Stray washer lost in power transformer of jtm45...help

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Astralblues
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Stray washer lost in power transformer of jtm45...help

Post by Astralblues » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post. I'm currently building a jtm45 and I'm having a few issues.

1. I had a stray washer fall into the underside of the power transformer while I was connecting the circuit board. I've tried everything short of taking apart the thing to get the washer out. My question is, would it cause any problems to have a loose piece of metal floating around in there when I turn it on?

2. All my voltages look correct. However, I turned down all of the controls before I flipped the power switch. When I did turn it on, I heard an ungodly buzz. Almost as if the speaker can it was hooked up to was oscillating at its peak volume. Any idea what this could be caused by?

I've tried looking up the problem but all my leads turn into dead ends..

Thanks all

ivan H

Re: Stray washer lost in power transformer of jtm45...help

Post by ivan H » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:12 am

Personally, I wouldnt be leaving the washer floating around in there. Its a good idea to cover the gaps between the windings & laminate core with tape during construction of the amp, just to be sure of avoiding anything dropping in there. Cheers

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 am

dont use it with a washer inside the PT
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

danman

Post by danman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 am

The noise you heard is likely caused by your OT primary leads being on the wrong power tube socket. Simply swap the wires going to pin 3 of each power tube socket and try the amp again. This is a fairly common issue with new builds and is easy to cure. As for the washer....have you tried using a strong magnet to pull it out of the PT?

Astralblues

Post by Astralblues » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 pm

danman wrote:The noise you heard is likely caused by your OT primary leads being on the wrong power tube socket. Simply swap the wires going to pin 3 of each power tube socket and try the amp again. This is a fairly common issue with new builds and is easy to cure. As for the washer....have you tried using a strong magnet to pull it out of the PT?
Thanks for the advice, I switched the OT leads and it solved the problem! As for the washer, I'm going to continue trying to fish it out

danman

Post by danman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Happy to hear that you got it up and running! I also had a washer slip into the PT on my first build. I ended up having to remove the PT to shake it out. Hope you get it!