EVH TONE RIGHT HERE

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: EVH TONE RIGHT HERE

Post by Star*Guitar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:00 am

I bumped this because this thread needs to be a sticky. The sticky thread with the GH clips can can down because of the new flax/mp3 updates and replaced by this.
Star*Guitar

mike132

Post by mike132 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello all, been a lurker for a long time on this forum....

I've Been working on my 50 watt (modified) plexi clone... Here is a sloppy clip using crappy camcorder mic - doesn't do it justice. My setup is homemade Kramer clone (using duncan EVH custom) into GE-7, Block logo PH90 into amp. home made (variac based) attenuaror into 1/2 marshall 4x12 cab. The delay and reverb are coming from the attenuator into G-Major into 2nd marshall power amp into other 1/2 of same 4x12...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRUzNbY3AY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pls tell me what you think,

Thanks,
Mike

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:43 am

I love how this thread keeps coming back. Once again, this should be a sticky...

Your clip sounds a bit too bright. Probably the camcorder mike. It is also a bit messy. What I mean is that there is noise after the note, it sounds cluttered. I use the G Major also. There are several good presets on it. Even though VH 1 is deep in reverb, try it with less to hear the growl of the amp more. I mess with different settings all the time. Latey I just have been using the slapback setting Program # 81. It doesn't seem to be overkill. Tomorrow I will probably use something different lol. You guitar looks pretty cool.
Star*Guitar

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 am

It's the Beetlejuice guitar.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:46 am

mike132 wrote:Hello all, been a lurker for a long time on this forum....

I've Been working on my 50 watt (modified) plexi clone... Here is a sloppy clip using crappy camcorder mic - doesn't do it justice. My setup is homemade Kramer clone (using duncan EVH custom) into GE-7, Block logo PH90 into amp. home made (variac based) attenuaror into 1/2 marshall 4x12 cab. The delay and reverb are coming from the attenuator into G-Major into 2nd marshall power amp into other 1/2 of same 4x12...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRUzNbY3AY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Mike

Sit still, you keep rolling out of the frame.
:D

I think your definitely in the ball park for VH. Star makes some good observations. It didn't seem tooooo bright to me, but I think my ears are shot. I do understand what he refers to as "messy". The note articulation could be better.

All that being said, regardless of whether any of us have "nailed" the EVH tone, VH1 or otherwise, in my book is not the point. This road to EVH tone has given many, many, many fantastic tones that are fantastic in their own right. Are they exactly what we hear on the albums, no, not necessarily. Are they great guitar tones? Yes. In that we should rejoice!!! :champ:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

mike132

Post by mike132 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks guys,

I attribute a lot of the percieved brightness (and wash) to the room - hardwood floors, no carpet... and the camcorder mic. The actual sound up close is as near as I have ever been in ~30 yrs to VH-1. The power tubes are biased hot and running full out, which along with combined 2204/plexi value mods seems to give that feel when playing.

- Oh, and I'll sit still next time...

Mike

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:47 pm

mike132 wrote:Hello all, been a lurker for a long time on this forum....

Thanks,
Mike
dude. that is killer. freekin' great all the way around. the core tone is awesome and aggressive as crap.
2 things i noticed... the delay effect you are using ends up sounding more like Live Without Annette than VH I. And so it's swimming a little bit like it would in an arena. i would just try a single repeat on a 300ms delay and nothing else and see if that doesn't give a little more TRACTION. it won't be easy to give up that ARENA WASH you've got - if i were you i would turn off all the effects and play for a half hour - then start adding in some 300ms single repeat delay slowly adding it in until it just the right depth n STUFF!!

the second thing is more about the core tone - compare the vowel sound you get when you fret the C on the 3rd fret of the A string during ATBL riff - compare it to the album. i think ed gets a little more "AW" sound. you are getting a little closer to an "AY" sound that's like closer up in the front of your mouth and so it includes some nasal openness to it - i'm being very careful not to say nasally - b/c it's NOT. it's just not quite as "smoldering" with that shadowy "AW" tone. if that makes ANY SENSE!

killer playing and touch - awesome clip man - thanks for posting - i love it.

-rob

mike132

Post by mike132 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the kind words and suggestions. I agree that the wet mix (delay) was too strong from the left side of the cab. Also I think I have a little too much high-mid boost before the amp. As for more vowel sound, I think lowering filtering will help - I'm waiting on some 16/16u caps...

Thanks again for the input.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Sounds killer Mike!
Mark

mike132

Post by mike132 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks Mark!

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 am

Glad to see your still here Mark. I always enjoy reading your post. :hairband:
Star*Guitar

johnnybgoood

Post by johnnybgoood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:08 pm

rockstah wrote:...2203 spec with low filtering, (40u mains, 16u screens, 16u PI, dual 32u preamp.) a PPIMV. gain and preamp dimed.... simple as that...so if you take a stock 12 series and cascade the first two stages u end up with a 2203. adding a 10k on the second stage instead of the 330u/820 that was there when it was a two channel amp.
now there is gain thats always missing from a 1959 circuit...
The last post was in 2010. Has anyone performed these changes indepedantly to their amp since then? Can someone with knowledge chime in and confirm this chassis configuration? http://gallery.photo.net/photo/15885592-lg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

I can't afford a $2000-$3000 amp. If I get the brownsound I need to build an amp on my own from parts.
Last edited by johnnybgoood on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:42 pm

"BUZZER" wrong.....That's basically just a 2203 with a ppimv & different filtering....none of HIS mods(5) are in that pic....I'm not going to screw him and tell. :shrug: But yeah your in the right place to find out... :mrgreen: :palm: :popcorn:

johnnybgoood

Post by johnnybgoood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Sorry my bad. I found the following thread with successful mods performed with the changes mentioned to the preamp and filters. http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Thanks. Awesome!

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/15885592-lg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cworley5150

Post by cworley5150 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Great mod and great thread! RIP Rockstah (Mark). I just recently learned of his passing and this mod. Very sad to hear. It seems he was a great guitar player and talented amp modder/builder.

I am in the middle of converting my 1987x over to this spec and was wondering why there is the 220k resistor bridging the master volume and treble control in the above layout. Isn't there normally just a straight wire here?

Also, what filtering would be used in a 50 watt to get more of the looser/spongy feel? My 1987x is pretty stiff. Anything else that can be done to achieve that feel?

Thanks,
Chris