Insight to RECORDED tone possibilties

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

dirtycooter

Insight to RECORDED tone possibilties

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 am

I suppose I will post this here due to the tweaking everyone is doing and trying to mimic that last smidge of the icing on the cake tone.

Most of us are goin through very digital stuff for our recordings 99% probably so this could easily elude us even that much more.
I think this vid does a great job of explaining maybe how "tape saturation" may or could have been used on VH1 enhancing the tone. It seems a pretty fair amount of harmonic magic is acheiveable just in the "goin to tape" process-maybe they really jacked Ed up this way for more fluffiness.
This could explain that bit more gain we perceive maybe?? Just "how much?" is there to the tape sat deal in the final product??

School is on. Take a lookity listen to the "saturation" alone in the very beginning of this-watch the initial vid then there will be a link to another vid of the bald dude explaining each function-that's where the goodies are about the saturation Listen also to the end of the first vid demo recording and you will hear some VH "RECORDING MAGIC" if you have the ears to pick it out and keep in mind Ed's quote how the 2" tape just "whomps" :wink:

Also explains how "phase reverse" or "inverting" on the echo happens in nature. Bunch of good stuff here :thumbsup:

[youtube] http://www.strymon.net/deco/ [/youtube]

dirtycooter

Re: Insight to RECORDED tone possibilties

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Nobody hears the skynard type of OD here with the tape saturation? :what:

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by awangotango » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:32 am

not sure whats meant by skynard saturation but sure the recorded tone will have some tape saturation and therefore be a bit different from a straight marshall as we play. That pedal looks like a nice idea i'd try one if they lowered the price and just made the saturation mode. the other features are not appealing. One easy and cheap way to mimic tape saturation is to use a wire wound resistor for V1b. I feel also just through tube choice and dialing in the amp i can introduce similar affects and so the pedal is just one other way to mimic a marshall 'going to tape'. I dial in mine to what i hear on my turntable setup and feel i can get just about there. Using a CD as a reference introduces more influence than what small influence you'd hear from going to tape. I've tried two dozen carts, a dozen phono pres and a half dozen turntables as well as US UK GERMAN and HOlland presses of VH vinyl. The variation just in presses and carts/phonos is so large and totally a different listen and reference than a CD that the small amount of tape compression is really hard to pick up all things considered. Just for reference and enjoyment, a VH vinyl experience is quite different than a CD IMO I'd recommend people put their money into tubes and turntables rather than pedals. And try the wirewound if you haven't already.

7string

Post by 7string » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:16 am

DECO + Kemper = win. :help:

7string

Post by 7string » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 am

You're right about the tape saturation. Most of the top recording engineers would overload the inputs of the 2" tape machine beyond the capabilities of the tape. It would saturate into a super cool sounding natural lossless compression. They say it is the best compression, period.

There is a cool free VST plug in called FerricTDS that sounds somewhat like that.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:45 pm

If you listen to the one part where he increases the saturation knob it begins to overdrive taken the clean tone he was using into some breakup and it reminds me of skynard kinda breakup