VARIAC to club level (70 Volts)

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

mr.twistyneck
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: VARIAC to club level (70 Volts)

Post by mr.twistyneck » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm

I just set voltage to 60v. No bias adjustment.

I guess I'll find out if this is a bad idea. :)

ttowne

Post by ttowne » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:07 pm

SHIT. Variac arrives and its junk. Pops ground fault and smells like smoke inside. WAFJ. Stay away from the Made In China red ones. In knew better too and went for the low price, wont happen again.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Man that sucks :x
I would kick them in the balls for ya if I could.

I got a $69 Made in China-5amp light blue one. Workin like a champ. Check your fuse and make sure you got at least a 5amp one. Some are like 3amp. I treaded through all that to makw sure I didn't get one too low amp handling.

Ditto on the goin into the unknown zone. It sounds so good down there I can't quit anyway-kinda like sonic meth. :mrgreen:

ttowne

Post by ttowne » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm

DC

The one that failed was the Red 20amp version that has two outlets. Loud hum on plugin even with the switch set to off then Crackle/pop, very light poof of smoke, ground fault on the Outlet Pops. Gotta love the passed QC inspection tag on top, yeah right!!!

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:29 pm

Well... that still sucks. Even though you don't need that big of variac though.
Chinese QC... ahh you run long time cowboy. Very good. Top of line.
Its very questionable-if you watch the upgrade vid to a digital voltmeter on youtune they did habe things wired fucked up. Check that out-kinda nerve wracking to say the least. I think they had the ground wired wrong on that too they discovered. Eeek! :|

ttowne

Post by ttowne » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:42 am

Well, I did what any good Metroamp member would do. I took the damn Variac apart, figured out what was wrong with it and fixed it up. Its basically just a big coil of wire with a spindle and a few wires, what could be so wrong? So its re wired with the hot from wall on the correct side for polarity as well as adjusting the dial contact further down on the spindle so it doesn't loose contact with the coil. Hopefully I'll get time to play around with it tonight or over the weekend and report results back. I still have to chuckle at the "passed QC inspection", those stickers are much faster to put on if you don't actually plug the fucking thing in LOL. Anyways, its working now.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Cool. So it wasn't a complete loss. I think you will like your variac ALOT :thumbsup: