Matt Bruck Demo (old EVH tech)

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

FL6

Re: Matt Bruck Demo (old EVH tech)

Post by FL6 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:I just have TUT3 (Generations of tone). Its like 300 pages. No filler either. Think I'll sell all my "tone generating" pedals to help buy a few more. :mrgreen:

O'Conner:

"The 2001 Nickleback album was recorded using Stephenson Amplifier products, even though Nickleback is a Mesa endorsee and you see Mesa's on their stage. Eddy Van Halen signed a big deal with Peavey resulting in the EVH 5150 heads and combo, which susequently filled his stage. But behind the stacks was a Soldano head and some Marshalls creating the heart of the tone, with only the power sections of the 5150's being used live. You can never be certain what is being used live, or what was used to make the video soundtrack(LWAN reference). Getting the straight goods may be your first challenge.
You might choose an amp because it is the icon of your musical genre, even though the icon doesn't work for you sonicaly. This makes it an aesthetic icon and a system attribute that is more of a hurdle than a fast path to your sound. That's ok, just recognize it for what it is." (2002)
Much like how the Beatles used Fender but endorsed Vox.

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for posting that. Hmmm. Maybe it's the old journalist in me but I need a source (photo, corroboration) other than that guy. Not saying he's wrong about the Soldano/Marshalls, but I highly doubt he was using the 5150s for power. Why would he?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

clesterrific

Post by clesterrific » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi. I know this is late in the thread but I played bass on the ZenBoy demo with Matt Bruck (guitars), Richie Galdieri (vocals, guitar) and Alan DiSilva (drums). I'm not sure which demo you are referring to because we did a number of them and, like many guitarists, Matt would change his rig around. Early on I remember that he used a 5150 head and an old Marshall plexi (I believe) at the same time into two 4x12 cabs. I think one was wet and the other dry but again I wasn't paying as close attention to his guitar rig as I probably should have.
As far as Matt using one of Ed's Marshalls for a demo, I would not be able to say. I don't remember him using it but that doesn't mean that he didn't. Richie (singer) used a Hiwatt rig during his time in ZenBoy and Matt later experimented with Sound City, Vox and Orange amps as well as his favorite Marshall.
Matt is a great guitar player/song writer in his own write and as much as he respects Eddie my gut tells me that he would have wanted to use his own gear on our demos.
The last thing that I will say is that there are a LOT of people who claim to have been inside Ed's prized Marshall and some of them very well may have been. However, if I had a prized amp and I was letting someone work on my gear for the first time I certainly would make sure that it WASN'T my favorite amp. I think a lot of the people that claim to have worked on Ed's amp more likely worked on ONE of Ed's amps and not the Holy Grail plexi. Just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth.

tonefiend
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by tonefiend » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 pm

My good friend who was also a very close friend with Shawn Lane told me Shawn had Ed's amp in the studio when he was working with Warner Brothers for the re record of his Powers of Ten Album. In this video you can clearly see a Marshall marked Zen Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV5IczyDYQU

tonefiend
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by tonefiend » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Zen Boy is at the 5 min mark. He's playing his Gjika gold amp in this.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:20 am

That was John Suhr that fiddled with eds marshall in 94, no mods just another chance for ed to thinks one of these top amp guys could make it magical again but instead John modded 2 marshalls for Ed for the tour, One for clean and one for gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QufVFwjMa0
Akme Guitars

clesterrific

Post by clesterrific » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:34 pm

The Marshall in that video with ZenBoy written on it is Matt Bruck's and not Ed's. You may have already figured that out.