Van Halen Reverb

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:57 pm

ToneDog wrote:Well what you are trying to emulate is this http://www.audioheritage.org/html/persp ... sunset.htm
If you are using any form of digital recording software (pro tools, logic etc) your best bet is to use a plugin with Convolution impulses. These are true digital impressions of actual reverb tanks in legendary studios such as sunset sound. No digital reverb will ever really sound like an old school tank.
yeah, I hear you! What a freakin monument of musical greatness - the people who recorded there read like a whos-whos of the US music scene for the past 40+years!
In fact, this shot:
http://www.audioheritage.org/images/mis ... 03-127.jpg

is where those famous "VH II" photos come from (Studio II) (Note - you can see the faded Gibson logo pretty clearly on the headstock in this shot:
Attachments
ed_studio.jpg
(66.18 KiB) Downloaded 4223 times
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal

WERNER1

Post by WERNER1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Good topic as I've never really picked apart the verb or delay on any of the old VH stuff ...just knew it was HEAVY! :)

So everyone's using plate verb to get that sound? .. A dryer signal with some ms's of delay on the left and some heavy verb on the right .... uh right? :)

I'm using AA 2.0 & 3.0 as well as sonar 6PE and I've got a BUTT load of plugins!! ...( Waves Mercury bundle and ton's more...) So I should be able to get pretty close in application .... I really want to move into the convolution verbs at some point,..but I don't really know a lot about those yet...

Rick

Mr Crumb

Post by Mr Crumb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:55 pm

EMT (or any plate) doesnt have a predelay. So How do they predelay a plate... :wink:
On Youtube:
• Mean Street Intro            • Eruption Noodling

Mr. Beasty

Post by Mr. Beasty » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Mr Crumb wrote:EMT (or any plate) doesnt have a predelay. So How do they predelay a plate... :wink:
I read somewhere that there would be an Eventide Delay (10ms) AND the EMT reverb on the guitar.
http://www.fuzzymonsters.com
http://www.myspace.com/fuzzymonsters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr Crumb

Post by Mr Crumb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Mr. Beasty wrote:
Mr Crumb wrote:EMT (or any plate) doesnt have a predelay. So How do they predelay a plate... :wink:
I read somewhere that there would be an Eventide Delay (10ms) AND the EMT reverb on the guitar.
That's it exactly. predelay and delaying a reverb are entirely different sounding.

I still cant seem to get the clarity from the reverbs I am using. Eddie has tons of reverb but his guitar isnt getting lost in it.
On Youtube:

leadguy

Re: Van Halen Reverb

Post by leadguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:30 am

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Best I have gotten is this

Dry guitar hard right
echo panned hard opposite left 100% wet slap delay [no dry signal here] at 120-140 ms-no feedback repeats to maybe a couple super short repeats like on ATBL-this is what feeds the plate its signal :wink:

Cause studio plates didn't have "pre-delay" controls back then from what I heard. Predelay is very important to a reverbs sound and appearant size. But some of todays reverb's "built in predelays" don't have that slap back attack like a tape delay can give.
I said it once and I'll say it again-that cheap ass line 6 echo park in tape mode is the cats ass for this especially :wink: Scoff if you want-but I'm serious as all hell.

When I use my echopark Line 6-closest thing I have to a tape delay in flavor-and feed that repeat alone into that verb acting as the "pre-delay" it simply sounds stunning and keeps all that verb from junkin up the source original and gettin muddy-allowing you to use that verb super wet and creating more space than the verb alone can muster. It delays the start of the verb effect away from the original source enough it keeps things clear and uncluttered.

Ever notice its like "echoed reverb" on the record more than anything else???

This is key. Its like a cross between a slap back delay and reverb pretty much.
Found it by feeding my EP killdry slap at 120 ms into my G-force
I panned all the input signal of the slap to one side internally in the g-force but put only put plate verb parallel on it mixed stereo about 50% in the g-force-it was the first time I ever had what I'd call a great reverb.
By the way that panned slap conitues straight though to audibly be heard on the opposite side of the dry tone at almost the same level while the verb is stereo on both sides-you just think its more on the one side cause of the slap echo delay being over there poppin out.

So guitar orignal one side-echo on the other side-feed the reverb from the slap echo signal only and viola-comes out wide open and huge like a shit house door after that :wink:

It takes some thinking about this-but once you get it happening you'll go "OH! So thats how they did it! :shock: "
A mixer with an auxillary send is almost a "must have" for this effect for sure of some kind. Like I said I ran things interanally in the g-force parallel for the verb but panned the echo to one side from which the verb was fed. But all the verb should see is the tape flavored slap delay sound.

This is why they call them fellas "studio/sound engineers" :lol: Cool trick and hard to find unless you go pokin around for it deliberatly doing it this way.
I had so many times tried to dial in that elusive verb and the verbs alone could never get it-anyway not until I added the slap back into the equation.

I can do it live easy-but I actually still only prefer delay on my guitar-Ed didn't use a verb at all live-but I understand if you're trying to record then you'll want this on recorded material for sure-as it does fill it out nice like the original records.
Its a simple trick but is actually complex as hell to pull off right.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:56 pm

Which brings me to another subject of slap back delay-its on just about everything even though you don't hear it by itself alone its there and makes a huge difference when you do it right.
Even alot of AC/DC's leads have a super short slap back on them as do some of the drums and stuff.
I could never figure out that full sound and fattness till a friend of mine who runs his own studio pointed out that small and almost undetectable trick using a super short delay at about 120-150 ms range with no repeats.

Its that damn thing you can't quite put your finger on-it don't sound like there is any echo really and has a reverb quality to it but it don't even have a tail so you know its not verb- :? -----its just slap back 8)

Does majic to your sound and makes it 3D as hell :wink:

The time is generally in the range I gave-but even the level and where its panned or located in the audio field and the flavor/timber of the delay itself-even the phase of the delayed sound and whether it has modulation or not all make these studio recorded sounds very obtainable live if you're crafty.
This is the reason I own a bunch of delays
Any time I demo my rig with or without delay like this they always instantly prefer the one with slap on it no question.
But doin it right and making it not sound cheesy really depends on the quality of the delay-and that delay doesn't need to cost alot-just have the right timber to it is all.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:32 pm

My guess is maybe it was an Eventide type delay of superior warm quality since eventide is known for that back in those days.
My g-Force delays don't get as hazy warmth as some other ones I got and don't work real well for this application-but as an example check out Brad Paisley-now right there is slap back up the wazoo on a clean tone to help you focus on that type of thing I am talking about.

Paisley is generally is known to use an analog pedal to get that fattening-there is ways upon ways of doing the same in the studio too-but this might help you hear it more for what it is.
Now adding some feedback repeats then you'll start sounding like rockabilly more than anything else-but with one flat out repeat its discrete and very subtle-Brad has this technique down cold.

Creates a "room type sound" while almost doubling your guitar and amp tone-thus giving the effect of having more dry sound than you do and in turn letting you add even more reverb than you could have had without swamping the signal.

You'll have to have the slap "almost" as exactly loud as the dry tone in level or volume-and turn the feedback off and play palm mute notes while listening for that ATBL quick slap Ed got and you're gonna start getting real close. ATBL has a couple repeats but most other songs on VH1 don't though. But just keep turning the time knob up and down in that 100-150ms range and listen to those palm muted notes.
Again-get the level almost identical to the dry-turn off the feedback-play palm mutes and listen as you pluck strings.
Too long of time will not be very tight sounding and seem less punchy and too loose-conversly too short of time won't give enough space and depth. Use your ear here.
And all this happens between 100-150ms.
Generally my dry cab is on one side and the slap on the other-sounds super huge.

Ever notice most reverbs today have pre-delays that range from off to 200ms????
That pre-delay is supposed to give the first and most important information of how big a room is since that represents the time it takes for the sound to start at the source-then travel to the wall-bounce back from the wall and travel the same distance again back to you ear. those "early reflections" can be simulated easy with a simple slap back delay while having no verb tail it still offers size to the sound.
But the high end rolloff of the delay and how well you can craft that treble top end of the repeat also plays a role in getting it to blend well and either support the source or overtake it. I prefer my slap to have a top end just slightly more but quite noticeably more subdued than the original. This is hard to fine tune and the lower more smeared less detailed delay repeats that are smoother in comparison like tape and analog work really well-so a straight up digital delay generally won't work very good for this and be too perfect and not hazy or coulded enough. This lo-fi type of replication and smoother subdued high end simulates the timber of a room like wooden floors and walls would do vs. the brittle bitey sound of tile.
The smoother woodier sound adds womp and fatness while able to stay sounding tight and natural while the brighter just gets more icepicky and unpleasant.

I can nail the sound easy since I have control over the timber of the delay and the delay volume and pan as well as full complete adjustment of the verbs same parameters so I can adjust not only the early reflection slap delay volume but the over all volume of the verb too. That stout early reflection mostly mono on one side opposite the dry sound and the verbs tail spread across in stereo on the rest of it.

Feed a dry signal and a delay slap to a killdry verb-instant mud :? trying to turn the mix up and down on the verb won't fix it or make it better.

Now feed it just the slap back delay alone-different and much clearer.

The volume and wetness of the verb sounds heavy for one reason-you can use a ton of slap almost or exactly equal to the dry sound in volume-this never creates mud if done right :wink: The slap can be really loud and not interfere with the dry easily.

Now you'll need very little actual reverb level mixed in from there to make it sound really wet when in reality it is not that wet. Slap is the key-thats the depth and size right there cranked up and in your face-the actual breathy reverb tail is really not that heavy or wet when you really listen to it. You may not want to have any predelay turned on in your verb itself since you're getting it from the slap delay now. But you can use a mix of the two together if you wanna play around some.
You hear the BIG ECHO slap and a softer quieter trail off of some verb tail there after. :mrgreen:
Verb is really complex and is why those are the most expensive stand alone FX you can sink money into and for good reason-its hard to make it sound good on some things if you don't have a clue what you're doing or what the adjustable parameters are supposed to do.
Think about "initial reflections [the slap]" and then think of the "breathy tail trail off sound". Those are the 2 most important reverb parameters there can possibly be. The rest is just EQing the tail to be bright or softer warmer and getting the right length of tail just right. Not to short and not too long. Just complimentary tail is all you need after all this stuff above is sorted out.
Think huge attack from the slap imitating early reverb "initial reflections" that are the heart and start of any reverb sound-when you get that down where it needs to be-then add tail 2nd and last and craft that by ear.
VH1 has to be the most creative and crafty blending of actual delay and verb used together to create that whole ambience on the record-and if you use the two together how they are really related to each other doors will open here.

I used to ask myself whats better-just delay or just reverb? I mainly stick with delay since its just as effective and more discrete. But on VH1 they optimized the use of both to the max.

Remember-slap times should be under 200ms-longer times aren't even on most reverbs predelay parameters. they usually only go up to 200ms. And when you get toward 200ms of predelay the verb starts to sound not so natural. 100-150 ms really is where the milliseconds should be for the early reflections simulation for this type of sound if thats what you're looking for.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:52 pm

a lot of interesting insights here. cool.
You'll have to have the slap "almost" as exactly loud as the dry tone in level or volume-and turn the feedback off and play palm mute notes while listening for that ATBL quick slap Ed got and you're gonna start getting real close.
imo - the "quick-slap" effect on ATBL is created by a longer delay that is "slapping" near the next note. it lands somewhere within about 100ms of the next note, not 100ms after the note itself.

i think if you listen to the very first note of ATBL you will hear that it is relatively dry because that rolling echo effect has not kicked in until the first note slaps the second note.

regarding getting a very wet sound without washing the dry sound away - consider a slight compression of the verb and delay using the sidechain of a compressor that is being fed by the dry signal only. this adjusts the verb's volume in real-time in relation to the dry signal's strength. over do it and it's weird pumping - but just a little squeeze on the verb helps the dry to maintain traction in the mix.

not saying they did or did not do this with ed's tracks - just entering it into this thread that is full of a lot of interesting ideas already.

-RAMSEY G.

tone_bone
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by tone_bone » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:37 pm

I've been doing lots of research on the "brown sound" and what I've found is that the delay is a little more important than the reverb. The delay gives you that deep "cavernous" sound and the reverb (slight) carries it a little farther. I've also read posts of different people trying to capture that sound, the best person who comes the closest in playing and tone is Rockstah. He almost does eddie better than eddie. Read his posts he'll tell ya, I've asked in other forums and he is really helpful. You want the sound talk to Rockstah and save countless hours of researching and chasing your own tail like I did. He has it down so well its disgusting! (joke).

Mr Crumb

Post by Mr Crumb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Rockstah comes closest to the early VH reverb I've heard. Maybe he'll chime in.
On Youtube:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

tone_bone wrote:I've been doing lots of research on the "brown sound" and what I've found is that the delay is a little more important than the reverb. The delay gives you that deep "cavernous" sound and the reverb (slight) carries it a little farther. I've also read posts of different people trying to capture that sound, the best person who comes the closest in playing and tone is Rockstah. He almost does eddie better than eddie. Read his posts he'll tell ya, I've asked in other forums and he is really helpful. You want the sound talk to Rockstah and save countless hours of researching and chasing your own tail like I did. He has it down so well its disgusting! (joke).
Exactly-thats what I tried to explain. The hugeness comes from the slap on the other side mostly from a delay and that doesn't obscure or clutter up stuff as bad.
Verb is not that heavy really if you listen and is fed from that slap-the slap can be really loud and the needed verb level is actually small if ran parallel and being fed by the slap alone.
Simulate loud early reflections with slap-then blend in a nice verb feeding from that and its another world of huge :wink:
Its really an echoey verb if you focus on it. You cannot get echo from verbs alone and has to be a careful mix of the two effects together.

To be honest-I don't even really use verb much-delay is all I really need for alot of things for adding space, width, dimension, fatness,-all can be done with delays.
It just depends on the timber or tone of the delay and what times your dialing in as well as how much feedback is added-which suprisingly is very little repeats for alot of this stuff and very short times too. :wink:

Once you got the slap echo down right-the rest is easy for me. But getting that slap right may make you go through a few delays to find what your after-all of them sound different. Level of that slap is touchy too and I find it is really pretty loud in relation to the source tone.
I bet it was an eventide delay in the studio carrying his sound to the verb chamber room or plate but I get great "warm woody room reflections" with a cheap Echo Park.
Todays music is heavily dependant on delay and alot less verb. Listen to how fat some of the guitars are but no verb-its mostly delay tricks but still makes the source sound mono when done right. Thats the reason for huge fat sounding seemingly dry tracks you hear today on other music.

Billy Gibbons I might add has that super dry but rich ambience doubled thick sound too using delay-again another tick or two with delay and probably the engineers or Billy's preference. But usually no tails to be heard of any reverb.
And each VH song kinda changes from one song to the next and album to album too though sticking with a very similar recipe-I think levels of the verb and delay and delay times change very little but those changes are audibly very noticeable. There are some spots the slaps not so loud and there are spots its just honkin in your face like ATBL or RWTD.

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:08 pm

rgalpin wrote:a lot of interesting insights here. cool.
You'll have to have the slap "almost" as exactly loud as the dry tone in level or volume-and turn the feedback off and play palm mute notes while listening for that ATBL quick slap Ed got and you're gonna start getting real close.
imo - the "quick-slap" effect on ATBL is created by a longer delay that is "slapping" near the next note. it lands somewhere within about 100ms of the next note, not 100ms after the note itself.

i think if you listen to the very first note of ATBL you will hear that it is relatively dry because that rolling echo effect has not kicked in until the first note slaps the second note.

regarding getting a very wet sound without washing the dry sound away - consider a slight compression of the verb and delay using the sidechain of a compressor that is being fed by the dry signal only. this adjusts the verb's volume in real-time in relation to the dry signal's strength. over do it and it's weird pumping - but just a little squeeze on the verb helps the dry to maintain traction in the mix.

not saying they did or did not do this with ed's tracks - just entering it into this thread that is full of a lot of interesting ideas already.

-RAMSEY G.
If I readin u write -
Ed stepped on the Echoplex just a ms after hitting that first note ?
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal

Dig
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Dig » Mon May 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I stumbled upon this forum and this thread by doing a google search for "Van Halen reverb".
I'll tell you up front that I'm not building an amp or modding or anything like that so I hope that doesn't disqualify me from interacting with you smart folks here. :) I've read a whole lot of stuff on this forum regarding re-amping, sunset studios, recording techniques etc. It's all very cool and I want to read more. (maybe someone should write a book about this stuff). What I want to know is how close can I come to getting this type of re-amped delayed-reverb, spacious sound for live application? ...and, of course, HOW? I'm not necessarily trying to replicate Van Halen records although I do go crazy over that sound. I'm also a big fan of Ratt; especially the guitar sound of their first two albums. It's not so much the plexi tone I'm after, but that tiny bit of delayed reverb that doesn't muddy the dry tone of whatever amp it is.
I have an all tube head that happens to have a post power tubes XLR (mic level) output. I know there must be a way to utilize that for my "re-amping" purposes. I want to be able to send two signals from my amp (both signals post output tubes). Signal 1) standard speaker output direct to speaker cabinet. Signal 2) needs to be able to run through some effects before being re-amped by another guitar amp. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. :)