Alnico II vs Alnico V (for early EVH)

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

cary chilton

Re: Alnico II vs Alnico V (for early EVH)

Post by cary chilton » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I said this before, sure the super 70 has more edge and sounds closer to the album post mix sound - but guys, racksystems already proved in SPADES where that edge and extra sizzle came from.... the JBL track that was mixed into the celestion track.
If you REALLY want the REAL tone ED had in his amp and celestion 4x12 you DON'T necessarily want the the pickup that has MORE edge and brightness at all.... It is already known has recorded with DRL using the same magic Marshall... which is warm and gainy, not super bright... That is the source or the character of the his tone. So even with the phase 90, the 1176's, studio EQ'ing, the JBL's his tone still sounds pleasing. If his core tone was in anyway thinner and Ted added the above to the signal chain, EVH's tone would have been legendary at all.
Don't forget, in their are any recordists here, if the source signal has more resonance the better... adding highs with a JBL or with EQ pedal, EQ outboard or your DAW is easier and more natural sounding than trying to put bass in..... if you disagree, I am all ears. ;)

StuntDouble
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by StuntDouble » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:54 pm

cary chilton wrote:I said this before, sure the super 70 has more edge and sounds closer to the album post mix sound - but guys, racksystems already proved in SPADES where that edge and extra sizzle came from.... the JBL track that was mixed into the celestion track.
If you REALLY want the REAL tone ED had in his amp and celestion 4x12 you DON'T necessarily want the the pickup that has MORE edge and brightness at all.... It is already known has recorded with DRL using the same magic Marshall... which is warm and gainy, not super bright... That is the source or the character of the his tone. So even with the phase 90, the 1176's, studio EQ'ing, the JBL's his tone still sounds pleasing. If his core tone was in anyway thinner and Ted added the above to the signal chain, EVH's tone would have been legendary at all.
Don't forget, in their are any recordists here, if the source signal has more resonance the better... adding highs with a JBL or with EQ pedal, EQ outboard or your DAW is easier and more natural sounding than trying to put bass in..... if you disagree, I am all ears. ;)
Kenung,

However, it's not just a matter of one pup having more top-end than another. There are other variables to consider, and IMHO A2 pups influence the amp in ways that I don't hear until later on in Ed's sound. There's a "furriness" and a little bit of "fuzziness" to an A2 in the mids and low-mids that is all over Fair Warning and 1984, but I don't hear it at all in the 1st 3 albums...and I definitely can't hear it in VH1, which isn't to say I'm right...I just don't hear it.
What I do hear is a rasp and a scratchiness to the top-end that sounds like an MXR 6 band EQ pushing the front-end. In addition, to my ears, the A2 influences the nature of the breakup of the amp in a way that just sounds diferent to me, and I don't know that I can do an adequate job of describing it other than to borrow Mark's description that "it is more laid back with less headroom"...a softer attack, wheras an A5 to some degree and especially an A8 has an "imediacy" to it that makes it just snap out at you. A2s remind me of pouring syrup from a bottle, there's a little lag and it's like you gotta wait for it; listen to "Drop Dead Legs"; there's just a gooiness when he digs into the strings that is so A2, and I'm not downing it; I freakin love it.
The mids of the A8 are so radically different than the other two, that to me it's so hard to re-create by EQ'ing, it just has that characteristic "quack" that distinguishes it from other pups, and I think early on, that's why Ed had the EQ with the mid-boost going on in front of amp1, b/c the A8 can sound scooped and a little goofey without it. From my experience using both the MXR 6 band and the GE-10, that setting tames the highs, tightens up the lows and fattens the mids and just makes the A8 sound pissed...esp the MXR EQ in a way that is characteristically VH1. If you go back and A/B Strat78's A5 and A8 mighty mite clips it is just night and day, and I gotta say that sealed the deal for my ears as to what the pup was in frankie for VH1...like I said, just my ears though; I've been wrong once or twice before. :wink:

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:34 am

double post
Last edited by cary chilton on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 am

StuntDouble wrote:
cary chilton wrote:I said this before, sure the super 70 has more edge and sounds closer to the album post mix sound - but guys, racksystems already proved in SPADES where that edge and extra sizzle came from.... the JBL track that was mixed into the celestion track.

Kenung,

However, it's not just a matter of one pup having more top-end than another. There are other variables to consider, and IMHO A2 pups influence the amp in ways that I don't hear until later on in Ed's sound. There's a "furriness" and a little bit of "fuzziness" to an A2 in the mids and low-mids that is all over Fair Warning and 1984, but I don't hear it at all in the 1st 3 albums...and I definitely can't hear it in VH1, which isn't to say I'm right...I just don't hear it.
What I do hear is a rasp and a scratchiness to the top-end that sounds like an MXR 6 band EQ pushing the front-end. In addition, to my ears, the A2 influences the nature of the breakup of the amp in a way that just sounds diferent to me, and I don't know that I can do an adequate job of describing it other than to borrow Mark's description that "it is more laid back with less headroom"...a softer attack, wheras an A5 to some degree and especially an A8 has an "imediacy" to it that makes it just snap out at you. A2s remind me of pouring syrup from a bottle, there's a little lag and it's like you gotta wait for it; listen to "Drop Dead Legs"; there's just a gooiness when he digs into the strings that is so A2, and I'm not downing it; I freakin love it.
The mids of the A8 are so radically different than the other two, that to me it's so hard to re-create by EQ'ing, it just has that characteristic "quack" that distinguishes it from other pups, and I think early on, that's why Ed had the EQ with the mid-boost going on in front of amp1, b/c the A8 can sound scooped and a little goofey without it. From my experience using both the MXR 6 band and the GE-10, that setting tames the highs, tightens up the lows and fattens the mids and just makes the A8 sound pissed...esp the MXR EQ in a way that is characteristically VH1. If you go back and A/B Strat78's A5 and A8 mighty mite clips it is just night and day, and I gotta say that sealed the deal for my ears as to what the pup was in frankie for VH1...like I said, just my ears though; I've been wrong once or twice before. :wink:
wo liao jia ni de yi si ke shi ni da gai wan ji yi ge fei chang de shi :P

Recording techniques! Mic's, positions, room size and type, compressors, EQ's, recording onto tape -with it's coloring, and the mix. That is a huge factor, too. That is why Ed's tone sounds quite different and yet the same on each recording despite the fact that he used the same amp throughout the FLR recordings... 8)
Also the amp itself it is hugely important, dont' believe me. Ask Peter Thorn, sinasl1 or rockstah to take their best EVH-like sounding guitar and play through any off the shelf amp from a local music store.... :wink:

StuntDouble
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by StuntDouble » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:16 am

haha...ok, I'm gonna need tones or characters for that. Ni shuo shenme? Wo putunghua shuo de bu hao; dui bu chi. :lol:

"ji", as in to remember or record?

absolutely, and there's no denying that. If you took Ed's franky, from it's earliest incarnation on, and plugged it into a differnt rig, it ain't gonna sound right. I agree with you that everything is culmulative. However, even with all of the recording techniques...shit load of mics and gobs of reverb, speakers, and I had a JBL D120 briefly and sold it...the urei mic pres, you just can't get away from the core tone that is comprised of the player, the guitar and the amp.

I think Leadguy is right; you can can compensate with EQ'ing and recording techniques and change the frequency response of an A2 and make it sound more like an A5 or A8 even, but you can't change the feel and the way it behaves. The feel is completely different, and I promise to record some clips when I get home...shitty as my playing is, b/c unless I'm just tonedeaf and need to hang it up, VH1 is comprised largely of the Destroyer/Super70 and an A8 mighty mite/distortion something or other equipped strat with an MXR or GE-10 EQ pushing the shit out of the front end of a 2 marshall slave setup through a Jose load box with the effects setup very close to how Mr. Crumb described. If I try it and it's shit, I will post it anyways and you guys can flame away and say I told ya so. :lol:

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:46 am

The boots from late 1976 where Ed is using the Destroyer are Super 70 boots because the photos from late 1976 show Ed with stock Super 70s.

The drive and tone is in the raw RWTD Celestion clip as well as the JBL clip. The JBL clip sounds brighter and has more speaker distortion. The JBLs tone is not the same as a A8's tone or even similar.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:55 am

WHISKEY A GO GO- HOLLYWOOD 1977 Super 70s but I think it should be the Starwood 1977 around the 30 April 1977

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0327287051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

uiovbged332
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by uiovbged332 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:17 pm

Nike Huarache
Shoes GGDB
Harden shoes
Retro Jordan
Moncler Jacket
Red Bottoms Louboutin
Nike Air Force 1
Mens Nike
Nike Outlet Store Online Shopping
Red Bottoms
Jordan Shoes
Adidas NMD R1
Balenciaga Triple S
Moncler Outlet Online
ECCO Shoes For Men
Valentino Shoes
Yeezys Shoes
Pandora Charms
Nike Air Max 270
Fitflops Clearance Outlet
Jordan 11s
Yeezy Shoes
Golden Goose Sneakers
Nike Air Force One
Jordan Sneakers
Jordans Sneakers
Nike Shoes
Jordan 12 Retro
Air Jordan 6
Nike Factory
Moncler Outlet Store
Jordan 4
Nike Shoes Outlet
Air Jordan
Jordan 11 Win Like 96
Golden Goose Shoes
Air Jordan 11
Air Jordan 5 Retro
Jackets Moncler
Cheap Jordan Shoes
Jordan 11 For Sale
Jordan Retro 11
Golden Goose Mid Star
Jordan 12
Air Jordan Sneakers
Christian Louboutin
Pandora Charms
Air Jordan 3
Moncler Coat
Jordan 9
Nike Shoes For Men
Jordan 4
Nike Factory Outlet
Jordan Retro 11 Mens
Nike Shoes Women
Yeezys
Golden Goose Sneakers
Jordan Retro
Jordan Shoes
Pandora Canada Jewelry
Jordan 1
Pandora Jewelry
Golden Goose Sneakers Outlet
Jordan 11
Golden Goose Sneakers Sale
Air Jordan 11
Balenciaga Triple S
Jordans Sneakers
Kyrie Shoes
New Jordans
Pandora Canada
Air Jordan 12
Ferragamo Outlet
Pandora Official Site
Moncler
Jordan 4
GGDB
Golden Goose Sneakers
Pandora
Air Jordan
Golden Goose Outlets
Women Moncler Vest
Kanken Backpack
Sneakers GGDB
Hermes Birkin Bag
Air Jordan Retro 6
Jordan 4 Retro
Pandora Jewelry
Nike Shoes Sale
Adidas Yeezy
Nike Official Website
Pandora Jewelry
Yeezys
Louboutin Shoes
Pandora Ring
Jordan 11 Low
Jordan Retro
Golden Gooses Sneakers
Soccer Shoes
Nike Snkrs
Nike Outlet
Red Bottoms Louboutin
Jordan 13
Jordan Retro 12
Nike Outlet Store Online Shopping
Jordan 5 Retro
Air Jordan 8
Fitflop Sandals
Pandora Rings
Adidas Yeezy
Nike Air Max 90
Air Jordan 10
Nike Air Max 98
Jordan Retro 3
Retro Jordans
Nike Shoes
Jordan Shoes For Men
Pandora
Air Max 95
Air Jordan 11
Moncler Jackets
NMD
New Jordans
Jordan 6 Rings
Jordan 11
Jordan 11 GYM Red
James Harden Shoes
Air Jordan 14
Ferragamo Outlet
Air Max 2018
Jordan 11's
Jordans 5
Moncler Jackets
Jordan Shoes
Pandora Bracelet
Air Max

uiovbged332
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by uiovbged332 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:49 pm

New Jordans
Cheap Jordan
Nike Jordan
Off White x Nike
Nike Canada
Jordans 23
Nike Air Force 1
Air Jordan 13
Fjallraven Kanken
Air Jordan 20
Nike Canada