Van Halen Reverb

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

LypsLynch55

Van Halen Reverb

Post by LypsLynch55 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:33 am

Hey folks,

New to this board, but like many, been trying to dial in that VH sound for awhile now. That panned EMT plate reverb is pretty intregal to the sound.

Basically, Im wondering what kinda of reverb settings you all are using for the CVH sound. I know vhaholic was using Timeworks 4080, and that sounded pretty good. But what settings - mine never sounds right.

Any hints as far as predelay, decay time, room size, dampening or any thoughts period.

Excuse me if this has been posted before; I did do a search and it didnt turn back anything that I could see specific to this request. Thanks.
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:56 am

this is a great point,something i have been wondering to!!
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

45auto

Post by 45auto » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:44 am

i always thought that "pre-delay" was kind of key to that bounce.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Van Halen Reverb

Post by T.J.Fuller » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:42 pm

LypsLynch55 wrote:Hey folks,

New to this board, but like many, been trying to dial in that VH sound for awhile now. That panned EMT plate reverb is pretty intregal to the sound.
Are you trying to dial in the VH reverb for recording ???

or playing at home for fun or out in a club????
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:03 pm

Well, more so for "recording" right now...I'm really ashamed to admit this, but here is the short of it:

1) Played from 90-94. Sold all my amp stuff (all solid-state/rackmount, ie ADA Mp-1, etc).

2) Picked the guitar back up after Xmas 2005. Got a Guitarport and V-amp2. I barely use the V-amp2.

3) I dont have, nor did I ever have, a real tube amp. (I know, laughter here).

But, while the Pod is good for what it is, it doesnt have the feel, breath, headroom or responsiveness of a tube amp. I have been really into the guitar production aspect of EVH (Ibanez Destroyers, Hard Ash Strats, med-output p/ups (EVH, '59, Hybrid, CC, Bareknuckle VHII), 6-screw non-locking Tremolo, etc). I have all vintage MXR gear (Phase, Flanger, 6 band EQ), but now Im at the point where I realize that, to finalize my quest for the CVH tone, I need to "move some air" (get an amp). And Im trying to figure out if I can put together a 12 series '68 with my little brain (im slowly learning from the chatter on this forum...I just need to get a little more cajones to do it now).

So, for now, Im just interested in finding a good reverb setting to record with. Im using Adobe Audition 2 (Like Cool Edit) and have the Timeworks 4080 Reverb plug-in.

As far as pre-delay and "bounce", is it correct that more pre-delay makes it feel as if you (the listener) is standing further away from the amp(source)?

Ive learned more in one week on this board that all the other guitar resources out there put together - Big thanks is due here.

I sincerely, sincerely appreciate anyone's time and help with my questions.

Pauly
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:46 pm

The original Cool Edit Pro is a great software program for recording.

Alot of my musician friends pushed me that direction ( Adobe Audition).

Try this , it is basically what they did for VH 1 , recording guitar on 2 seperate tracks

Pan the first track Hard Left w/ pre-delay 330ms. w/ delay slightly mixed in.

2nd. track(pan hard right) should be the same signal but, add your reverb to it.

Only add reverb to the one track but, make it HEAVY on the reverb.

This will quickly get you into VH territory. that Big, Ambient,Cool sound

Listen to the intro of Lay it Down by Ratt.

Warren playing killer guitar using Eddie's recording techniques.

Same technique as above.
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Yeah, thats usually what I do....along those lines - dry to fairly dry on the left and dripping wet plate reverb on the right.

The hard part is recording with Guitarport - there is no way to record 'dry out' but 'monitor wet' that I know of....unless there is a way to add the verb on Cool Edit/Adobe and send it back, real-time to the guitarport Headphones/monitors. Because alot of VH feel is using that ambience (intro to YRGM w/the muting strings, etc).

You're basically saying add delay (say 10-20 ms) to the left (predelay (as in distance to the source ie traditional definition of predelay as applies to reverb) or pre-delay (as in an echo'ed signal being sent out of the speaker into the mic). I actually was fiddling with the above last night....

I should probably send some soundclips as they would be easier than typing it....

BTW, is there a more under-rated player than Warren D.? (maybe Vito Bratta, IMHO)

zak

Post by zak » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:08 pm

bump, im after some VH reverb settings also..

e.g. pre-delay, time/decay, diffusion ect ect.

ericopp

Post by ericopp » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:44 pm

LypsLynch,
What you've written about playing & your gear - I could have written myself verbatim - i.e. I've got the same history & current circumstances. Funny.

Anyhow, I'm now recording into my PC with Cakewalk Sonar and a number of plug-ins. My faves are the Lexicon verb and the Waves Renn Verb. I use the "plate" preset, mixed with a tiny bit of echo (around 300 ms - that has been crushed with EQ to simulate the tape echo sound) on different tracks so I can mix exactly the right sound.
With the "Brit High Gain" setting on the POD, I can kinda get that 2203 tone.

Like you, I'll be building a '68 at some point. Let us know how it goes.
-e
"If I can't play my guitar through a Marshall I would rather not play my guitar at all." - Justin Hawkins - The Darkness

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:52 pm

As a sound engineer at womb.mixerman.forum said, Ed's main REAL plate verb was left panned, the return Verb was boosted in the highs ( something ALL engineers did in the exclusive tape dayz) and a darker reverb ( or not EQ boosted?) was send to the reverb buss, but at a much dry/wet ratio. THe pre delays are ALL different, but 30-70ms is a nice starting area.

The Panning of the left reverb comes a little closer ( not hard left) and plate type and dry/wet mix ratio both generally shorten as recordings proceed to Diver Down....

Hope that helps..

Rockstah?

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 am

Yes, that helps...the question is - is there a Plug-in!?!??! Haha, the million dollar question.

That damn reverb on VH I and VH II is just so damn great. I know detractors say VHI is too much, but I love it.

There has never been a more synergistic use of effects w/o overkill than ATBL, IMHO. The all compliment one another - the verb, flanger, echo.

Awesome.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:01 am

it's interesting to listen to the reverb side ONLY of VH I. just listen to the right-side speaker. turn the left one off. that way you can hear a lot more detail of what's going on with the effects. the recipe varies from song to song.

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:31 am

Yes, there are a shit load of reverb plugz. I like the mid priced convolution reverbs, TL SPACE and IR (waves).

You can get altiverb, but that is about 600 usd?

ericopp

Post by ericopp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Using the verb to simulate Ed's plate is a little conterintuitive, IMHO.
Typically, most verbs have the highs (and lows) rolled OFF, as opposed to Ed's with the highs boosted. His verb actually has a lot of presence, i.e. boosted at 3khz and above. Usually, we do the opposite with most verb, so as not to make the dry signal sound darker than it is. Every time I hear VH1, I can't help but think: "Damn, that verb is HOT!"
"If I can't play my guitar through a Marshall I would rather not play my guitar at all." - Justin Hawkins - The Darkness

ToneDog

Post by ToneDog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Well what you are trying to emulate is this http://www.audioheritage.org/html/persp ... sunset.htm
If you are using any form of digital recording software (pro tools, logic etc) your best bet is to use a plugin with Convolution impulses. These are true digital impressions of actual reverb tanks in legendary studios such as sunset sound. No digital reverb will ever really sound like an old school tank.