Metro JTM 45 build Start up questions

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

kadswan

Re: Metro JTM 45 build Start up questions

Post by kadswan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:04 pm

OK. I think I'm getting somewhere. My voltages are back to where they were with the power tubes not installed. All seem to be just about 10% over. I fired it up again with the power tubes, and got a fairly loud hum, but then a intermittent thump, not the motor boating I was getting before. I know I have the green and orange wires from the board going to V4 and V5 pin 5 they way the instructions have it, but could these be reversed and be what is causing my problem? I was also thinking of reversing the output primaries going to the power tubes, but isn't that usually a loud squeal that happens when those are not in the correct order? Any thoughts. I think I'm making some progress.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:57 am

Good.

The way to check if you have reversed primaries is to simply unsolder one leg of the NFB resistor from the turret leave it mid air and retest.

If that is the case you need to swap the primaries, put the NFB R back and retest.

BTW regarding the pop, do you have 5k6 swamp resistors between the orange/green grid wires and the sockets and if you can find one a 1000v rated 0.05uF cap (600v will do) between the B+ out from the rectifier and ground helps (solder to the socket with insulation on that lead and the other end to ground).
Neil

kadswan

Post by kadswan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Niekeel, I owe you a beer!!!! The first thing I tried before switching anymore wires around was the 5K6 swamp resistors, and voila, no hum no motor boating, no thump and the amp works great!!! I biased the tubes around 45ma and plugged in and played. :rock: I want to thank everyone for the kind help getting this beast going. I have learned a lot so I think this was a great experience in troubleshooting. Now I want to start tweeking. Just can't put the soldering iron away. Thanks again to Danman, VH Junkie and Niekeel. You all rock!!!!! :rocker: :toast: :jimi:

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by danman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:19 pm

Happy to hear that you got it sorted out! Good call Neikeel!

ivan H

Post by ivan H » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:34 am

Hi, u can get tubular 0.005uf/1000V caps at www.justradios.com. They do have a minimum order of $20 tho, but have a lot of items u may be interested in (including NOS I believe). They also have resistors that are properly voltage rated for tube applications. Hope this helps. Cheers

kadswan

Post by kadswan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:59 am

Thanks Ivan. good to know

ivan H

Post by ivan H » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:59 pm

Actually, I just checked their site, it appears they don't have NOS, sorry, but they do have a wide variety of quality components. Cheers

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:35 am

kadswan wrote:Neikeel, I owe you a beer!!!! :toast:
That is good because I like a beer now and again :thumbsup:
Neil