiling my list of materials (valvestorm have been great) to buy to build a Metroamp JTM45 and I have a couple of questions.

1. What KT66 brand do you guys recommend as a good place to start. I have read things about a lot of them not being KT66 or having other issues metal basses that short.

2. Does anyone have any experience in ordering trannies in the UK?

Thanks,
Ben

neikeel

Re: JTM45 build questions

Post by neikeel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:34 am

Hi Ben

I am in the UK too.
I personally prefer NOS GEC KT66 and as long as they are genuinely NOS will probably outlive me. They are expensive and if you are on a budget (we all are I suppose) then I like the Gold Lion ones to me they sound very similar to the originals and I believe that they last pretty well (I have fitted them for other people).

Transformers in the UK :|
For looks and period build features etc it is hard to beat Marstran they sound very vintage correct which to me is very important. Down side is the cost of VAT and customs fee on top. Metro and ****** both make good trannies too.

I have had power transformers made for me by Majestic Transformers in Dorset as well as rewinds. Very helpful and great quality. They use plastic bobbins so can look a little different in a resto or precise clone. You also have to tell them what you want - they do have tear down details (pm if you are interested!)
Neil

chopperferrari
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by chopperferrari » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks Neil, great stuff.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for some Marstran trannies. It didn't work out too crazy expensive, shame there isn't a UK company doing what all these US companies are doing considering the original amps are British!

ToneDawg
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ToneDawg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorry for taggin on to your thread but relevant to JTM45 builds I'm working on.

'65ish JTM45 Model 1987 vs 1986. Lead vs bass, which is more popular with players?
I noticed that most of the amps in the data table over on the Marstran site between '64 & '66 have no bright cap. This leads me to think they're 1986 models.

Regarding the bright cap across the volume pot, 100pf is what the schematic says but the data table over on the Marstran site shows some amps w/500pf. Which is more common for the 1965 time period?

Thanks

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:00 pm

ToneDawg wrote:Sorry for taggin on to your thread but relevant to JTM45 builds I'm working on.

'65ish JTM45 Model 1987 vs 1986. Lead vs bass, which is more popular with players?
I noticed that most of the amps in the data table over on the Marstran site between '64 & '66 have no bright cap. This leads me to think they're 1986 models.

Regarding the bright cap across the volume pot, 100pf is what the schematic says but the data table over on the Marstran site shows some amps w/500pf. Which is more common for the 1965 time period?

Thanks
Hard to know exact details. I have seen 100pF on most and not seen 500pF but of course they may be out there. Quite a few PA specs around too (no mixer bypass cap either) these have two stock output jacks in the time you are talking about - the guitar amps only have one although a lot had one drilled (rarely in line or evenly spaced - why? :roll: )

They all sound pretty good depends what you are playing. I prefer the lead spec with 100pF bright cap but some like Udo Pipper got great plaudits for playing a PA spec amp on some clips a couple of years back.
Neil