Line out box for slaving?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

ericopp

Post by ericopp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Guitar007,

I have the pics( 2 X 300 watt Ohmite hanging behind the amps), I just haven't had the time to locate them.

I will find them ...and post them.....promise
Hey TJ, did you find/post these pics?
"If I can't play my guitar through a Marshall I would rather not play my guitar at all." - Justin Hawkins - The Darkness

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:35 am

ericopp wrote:
Guitar007,

I have the pics( 2 X 300 watt Ohmite hanging behind the amps), I just haven't had the time to locate them.

I haven't found anything either...after MUCH searching...I still have not found anything! TJ...any luck?
~guitar007

ericopp

Post by ericopp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I'm starting to wonder about a correlation betweem the resistor load box and the so-called "****** mod" that has the resistor(s) wired across the #3s of the power tubes.
All this talk about "big Ohmite" resistors hanging out the back of the amp leads to a lot of ideas...
"If I can't play my guitar through a Marshall I would rather not play my guitar at all." - Justin Hawkins - The Darkness

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 pm

The troubling thing about it for me is...I have yet to see photo evidence of the resistors. 'Frustrating because others claim to have seen the photos
~guitar007

IloveMyMarshall
Just the numbers in order: 7

CJ

Post by IloveMyMarshall » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 pm

ericopp wrote:I'm starting to wonder about a correlation betweem the resistor load box and the so-called "****** mod" that has the resistor(s) wired across the #3s of the power tubes.
All this talk about "big Ohmite" resistors hanging out the back of the amp leads to a lot of ideas...
I think its called CJ Conjunctive Filtering I did it to my jtm45/50 1k 5watt in series with OJD .0015 cap pins3 V4 V5. I was warned its not good and all but my amp has been fine,
Attachments
conjfilterLayout.gif
CJ
conjfilterLayout.gif (9.98 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Metro 2204
Metro JTM 45/50
Next Super lead??
http://www.soundclick.com/ilovemymarshall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:25 pm

So does it instantly give you VH1 tone?
~guitar007

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 am

ericopp wrote:
Guitar007,

You will never find the pic of this in Ed's amp.......this was someone just trying that mod. Ed never did this.

Jose load box......
Attachments
Image008.jpg
(44.07 KiB) Downloaded 3083 times
Image007.jpg
(45.65 KiB) Downloaded 3081 times
Image006.jpg
(38.37 KiB) Downloaded 3082 times
Image004.jpg
(43.03 KiB) Downloaded 3085 times

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 am

I can't find it online again and when I found it I was doing a yahoo international search for Vh club days , vh black sabbath 1978 tour,
VH rare and Vh starwood live, etc. just trying to find some rare tell-tale shots of Ed's early rig and shots of the band.

yahoo.ja yahoo.uk etc. was what I used and others

those early club shots of ed with the fender strat w/ humbucker were on the site ( someone has already posted those ) I found with other shots of the band at record signings , real early shots.

it isn't pics (plural) it was one B&W pic that is an angled side stage shot of the back of an ampline ( it looks like the VH early club amp set up )HOWEVER you cannot see the band or a close enough shot of how it is being used (speaker load or cerem mode ..whatever)( a big 12' resistor drapped down hanging behind a cabinet w/ a single head on top..the resistor has an off-center tap on it.)

I hope when I first mentioned this , no one really thought I claimed to have an internal shot , that is not the case at all !! this was a backline pic.

I actually bought one of these resistors (from Newark Electronics in New Jersey and messed with some options on my own 50 watt Marshall)

I'm not creative enough to do some thing like this on my own.

However, I'm very dissappointed as well , I didn't save the link.

my assumption from the pic was this was a load similar to what I feel ( THIS is JUST MY OPINION) that this was used before a second variac started appearing. MY personal belief is he used a second variac as a speaker load similar to a power soak.

that has still never been discounted. I do not believe it to be a cerem mod. it would be un-safe and would not make sense how I remember the pic.

sorry for the rant , I felt full explaination was needed.

I will continue to search it again.... it sucks because I sent it to a musician friend abuot a year or 2 ago ( the link ) he is a huge VH fan too and he can't locate it either( he never saved the link)
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:04 am

T.J.Fuller wrote:I can't find it online again and when I found it I was doing a yahoo international search for Vh club days , vh black sabbath 1978 tour,
VH rare and Vh starwood live, etc. just trying to find some rare tell-tale shots of Ed's early rig and shots of the band.

yahoo.ja yahoo.uk etc. was what I used and others

those early club shots of ed with the fender strat w/ humbucker were on the site ( someone has already posted those ) I found with other shots of the band at record signings , real early shots.

it isn't pics (plural) it was one B&W pic that is an angled side stage shot of the back of an ampline ( it looks like the VH early club amp set up )HOWEVER you cannot see the band or a close enough shot of how it is being used (speaker load or cerem mode ..whatever)( a big 12' resistor drapped down hanging behind a cabinet w/ a single head on top..the resistor has an off-center tap on it.)

I hope when I first mentioned this , no one really thought I claimed to have an internal shot , that is not the case at all !! this was a backline pic.

I actually bought one of these resistors (from Newark Electronics in New Jersey and messed with some options on my own 50 watt Marshall)

I'm not creative enough to do some thing like this on my own.

However, I'm very dissappointed as well , I didn't save the link.

my assumption from the pic was this was a load similar to what I feel ( THIS is JUST MY OPINION) that this was used before a second variac started appearing. MY personal belief is he used a second variac as a speaker load similar to a power soak.

that has still never been discounted. I do not believe it to be a cerem mod. it would be un-safe and would not make sense how I remember the pic.

sorry for the rant , I felt full explaination was needed.

I will continue to search it again.... it sucks because I sent it to a musician friend abuot a year or 2 ago ( the link ) he is a huge VH fan too and he can't locate it either( he never saved the link)
I hope you do find it. I just remember this pic from a few years ago....and the amp was not Ed's

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:23 am

And you know what Mark, me too, it makes me feel awful that I can't just pull it up.

I didn't take the pic as serious as everyone else...I just thought cool, nother new twist to the rig.

IF this isn't Ed's amp set-up, please note it WAS on a VH based fansite.

please don't flame me , many of you would've thought the same had any of you stumbled onto it.
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ericopp

Post by ericopp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:02 pm

No worries, fellas.
I guess I'm just hoping to see real pics of ANY of the Jose/******/load/resistor/inductor/flux capacitor mods in Ed's amp.

It just bothers me that there's this population (sometimes including Ed himself) that SWEAR that the amp had ZERO mods, while so many others are theorizing about various other means of getting that VH1/club sound.

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm

T.J....I never doubted you. I've been looking for that pic ever since we first spoke about it. No luck yet. :cry: I'll keep looking, though.
~guitar007

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 pm

I seen the pic ..years ago (10 at least) . It does show the resistor (stick of dynamite) hanging out the back and Eddie wailing away. Makes sense to hang it out the back for heat dissipation. Thought at the time it was the tapped resistor we all read about acting as a load. Now I wouldn't mind seeing the pic again to see if the wires go back to the amp confirming the shorting primary mod or if it goes to a load box. :?

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 pm

ericopp wrote:No worries, fellas.
I guess I'm just hoping to see real pics of ANY of the Jose/******/load/resistor/inductor/flux capacitor mods in Ed's amp.

It just bothers me that there's this population (sometimes including Ed himself) that SWEAR that the amp had ZERO mods, while so many others are theorizing about various other means of getting that VH1/club sound.
There was the wooden panel plexi on ebay years ago that had lots of jose mods done with pics of the power supply mods and line out mod as well as the key'd ignition system for turning it on... 8) That amp appears in so many club and live pics..but no one knows when the mods wre done.

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:48 am

Good Guest wrote:I seen the pic ..years ago (10 at least) . It does show the resistor (stick of dynamite) hanging out the back and Eddie wailing away. Makes sense to hang it out the back for heat dissipation. Thought at the time it was the tapped resistor we all read about acting as a load. Now I wouldn't mind seeing the pic again to see if the wires go back to the amp confirming the shorting primary mod or if it goes to a load box. :?
Now you are describing another pic? One had just the backline... nobody in the pic....now the one you saw has Eds wailing away in the pic?? Stick of Dynamite.......is the old wax and paper cap to the master volume. Eds main Marshall Preamp...........Yes its the amp......
Attachments
EVH amp 014.jpg
(55.49 KiB) Downloaded 3034 times
EVH amp 001.jpg
(76.76 KiB) Downloaded 3033 times
EVH amp 006.jpg
(28.8 KiB) Downloaded 3042 times