Line out box for slaving?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

harddriver

Line out box for slaving?

Post by harddriver » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Hey guys I built a Load Box for slaving 100 watt arcol resistor with the line tapped with a 47K resistor which feeds a 5K pot to the line out jack, works great.

I want to make just a line out box which would plug into my other speaker jack to feed the 47K and 5K pot to a line out jack. The amp would be seeing it's main load of a 16 ohm 4x12 from the other jack.

Should this work I don't see why not, what do you think?

I think this is how the Marshall early line outs were accoding to Mark Cameron except they were hard wired onthe back of the chassis.

I like my typeII PPIMV and I don't feel like building a 400 watt load box for my 12 series or drilling a hole in my chassis for the line out jack.

miguel

Re: Line out box for slaving?

Post by miguel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:32 pm

harddriver wrote:I want to make just a line out box which would plug into my other speaker jack to feed the 47K and 5K pot to a line out jack. The amp would be seeing it's main load of a 16 ohm 4x12 from the other jack.
I don't see a problem with it - you're tapping the same signal.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the Cyber Sea"

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:36 pm

harddriver wrote:Hey guys I built a Load Box for slaving 100 watt arcol resistor with the line tapped with a 47K resistor which feeds a 5K pot to the line out jack, works great.

I want to make just a line out box which would plug into my other speaker jack to feed the 47K and 5K pot to a line out jack. The amp would be seeing it's main load of a 16 ohm 4x12 from the other jack.

Should this work I don't see why not, what do you think?

I think this is how the Marshall early line outs were accoding to Mark Cameron except they were hard wired onthe back of the chassis.

I like my typeII PPIMV and I don't feel like building a 400 watt load box for my 12 series or drilling a hole in my chassis for the line out jack.
would work just fine - i had the same idea and built one of these as well. ;)

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Is a 100 watt resistor enough? If it blows your OT might not be far behind. I would have doubled up for the few bucks it would take to have a safety margin and you can't have too much wattage.

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:39 pm

I do not using the 100 watt load box on my big plexis, I use the type II master volume for those. The load box is used on my 5 watt plexi amp and if I want on my 50 watt 72SL at the most.

That why I am putting together a line out box just for my 12 series so I can reamp while still using a 4x12 cabinet for the load without using a load box.

For a firebreathing 100 watter I would use no less than 200 watts or more. Stans is 400watts. If i made one it would be 4- 100watt resistors 20 ohms each wired series /parrallel like a speaker cabinet so if you lose one the ohm load goes up still provide a safe impedance load for the OT.

I have 4 50watt resistors right now to make a 200watt one, eventually.

miguel

Post by miguel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:44 pm

FWIW - I wired eight 50 watt resistors series/parallel to get a 16 ohm, 400 watt loadbox. You usually have to derate them, depending on the heatsink.

400 watt capacity, and it still gets pretty warm with a dimed 100-watter.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:39 pm

i use a single 16ohm 300w resistor.

Mark

miguel

Post by miguel » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm

miguel wrote:
harddriver wrote:I want to make just a line out box which would plug into my other speaker jack to feed the 47K and 5K pot to a line out jack. The amp would be seeing it's main load of a 16 ohm 4x12 from the other jack.
I don't see a problem with it - you're tapping the same signal.
Interesting... today I was messing around with my load box set up (resistor bank with line out tap). It was working pretty well, but it seemed like something was messing with the tone a bit, and adding some grind.

I took the HUSH and f/x processor out of the circuit, going straight from the load box to the re-amplifier. The signal was really low, even with the 5K pot all the way up, and it was distorted (not amp distortion).

So, I left the amp plugged into the load box, but took a line from my amp's slave out (47K resistor tapped off the speaker jacks, no pot) into the re-amp... nice and clean, and a much hotter signal. I put the processing back in the signal chain - still good!

Still scratching my head about this one. :?

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Miguel,
I've been thinking on your dilema as well. I wonder if your load box 47K tap is somewhat distorted because your signal is actually being tapped twice once from your slave out connected directly to your speaker out jacks at your amp then again at the input of of you load box getting directed through the 47K resistor yet again to the 5 K pot then out.

I would say best the use the signal tapped closest to the Output transfomer in your setup and that would be the amp line/slave out jack.

Just use your load box for a load only then if using the amp installed line out sounds better. Just some random thoughts.

miguel

Post by miguel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Hmmm... dunno. I only use one or the other, not both. I wouldn't think a tapped output would have any affect with nothing plugged in, but I've been known to be wrong before. :? :lol:

I might try disconnecting the 5k pot, since it's always on full anyway. For now I'll just keep using the slave out, a longer cable to the rack is the only difference.

markanthony

I want to build uno

Post by markanthony » Fri May 18, 2007 9:08 am

rockstah wrote:i use a single 16ohm 300w resistor.

Mark
Hey Mark you have lil schematic to this monster mind sharing I want to build same

Thxs
MA

rockstah

Re: I want to build uno

Post by rockstah » Fri May 18, 2007 10:29 am

markanthony wrote:

Mark
Hey Mark you have lil schematic to this monster mind sharing I want to build same

Thxs
MA
schematic? its a resistor with a speaker cable wired to it.

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Fri May 18, 2007 3:07 pm

rockstah wrote:
markanthony wrote:

Mark

Thxs
MA

Opps ok from the pic it looks like a freekin Nitro kit for a car LOL
thxs man!! Im looking to build a box line in out ect with pot, I think I found one thanks

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri May 18, 2007 5:55 pm

markanthony wrote:
rockstah wrote:
markanthony wrote: Hey Mark you have lil schematic to this monster mind sharing I want to build same

Thxs
MA

Opps ok from the pic it looks like a freekin Nitro kit for a car LOL
thxs man!! Im looking to build a box line in out ect with pot, I think I found one thanks
yeah its just a big resistor screwed to a piece of wood. ;)

line out box:
a box
5k pot
47k resistor
two jacks
some 20 guage wire

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri May 18, 2007 8:16 pm

inside your amp: Image

in a dedicated box: Image

Mark