EVH TONE RIGHT HERE

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

markanthony

yes

Post by markanthony » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:00 pm

7string wrote:MarkAnthony, It's just the cathode resistor/capacitor on the scond stage of V1,pins 3 or 8. Get the Billy Batz layouts of the 1959 and 2203 and compare the differences. Follow the signal around starting from the input. I think from the input it goes to V1b's grid first on the 2203, then cascade the second stage V1a.
I know thats what I have on my build 330Uf BP 820, but do we remove this completely from the circuit and add 10k only?? Was the question? Thanks I will take a look@ that layout, I know my baby does not like my palmer-03 not at ALL!! Very disgruntled, blew the main smoked a tad I got to tear down and check her out make sure nothing went Im sure it did I seen Poof smoke Erghhh Looks like Im either going to buy load box or make its sure is cheaper to make, I have the PPIMV in her, from output to the speaker sounded awesome tho, but I want to line out and send to my effects, oh well back to the lab I go!! thanks for the reply!!

Got it Now she squeals lol when cranked dont you just love us Noobs!!
Got the two cascaded one wire mod compliments stevo, but when crank she squeals any suggestions? hey tons more gain tho even at both of them set a 5 thats good enough for me, but any higher she will squeal, got to get me a load box asap, I want to her this baby in power tube saturation ;-)- thats where its at!

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:55 am

I don't want to hi-jack this thread BUT,...

RACKSYSTEMS made a great point about OTHER tone factors, as well, on the VH1 album.

Cary had PM'd me about the UREI 1176 units and asked if I had ever used them.

Here is some interesting info. I should've posted earlier I was told from an local engineer friend of mine.

Cary,

I record at a studio that has several 1176 units BUT, not the ones Ed uses or bought to take with him to 5150. 1176 with knobs not push buttons.

The older UREI's 1176 - had push buttons on the left of meters and on the right of them.

Donn Landee used a popular engineering secret of pushing 2 of those buttons in at the same time and it makes the unit OVERDRIVE the signal.

20;1 and the 4;1 buttons

but, from what I gather reading your posts - you know computer recording.

Bomb Factory 76 is a plug-in for this old unit (UREI 1176).

It also is supposed to feature the "slam mode" of several buttons being pushed in at the same time( One of Landee's engineering secrets).

See what you can find out about that.

It might shed light on a missing tone element.

I also know ROCKSTAH uses Pro-tools , it would be interesting to HEAR that clip with that plug-in

using the "slam mode" feature.

I already think the clip is a 10 out of 10.

might just make it an 11.
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Brian Wallace » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:20 am

Hey Mark,

Great clip as always. :)

The Dream Tone layout has an error in it. The 1/2 amp fuse is feeding the OT center tap when it should be feeding both the OT's center tap and the choke.
Last edited by Brian Wallace on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

markanthony

correct

Post by markanthony » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:20 am

T.J.Fuller wrote:I don't want to hi-jack this thread BUT,...

RACKSYSTEMS made a great point about OTHER tone factors, as well, on the VH1 album.

Cary had PM'd me about the UREI 1176 units and asked if I had ever used them.

Here is some interesting info. I should've posted earlier I was told from an local engineer friend of mine.

Cary,

I record at a studio that has several 1176 units BUT, not the ones Ed uses or bought to take with him to 5150. 1176 with knobs not push buttons.

The older UREI's 1176 - had push buttons on the left of meters and on the right of them.

Donn Landee used a popular engineering secret of pushing 2 of those buttons in at the same time and it makes the unit OVERDRIVE the signal.

20;1 and the 4;1 buttons

but, from what I gather reading your posts - you know computer recording.

Bomb Factory 76 is a plug-in for this old unit (UREI 1176).

It also is supposed to feature the "slam mode" of several buttons being pushed in at the same time( One of Landee's engineering secrets).

See what you can find out about that.

It might shed light on a missing tone element.

I also know ROCKSTAH uses Pro-tools , it would be interesting to HEAR that clip with that plug-in

using the "slam mode" feature.

I already think the clip is a 10 out of 10.

might just make it an 11.

TJ Im with you his clips sound great but with this they would be flipping spot on hair raising, I hope mark can repost using this effect as Im sure it would be the icing on the cake!! And thanks for posting this info on the plug in you know where Im going lol to find her, what if and Im speculating if they never used that on eds tone?? What would the outcome of been? I read many of times Eddie saying Eruption aint all that(humble oh yes) its in the recording admitting its in the studio effects the 1176 really gave Ed that ball busting tonage grab you by the hair and say listen NOW!!!
Beautiful topic tho I appreciate it thanks man!
MA

freebies>>
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?&ke ... 1&langid=1

JWR

Post by JWR » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Oohh, noice!

My compliments you have nailed it

markanthony

Re: EVH TONE RIGHT HERE

Post by markanthony » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:51 pm

rockstah wrote:have u guys heard this? the best fucking evh spec i have heard is inside my alum chassis right now! i had to say it! i had to say it! :P

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5369443
Thanks Mark last post on this thread for me, But I had to thank you!! again!! lol I went and tore my 68 down with the guidence from the Gods of amp gurus Steve!! And I went with full on 2203 specs, with dual master good lord man, Master one I have 8 pre 8 MasterII 4 running to some effects of course to my ears good gawd allmighty lol thats it!! I will get sound card anyone got one for sell?? I got to get these clips up asap!! Not my playing by any means I stink lol truly but the tone is to die for, 2203 with dual masters is the way to fly, I cut that 330/820 out and out 10ker in I still have some minor tweaks Im going to do but this puppy is well on her way.

To think three months ago or longer i cant recall old age<< I didnt know crapola, now I can well Built my own 68(with help Steve SDM thanks man) then moded to 2203 with dual masters, and to think this site is free,= Priceless, I paid huge bucks for a college piece of paper and still lcant spell and I speak in sentence fragments LOL.
Thanks to all on this forum for all thee input help and guidance!!

I know there are lots a of folks out there that can rip it and well argue/debate )better word lol) over you can get eds sound with other amps peavey laney the 5150 ect ect Im sold Marshall all the way, my 6505+ or 5150II great amp love it her to death the 2203 build Spot on to my ears!! I guess I could be wrong but Im happy! ;-)

Peace
MarkAnthony

johnnymenudo

Post by johnnymenudo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:35 pm

markanthony wrote:
rockstah wrote:have u guys heard this? the best fucking evh spec i have heard is inside my alum chassis right now! i had to say it! i had to say it! :P

Thanks Mark last post on this thread for me, But I had to thank you!! again!! lol I went and tore my 68 down with the guidence from the Gods of amp gurus Steve!! And I went with full on 2203 specs, with dual master good lord man, Master one I have 8 pre 8 MasterII 4 running to some effects of course to my ears good gawd allmighty lol thats it!! I will get sound card anyone got one for sell?? I got to get these clips up asap!! Not my playing by any means I stink lol truly but the tone is to die for, 2203 with dual masters is the way to fly, I cut that 330/820 out and out 10ker in I still have some minor tweaks Im going to do but this puppy is well on her way.

To think three months ago or longer i cant recall old age<< I didnt know crapola, now I can well Built my own 68(with help Steve SDM thanks man) then moded to 2203 with dual masters, and to think this site is free,= Priceless, I paid huge bucks for a college piece of paper and still lcant spell and I speak in sentence fragments LOL.

I know there are lots a of folks out there that can rip it and well argue/debate )better word lol) over you can get eds sound with other amps peavey laney the 5150 ect ect Im sold Marshall all the way, my 6505+ or 5150II great amp love it her to death the 2203 build Spot on to my ears!! I guess I could be wrong but Im happy! ;-)

Peace
MarkAnthony
Mark,

DId you start with the standard kit and make the changes from there, or did you buy the barebones 68' 12000 series parts?

JM

OdgeUK

Post by OdgeUK » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:43 pm

I think I still just about prefer Mark's sound on the Mean Streets clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=3636477

But, the closeness of this latest one, to the VH1 sound is pretty staggering.
73 JMP 1987 w/LarMar
78 JMP 1987
79 2104
Peavey JSX 120
Marshall 1936 G12-65
Gibson LP Custom, Squier CV 50's Strat w/SD '59

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:08 pm

johnnymenudo wrote:
markanthony wrote:

Peace
MarkAnthony
Mark,

DId you start with the standard kit and make the changes from there, or did you buy the barebones 68' 12000 series parts?

JM

Hey you talkin to me?? Lol Kiddin, Umm actually I went Bass Ackwards lol ask George Im sure he can tell ya I went to ebay got chasss wrong huge mistake, then found kick ass OPT 96 dagnell takin out of 59 reissue the rest from Metro/george. I wanted the whole kit but the dern money wasn't a option at that time, I built 68 super lead, hope this helps? And Hope you were talking to me we are both marks, I guess Guys call Me Tony ok??thanks MarkAnthony hey Tony lol yo tonester the tonage LOL

But yes this amp I cant stop playing LOL, Now to maybe?? tweak I have plenty of sustain I noticed maybe a tad to thin tinny?? I will look at Marks stuff he usually has some kick butt mod on a 2203,

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:09 am

rockstah wrote:2203 spec with low filtering, (40u mains, 16u screens, 16u PI, dual 32u preamp.) a PPIMV. gain and preamp dimed.... simple as that. ;)

so if you take a stock 12 series and cascade the first two stages u end up with a 2203. adding a 10k on the second stage instead of the 330u/820 that was there when it was a two channel amp.
now there is gain thats always missing from a 1959 circuit...
Two questions:
1) I get replacing the 330uF/820 ohm with a 10K on V1. Did you keep the 330uF on your V2?
2) Stock 12xxx filtering has (2) 32 uF caps in series to make a total of 16uF, so that remains unchanged. The mains is (2) 100uF caps in series to make 50uF. Your spec lowers the mains to 40uF... this could be done by replacing the (2) 100 uF with (2) 20uF and wire tham in parallel to make 40uF. Is this correct?

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 pm

Or, I found 80uF Sprague Atoms at mouser.
http://www.mouser.com/search/productdet ... 75-TVA1716

These could be wired as it currently stands in series to make the 40uF for the mains?

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:27 am

FN Killer Dude!

A new name I give you: Edward Van Abraham 8)
My first project: 1959HW to 12xxx Courtesy of the Late Great Rockstah a.k.a. Edward Van Abrahamian

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:02 pm

with my PPIMV installed i cascaded the first two stages... ala 2203. ;)
10k on the second stage with .68u on v2a.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:03 pm

vkaxeman wrote:

FN Killer Dude!

A new name I give you: Edward Van Abraham 8)
:lol: :wink:

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:06 pm

T.J.Fuller wrote:I'm going to guess and say the GE-10 finally arrived.

something is different.

There is a big jump in balls from the last clip you posted.

but that absolutely sounds awesome!!! :D
didnt u say the clips i heard of yours was using a 2203? :)