My first "real" build . . . sourcing components

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sixstringesq
Just the numbers in order: 13492

My first "real" build . . . sourcing components

Post by sixstringesq » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm undertaking a JTM45 build. I've built things in the past, but never the right way and not with the correct components. So it's time to do one right.

I'm sourcing mostly everything from valvestorm but have a couple questions.

1) are mil spec AB resistors okay to use or are they a downgrade from non-mil spec? valvestorm seems to be out of stock of a couple values but have the mil spec for those.

2) where can i get one of those cobalt blue BC 333mf caps for V1? saw ones made by philips, but dont know if those a recommended

3) curious what you guys recommend for the bright, mix, tone stack, and pi caps. was thinking of getting some of those now ceramics. any one of a good source?

4) anyone know where to get a vintage looking brown board with some really good turrets already installed? I don't really like the red one valvestorm sells

neikeel

Re: My first "real" build . . . sourcing components

Post by neikeel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:24 am

The carbon films that Valvestorm work well in nearly all spots.

- 1M on the inputs, 100k on the plates and 27k as NFB resistor are only place I would put a good quality cc.

- I would not use a cap as big as 330uF on V1, originals had 250uF which is technically too big. A 47uF is a good value IMO.

Tone stack and tuning caps ceramic or silver mica are fine.

Coupling caps I guess the Sozos seem to be popular with new builders.

For me I like Piher carbon film resistors, mustard coupling caps and typically RS or Lemco silver micas, mainly because I have a few that I collected over the years, although now have to buy Pihers and mustards intermittently :roll:

The boards you can get:http://modulusamplification.com/Phenoli ... ?sid=12886
Turrets:http://modulusamplification.com/VINTAGE ... 43402.aspx
Neil