Re: blue box mxr 6 band eq vs. newer mxr 6 band

Post by Strat78 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:08 pm

I was at that show, it sounded horrible. :lol:

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 pm

vh junkie wrote:
Strat78 wrote:Perhaps George will do another run of chassis...
Looks like George is starting another run:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 6&start=81
:shock:

Rich_D
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rich_D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Strat78 wrote:What was this thread about?
About whether a new MXR 6 band eq will get the right tone when an eq is in the recipe for a VH tone and I'm still interested. Maybe I'm talking about a broader eq thread. I have the DOD eq in front of my 7w Plexi SE with a 6CA7. I have a JBJ in a strat. When I'm in cascade mode, the eq pushes the gain and distortion into metal territory, like Good Guest suggested. But when I'm in jumpered mode, the eq gives it an aggressive growl and gain that takes it past a classic Marshall tone into more of a Fair Warning sound but still too hot. I'm thinking if I tone the pickup down a little like vanhalen5150 suggests, it might slot right into the brown zone. I just got the GFS VEH to try.

Nitro, vhoholic does use the DOD eq with the stock 5150 combo through a 4x12 with green backs, but while the tone is very good and close, I think there are hairs to split especially at this forum which in relation to the OP could be traced to the DOD eq instead of a period-accurate MXR or GE-10.

EDIT:
Good Guest wrote:So to the question new or old ..get a new one and tweak away..and don't use it with mighty super ultra distortion tone mangling pickups. :thumbsup:
Missed that comment, answers my question.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

I was being facetious. :| 7w plexi? You can't cheat with this stuff. You might as well just use a PODxt. Fuck the eq, sign up for one of Georges 68 chassis and go from there. We will help you make it happen. The original Mighty Mite and Super Distortions are not tone mangling pickups at all. RR was the one who combined them with an eq and we can here how aweful that sounded on the records, unless you like that synthetic sheen.

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Strat78 wrote:7w plexi? You can't cheat with this stuff. You might as well just use a PODxt.
hehe, Naturally, 93w will make a difference. That's just what the PCB is called. :mrgreen:

nitro

Post by nitro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Rich-D,the gain-distortion that the 5150 combo produces(high gain) is the type that you would here from early Van halen,if you know what im saying,Example, a cranked plexi with a eq in front is still not enough to produce the gain-distortion thats on van halen 1, but the gain-distortion that the 5150 or for that matter the RIGHT high gain amp can.The first time you heard Van halen 1 it sounded like it was beyond high gain,no marshall for that matter can produce that type of gain-distortion.I tell many guitarist to try many amps not just marshall and to not to fall into the 12 series thing and the vintage marshall thing also.You have to ask yourself why would Ed design his amps(Peavey 5150,EVH 5150)with so much gain,answer,because Ed loves gain-distortion or why wouldnt Ed just have designed a amp like a plexi,im sure some of you can answer that question,Just listen to the running with the devil Iso track.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 pm

The DOD eq is a differant animal than the mxr 6 band...the DOD uses transistor gyrators instead of ic's..the other interesting thing that is very important ..so important that some amp modders make it their secret boost frequency...is the @ 3.2 khz slider...on the DOD it actually boosts that frequency..in the mxr 6band it boosts that frequency plus all the others like a overall db boost..very very important! :thumbsup:

Vhoholic did use the dod for unchained and he actually posted his settings on the PP board when he did it..It was pretty damn good....I'm sure the post still exists but the pic of his settings are probably long gone...it wasn't anything to drastic if I remember..a few db's here in there. :wink:

I'm with you nitro on the RWTD clip..that tone is so fuzzy I have to go into bass mode just to get some of the crunchy hair in the tone and that's still not fuzzy enough...it's almost like what they term velcrofuzz...that sticky harmonically rich edgy tone you get from some ancient fuzztones but in Eddies case the highs remain intact...cool unit no doubt. :rock:
Last edited by Good Guest on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Good Guest wrote:Looky looky he's using the ge 10 in this pic.....looks like someone beat leadguy to drawing all over the pic :lol: but yeah I'd have to ay I don't see any 6 band ,,,,and yep another mess of cords to decypher.. :palm:
The attachment EdGe10.jpg is no longer available
The photo the Good Guest has is Ed playing the Shark with th GE 10 obviously engaged.

This photo (sorry it is a PPT file, I can't figure out how to draw an arrow on a picture and it is making me nuts) is using the B & W franky and the arrows point to the MXR 6 band that, because of the vantage point, one can't tell how it is plugged in.
Attachments
pedal board MXR.ppt
(101.23 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Good Guest wrote:I'm sure the post still exists but the pic of his settings are probably long gone...
Big thanks Guest. I have Vhoholic's settings pic saved on my desktop. :rock:

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm

rgorke wrote:
Good Guest wrote:Looky looky he's using the ge 10 in this pic.....looks like someone beat leadguy to drawing all over the pic :lol: but yeah I'd have to ay I don't see any 6 band ,,,,and yep another mess of cords to decypher.. :palm:
EdGe10.jpg
The photo the Good Guest has is Ed playing the Shark with th GE 10 obviously engaged.

This photo (sorry it is a PPT file, I can't figure out how to draw an arrow on a picture and it is making me nuts) is using the B & W franky and the arrows point to the MXR 6 band that, because of the vantage point, one can't tell how it is plugged in.
open paint, click edit, then click paste from and navigate to the photo, and draw to your hearts content

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:23 pm

VH1 DOESNT have a MASSIVE amount of gain. It has a DECENT amount of gain along with a great player.

Leadguy's post earlier about a young ED 'IN THE Zone' a bit drunk and possibly high, makes the most sense.

Some people are intuitive and others ARE NOT. To think of Ed's early tone in a HIGH GAIN sense is unintuitive/just plain WRONG.

That type tone and response is totally LOST in hi gain circuits. C'mon, There is no 'ALTERNATIVE THEORY'.

It's 98 % in the bag.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

nitro

Post by nitro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Toneslinger then what original marshall plexi,or modded marshall have you heared that had the type of gain-distortion that Eds tone had,Eds van halen 1 sound has more gain the norm,when you listen to van halen 1 it does have what I call high gain,higher then a normal plexi or even a modded plexi.Eds van halen 1 sound is over the top crunch,you can hear it.Alot of the clips that I hear,the majority are marshall dont have that over the top crunch.VHoloics clips have that type of crunch because he is using a high gain amp(5150 combo designed by Ed).I have played many high gain amps including 5150s and to me out of all the high gain amps that are out there VHT/Fryette amps are the best,they have clarity with no mud,the distortion is clear and aggressive very punching and in your face, you here every note,thats because of the circuit and quality, to me its what a good marshall should sound like.There are high gain amps that are out there that dont come close to the gain-distortion thats on van halen 1 and they are considered high gain,like I said earler its the RIGHT high gain amp that can achieve the gain-distortion that Ed achieved on van nhalen 1.Toneslinger you said that VH1 doesnt have massive amont of gain, it has alot of over the top gain with clarity.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:29 pm

yeah but how does the current production MXR 6 band sound compared to the blue ones?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 pm

can we start a new thread? i feel pretty bad for the OP

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:18 pm

spaceace76 wrote:can we start a new thread? i feel pretty bad for the OP
I think his question got answered so we may as well hijack this plane into the ocean.

As everyone here knows by now, I don't have the experience with full throttle 100w amps that many others here have (yet) so I have to ask those who have. My question has always been along the lines of what nitro is saying. If it's a dimed Marshall, even one with an accidental golden circuit, then how come no one at that time was on the same planet as VH? Plenty of people had rolled their fingers under their Marshall's controls from right to left and didn't get anything like the chunk and crunch of the open E palm mutes in On Fire or Feel Your Love, much less the howl of Mean Streets intro or the open D chunk of Unchained. I know we have heard Ralle and Rockstah achieve it without a pedal and we've also heard boots like Largo which does not have the crunch happening. If you agree with the no EQ, no pedal boost theory, are of the mind that it was a tinker job a la Ralle's work?