help clarifying vintage MXR 6 band EQs

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rgalpin

Re: help clarifying vintage MXR 6 band EQs

Post by rgalpin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:What gitfiddle was you 'a strummin' on that ?
that's my homebrew strat style body:
23 3/4" conversion neck
dimarzio SD
floyd
heavy dense body (northern ash i think) - chopped the body down to a slightly smaller size - took off about 1/2" off the majority of the perimeter (not the horns). did it with a jig saw, a lot of sand paper! add some TLC. unfinished, rubbed with oil, spit, and sweat. :thumbsup: :palm: :shred:
067.jpg
there she is!
067.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
that's actually a BareKnuckle pu in the shot - that was my last show with Funny Money - I think I changed it to the dimarzio SD before the recording though - the SD i have is blonde - but i'm not sure which is on the recording i guess - could be either... or neither! because i ruined my BK at some point trying to change the magnet.

imagine how much crap EVH tried!! he probably has no idea what he used on anything! LOL! at that point you don't have to lie - you just make up an answer. not because you are trying to fool people but because it makes a better story than, "i don't know." :stars:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Thats always been a sweet sounding axe :rock: You used that one one on all of those clips you posted back in '06-'07. You, Ralle and Rockstah were posting epic clips, with each one of you hitting on specific tonal details of Ed's tone. Your axe has a floyd and its one of the few I've heard that can sound like it DOESNT have a floyd.Very natural sounding guitar.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:05 pm

Haah! :lol: I love it. It looks cool really cool. The green and red crayon looking stuff at the 1st and 2nd frets is cool funny stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:27 pm

:D color code that matches Guitar Hero game. :rock:

tsma
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by tsma » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm

You KNOW you want THIS H3000:

http://www.technoempire.com/eventide-h3 ... -van-halen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-bryan

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Only if Modded by Jose. :?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 am

ha! nice!! for the record, the H3000 i used in that clip came from Beau Hill's collection of vintage stuff that was in use around the time he was producing RATT - OUT OF THE CELLAR. so it may have some Warren DiMartini mojo in there. :) i was very careful about messing with any settings on it - just in case... :) :thumbsup:

efraser68

Post by efraser68 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Hey Rob's here! thanks for the awesome clip :champ:
Remember Ben Wise (aka Stunt Double) & Mark Abrahamian
http://www.soundclick.com/EricFraser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stef

Post by stef » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm

:thumbsup: :listen:

jnew

Post by jnew » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Finally got to a place where I could here that clip. When are you going to teach me how to solo Rob? Still waiting on that lesson in scales and technique. :lol:

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30 am

jape88 wrote:
wjamflan wrote:Jape, do you happen to know when the MXR 6-band was first produced? Was it early 1976?
From the codes I've found to date 20th week in 76 is the oldest I've seen... so it would great if forumites could take a look and see if we could get that date lower :D

137 is the manufacturer (CTS) 76 is the year 20 is the week in the year

so i wanted to document my 6 band because it looked like you all were having so much fun doing it. the codes on mine indicate the 16th week of 78. but as you will see when i looked at the photos i had taken... i made an amazing discovery. yes, i believe that i am the first person to ever capture an image of mojo. i mean, we all KNOW what it sounds like... but now? now we know what it looks like.
ext.jpg
gratuitous exterior shot
ext.jpg (36.81 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
comp.jpg
the reveal
comp.jpg (36.97 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
number.jpg
money shot
number.jpg (46.89 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:13 am

there's something very cool and fun about finding out the origins of a piece of equipment by reading the coded serial numbers. like lifting a veil on the past a bit. you never know what you might find...

it has spawned a new quest for me - to document The Anatomy of Mojo!
mojo_cu.jpg
mojo example: 1371403
mojo_cu.jpg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 2056 times

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 am

Your eyes deceive you Rob. That's an 18, not 16. :P

You should collect that mojo and sell it on eBay.

Just looked at mine. 1377952. Just made the final week of the vintage 70's. :clap:
12000 Metro Kit

ttowne

Post by ttowne » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am

rgalpin wrote:
Tone Slinger wrote:What gitfiddle was you 'a strummin' on that ?
that's my homebrew strat style body:
23 3/4" conversion neck
dimarzio SD
floyd
heavy dense body (northern ash i think) - chopped the body down to a slightly smaller size - took off about 1/2" off the majority of the perimeter (not the horns). did it with a jig saw, a lot of sand paper! add some TLC. unfinished, rubbed with oil, spit, and sweat. :thumbsup: :palm: :shred:
067.jpg
that's actually a BareKnuckle pu in the shot - that was my last show with Funny Money - I think I changed it to the dimarzio SD before the recording though - the SD i have is blonde - but i'm not sure which is on the recording i guess - could be either... or neither! because i ruined my BK at some point trying to change the magnet.

imagine how much crap EVH tried!! he probably has no idea what he used on anything! LOL! at that point you don't have to lie - you just make up an answer. not because you are trying to fool people but because it makes a better story than, "i don't know." :stars:
Nice Rgalpin

Kind of like a mix between Fair Warning and 1984 in song structure etc. Cool!

jape88

Post by jape88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm

rgalpin wrote:there's something very cool and fun about finding out the origins of a piece of equipment by reading the coded serial numbers. like lifting a veil on the past a bit. you never know what you might find...

it has spawned a new quest for me - to document The Anatomy of Mojo!
mojo_cu.jpg
Rob, I'm guessing by that old avatar pic you have, that there's elements in those sliders :wink:

The first year or so of the 6 bands release had the logo with square pointed corners FWIW.

I think CTS actually date stamped the individual sliders so dates could vary on those but I've never taken one apart to see. At one stage I got up to 6 blue boxes, it was getting a bit of obsession but they all had slight differences in tone, one was quite a difference in tone very dark sounding.
At low volumes I love the 6 over the ge10 but I've just snagged a Urei 527 rack graphic, ala the two feature in the '84 pics of Ed's studio, got a hunch Donn and Ed used these things in the recording process :what: